OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
 
Member
@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
UTC quote
Does anybody have any tips of removing a completely rusted and stuck centre stand on a Vespa LXV125?
I've been fighting with this thing all morning, ended up taking an angle grinder to the nut thinking it might then just slide out from the other side - no chance!!
Been whacking it with a lump hammer for over 30mins and it has not moved a mm.
Is this thing threaded or something??
Has anyone had similar and managed to come up with a way to remove it?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
 
Member
@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
UTC quote
My next attempt was to grind the head off the bolt and see if I could hammer it through from that side… trouble is the exhaust gets in the way, ideally I don't want to start removing the exhaust too as there must be a way to do it without that??
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12109
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
Joined: UTC
Posts: 12109
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
UTC quote
I can only recall that mine was a right PITA. It's a smooth rod, not threaded, but corrosion almost welds it in place. I'd used some peneyrating fluid which didn't do much, and wound up banging the hell out of it with a punch. It came out eventually, and I vowed never to put off that job so long.

There well may be some discussion in the past, so you might try the search at the top of the page.

Not sure heat is advisable in that location, but it's the only other thing that might help.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
 
Member
@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
UTC quote
That's reassuring that I not just making a meal of it 😊
I ended up grinding the bolt head off too, but still no luck. No matter how hard I whack it, the thing won't budge from either side!

Thrown the towel in for today, gonna have another attempt tomorrow
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
Joined: UTC
Posts: 424
Location: Dahlonega, GA
 
Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
Joined: UTC
Posts: 424
Location: Dahlonega, GA
UTC quote
Crocko2 wrote:
My next attempt was to grind the head off the bolt and see if I could hammer it through from that side… trouble is the exhaust gets in the way, ideally I don't want to start removing the exhaust too as there must be a way to do it without that??
Exhaust removal is 3 torx bolts and loosening the mid exhaust collar.... 5 minutes. You'll spend more time working around the exhaust than simply removing it.
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 151
Location: North Alabama
 
Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 151
Location: North Alabama
UTC quote
Crocko2 wrote:
That's reassuring that I not just making a meal of it 😊
I ended up grinding the bolt head off too, but still no luck. No matter how hard I whack it, the thing won't budge from either side!

Thrown the towel in for today, gonna have another attempt tomorrow
You need a bigger hammer.

OFG
UTC

Member
Vespa Primavera 125 2014
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14
Location: London
 
Member
Vespa Primavera 125 2014
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14
Location: London
UTC quote
Crocko2 wrote:
Does anybody have any tips of removing a completely rusted and stuck centre stand on a Vespa LXV125?
I've been fighting with this thing all morning, ended up taking an angle grinder to the nut thinking it might then just slide out from the other side - no chance!!
Been whacking it with a lump hammer for over 30mins and it has not moved a mm.
Is this thing threaded or something??
Has anyone had similar and managed to come up with a way to remove it?
I have the same issue - the nut and bolt head simply sheared off at both ends leaving enough metal to secure the stand. When I was attempting to undo the nut I could hear a creaking sound which indicated that bolt had started to turn but is heavily corroded and was just twisting / flexing.

I had tried hammering on the spindle with a hefty sledgehammer to no avail. Looks like the best solution is to take the engine out for better access so that anti seize spray or submerging the corroded part - what a nuisance.

The stand has been in place for 10 years and the Vespa has been used in all weathers from new so no surprise given that the spindle was never greased from the factory.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
Get the right size 6 sided socket on the bolt head and give it a CCW turn. Not turning? Get a longer racket handle or use a pipe to give your more leverage. Still no go" Get a impact wrench on it. That will either turn it or it will shear off the bolt head (doubtful) Point is that once you get it to turn, you should be able to drive it out. Even if you drive it in a small amount, that will give you the ability to get some penetrating fluid in there while tilting it. At this point, you could also apply some heat to the bottom away from the tire. You'll get it.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
 
Member
@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Get the right size 6 sided socket on the bolt head and give it a CCW turn. Not turning? Get a longer racket handle or use a pipe to give your more leverage. Still no go" Get a impact wrench on it. That will either turn it or it will shear off the bolt head (doubtful) Point is that once you get it to turn, you should be able to drive it out. Even if you drive it in a small amount, that will give you the ability to get some penetrating fluid in there while tilting it. At this point, you could also apply some heat to the bottom away from the tire. You'll get it.
Unfortunately I have removed the head of the bolt now… so just gonna have to get a heavier hammer on it😬
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1182
Location: Tucson, AZ
 
Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1182
Location: Tucson, AZ
UTC quote
Maybe heat the bottom of the bolt housing with a propane torch and introduce penetrating oil into the ends before returning to percussive maintenance?

I'd recommend PB Blaster, but I'm unsure if that's available in the UK. Maybe Kroil?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 7092
Location: Tega Cay, SC
UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
Maybe heat the bottom of the bolt housing with a propane torch and introduce penetrating oil into the ends before returning to percussive maintenance?

I'd recommend PB Blaster, but I'm unsure if that's available in the UK. Maybe Kroil?
Yep, PBblaster is always my go-to.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Member
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
 
Member
@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
Joined: UTC
Posts: 22
Location: Bath, UK
UTC quote
Trouble is there is no gap anywhere to put any penetrating spray in…
Tried drilling it out today, still no joy just kept slipping and causing more damage
Arrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0100s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]