UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Oh I was hoping for a little older and not so needy looking ~
Lucky~
chad wrote:
Lucky Bastard wrote:
2 feet of snow... Thats no problem for those blonde haired blue eyes gals with the super long legs in WI....
I am going shopping their someday.
Lucky~
chad wrote:
yeah, i know, i'm just owly today. 2 feet of snow and all.
on every streetcorner man!

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

oh crap, now i'm going to get in trouble.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
alright, i guess i need to shut up. about 10 posts back in this thread i wrote that i renewed my subscription. that was like 2 days ago. the mail just came and they express mailed me my mag and the shirt i ordered.

so, i guess i'll shut up now, i was wrong.
@buglake avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90

Ossessionato
@buglake avatar
2x '06 GT200 ~ '78 P200 ~ '73 Vespa 90
UTC quote
I love Scoot! It usually arrives at Motorsports a few days ahead of the one that comes in my mail. I preview it there, then tap my foot and patiently wait for USPS.

The only problem I have ever incountered is that Mr. buglake makes off with it first.

Great Rally report in #43, Lucky! And April read my mind over at Scoot! I am have been craigslisting 'moped' since summer and will soon find yet another distraction from creating a productive life for myself. I enjoyed the Moped issue.

Gitta
UTC

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
nickandsusan wrote:
chad wrote:
the thing that really annoys me with scoot is that sooner or later, somebody from there will come on here or stella speed or the scooter bbs or whatever and have a big sob story about how things are busy or whatever the current excuse is.

for me though, it's like, if you can't send it out, don't publish it and/or take my money then.

there's always some big sob story, but i ain't much for crying.
Good point, then don't subscribe. Those who really want the mag will find it at Borders or another book store.

I think you missed my point though..they ARE a very small publication, and do run into snafus. The magazine was not started as a money making scheme. It is a magazine for scooterists by scooterists, and we need to support our small community. They work very hard each month to get the magazine out and to the subscribers.
I'm all for supporting small business especially when it's scooter related but shouldn't they be making sure the folks who have paid for this magazine in advance and in good faith, actually get said magazine.
I've sent emails and not gotten any replies.
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
I picked up #43 from Motorsport yesterday. I was amused by this little burb on page 48 by General Abe of Battlescooter.com:

Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard the song or seen the video for "Throw a Kit" by Hollywood Holt. Well, let's say you've been missing out if you didn't hear the song or see the video. "Throw a Kit" is the coolest video I've ever seen and it makes me wonder why no one has done the same for scooters. I know we have Quadrophenia but what about something with modern scooterists? I digress.

Uh, you mean like this? http://gogreenchallenge.vespausa.com/video/?d=83

But I digress...
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 125 LX and Lambretta SX 200

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
ScooterNana wrote
Quote:
I'm all for supporting small business especially when it's scooter related but shouldn't they be making sure the folks who have paid for this magazine in advance and in good faith, actually get said magazine.
I've sent emails and not gotten any replies.
Let me start by saying that I do appreciate small firms who are trying to develop but I must agree with the comment above.
I suppose I will have to wait for my lucky number to come up in the distribution lottery and hope that I eventually get #43

It doesn't take a degree in rocket science surely to post magazines to subscribers (don't forget if it wasn't for the likes of me who part with money up front there would not be any income - no business!). Surely you put it in an appropriate envelope, fill in the customs declaration form and send it or am I missing something very obvious.

If the current dispatchers are incapable of ensuring delivery then perhaps Scoot should look elsewhere.

I have dealt with Jettin Industries twice recently and their packages arrived within one week of ordering (and they answer e mails) so what is the problem here?

UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Re: two feet of snow
Lucky Bastard wrote:
2 feet of snow... Thats no problem for those blonde haired blue eyes gals with the super long legs in WI....
I am going shopping their someday.
Lucky~
Yeah....I went there about 7 years ago and brought one home here to AZ!!!!!!!

and yes....they are blonde, blue, and super long
@prcrstn8 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT

Addicted
@prcrstn8 avatar
2006 GT
UTC quote
Funny, two copies of #43 arrived this week, one with a preprinted mailing label, the other addressed by hand. WTF?

Anyone want one? Offer up a donation to MV and it's yours.
@willmw avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250, BV250

Addicted
@willmw avatar
MP3 250, BV250
UTC quote
prcrstn8 wrote:
Funny, two copies of #43 arrived this week, one with a preprinted mailing label, the other addressed by hand. WTF?

Anyone want one? Offer up a donation to MV and it's yours.
You have PM.
@prcrstn8 avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 GT

Addicted
@prcrstn8 avatar
2006 GT
UTC quote
So do you.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Well according to previous posts issue 43 has been out for 2 weeks now and I still haven't received mine. What the hell is going on. Can't someone sort this out - can't do much 3000+ miles away!!
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
I subscribed and got one issue. Actually I have lots of issues, but that's a different story... If it came out weekly I would buy it, but it seems it comes out weakly.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I just renewed
I just renued my subscription~

Hopefully they start flowing to me again.
April sent me a nice e-mail she is sending me a copy of the Scoot Issue with the Tahoe Rally write up.

I havent seen it yet.
Cheers,
Lucky~
@nola_john avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS, PX125E, P200

Addicted
@nola_john avatar
GTS, PX125E, P200
UTC quote
Re: I just renewed
Lucky Bastard wrote:

April sent me a nice e-mail she is sending me a copy of the Scoot Issue with the Tahoe Rally write up.

I havent seen it yet.
Cheers,
Lucky~
Lucky,
what issue is the Tahoe rally in?
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Mala Mujer and I last night somehow ended up talking over dinner about the magazine formerly known as Scoot Quarterly. I had mentioned that I was surprised that I haven't seen it at any of the local Barnes and Noble or Borders Bookstores and that the only place that I've been able to find it in San Diego so far has been at Motorsport Scooters. She suggested that maybe we should get a subscription but I told her I was reluctant to considering what I'd read here. So, of course, the moped issue came in the mail today apparently as part of a Xmas gift subscription from someone.

The handwritten mailing label was addressed to: "Dot TAEORI" So, I'm thinking someone needs a Scooby Snack.

Anyone need a copy of the moped issue?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Re: I just renewed
Issue #43 December 2007
Lucky~
NOLa John wrote:
Lucky Bastard wrote:

I havent seen it yet.
Cheers,
Lucky~
Lucky,
what issue is the Tahoe rally in?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Scotter wrote:
I picked up #43 from Motorsport yesterday. I was amused by this little burb on page 48 by General Abe of Battlescooter.com:

Unless you've been living under a rock you've heard the song or seen the video for "Throw a Kit" by Hollywood Holt. Well, let's say you've been missing out if you didn't hear the song or see the video. "Throw a Kit" is the coolest video I've ever seen and it makes me wonder why no one has done the same for scooters. I know we have Quadrophenia but what about something with modern scooterists? I digress.

But I digress...
no that doesn't cut it...one has soul the other is just a commercial
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
DaBinChe wrote:
Scotter wrote:

But I digress...
no that doesn't cut it...one has soul the other is just a commercial
I catch your drift but I think you're being a little harsh on the Tomos dealer. Just because Mr. Holt runs WARBUX MOPEDS in Chicago and mentions Tomos in "Throw A Kit" doesn't mean he doesn't have soul. I like both tunes and I'm no play-ah hate-ah. Word.
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super

Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
I have had to write to Scoot Quarterly for every mag I have received since I took up a subscription about 6 mo ago. Yestday I asked for my money back. I can find it quicker at Barnes and Nobels and at my local Coburns grocery store...ya can you believe that ...a grocery store gets the new magazines before a subscriber. Shame on Scoot Quarterly. If they would at least address the fact that they have a subscription mailing problem and explain what they are doing to correct it would help, but all you see is how fancy and updated their website has become at the cost of their subscriber. I wish there were more mags to choose from.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
If mine doesn't arrive by end of year then I shall be demanding a refund of my subscription. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of buying from Barnes and Noble or a local grocer shop!! Shame on you Scoot, get your act together or you will go under.
@macloo avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150

Hooked
@macloo avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I got my copy yesterday. It's my first one! I just subscribed about two weeks ago. And it's nice!

But if this is the only one I ever receive, I'll be kinda annoyed ...
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Glad you received yours macloo. Seems they have forgotten how to get the magazine to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Strange because when I first subscribed, issue 42 arrived within 2 weeks. Then another copy of issue 42 arrived. So it is possible to get them over the pond. So what has gone wrong?
UTC

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500

Hooked
2007 Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
Rogthemod wrote:
Glad you received yours macloo. Seems they have forgotten how to get the magazine to cross the Atlantic Ocean. Strange because when I first subscribed, issue 42 arrived within 2 weeks. Then another copy of issue 42 arrived. So it is possible to get them over the pond. So what has gone wrong?
They can't get it up to Canada either apparently.
I'm thinking they get the first one to you then forget about you. I haven't gotten any since the first one came back in August.
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster
UTC quote
I'm missing my latest issue of MicroCar News. Conspiracy?
@dibber avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie Super

Hooked
@dibber avatar
GTS300ie Super
UTC quote
When I first subscribed I also bought a beeny (stocking cap) $10.00 too. I got that magazine and beeny in a few weeks, but the 2nd and now the 3rd issue have been a different story.
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
A few points on this thread:

Ten years ago, there were zero scooter magazines in america, now there are a few pretty darn good ones. They all have issues (no pun intended) with distribution and timeliness, basically if you're not Conde Nast and printing and mailing millions of copies of several magazines a month, it's nearly impossible to circulate a magazine.

Magazine income comes from advertising, not subscriptions. generally most of the subscription price is just covering mailing, in Scoot's case, their sub cost is higher because they don't do enough volume to get a super-cheap shipping rate like most national magazines.

I'm amazed Scoot gets the advertising support they do, but I bet they have to work hard for it, judging from the small amount of advertising we're able to get in American Scooterist, and how much hassle we have to go through to get it, they're working their asses off.

The bookstores get it before you do because Scoot ships it in bulk to a distributor who ships it in bulk to the national chains, who then distribute the magazines to stores themselves (I'm pretty sure that's how it works). For American Scooterist, we spend way more than a bigger magazine would pay for shipping, and still, it takes weeks to get to readers.

I'm not saying it's excusable or whatever, but I think that's the core reason they're late, they're just stuck in a bad spot, circulation-wise. Their staff can't keep up with the growth of the scene, but they're not in a cost-effective circulation range. Most magazines don't make as far as they have, and the few that do find they'll have to make some sort of transition, or fold under their own weight. "Transition" usually means they're picked up by a national magazine chain, who will take over editorially and strip the magazine of its voice and make it bland and cater to advertisiers (ie it'll be full of chinese scooter reviews every month). If they make it that far, subscribers are often disappointed with the corporate takeover and they tank anyway. How many seemingly successful magazines have you seen flop at the height of their popularity? Spy, Might, Ray Gun, etc... All the magazines I've ever truly loved -- The Baffler, Your Flesh, Emigre, McSweeneys -- they came out when they felt like it, and it was always worth the wait.

So if that's what you want, fine. I'd rather be patient and know I'm getting a great magazine that's written and published by people I know and like, and in fact the very people that made scootering popular in America again. The entire current scooter boom can be traced back to probably a couple dozen people, and Barry and Casey (and Josh and April) are certainly on that list. I think it's fair to say that Scoot! has an awful lot to do with the popularity of scootering in America today and if Scoot! had never existed, 3/4 of the people on this list wouldn't be scooterists today.

So complain all you want and cancel your subscriptions, scrooges, but when you're on the phone with Josh, be sure to thank him for all he's done for you.

It sucks to think that sucess is Scoot!'s biggest threat. I sure hope they pull through it and can maybe staff up and keep chugging along without having to sell out to someone, or worse yet, have Primedia or some other huge chain start their own bland housewives-and-little-girls scooter magazine that'll put Scoot! out of buisness after they've worked so hard. Sooner or later this boom is going to end, (PiaggioUSA, specifically, is doing everything they can to blow their chances of long-term survival) and in another ten years, the same handful of people that made the boom happen are going to be the only ones still around to help you with your GTSes and LXes.
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
Is there anyone on this list that remembers planning rallies a year in advance, so we could airmail a LETTER to Scootering magazine in the UK to ask them to list it, so that nine months later when we finally tracked down a 2-month old issue of Scootering at Borders (for $8.95) we could find out about the three or four rallies in the U.S., drive halfway across the country and be excited to meet a dozen or two (at best) other scooterists?

Or how exciting it was to see a tiny photo of yourself at a March 1995 rally in the August 1996 issue of Scootering? Heh.

Just thank the scooter gods you never had to endure the mailbox disappointments of 2strokebuzz, PDX Scooter Rider, It's Not a Moped, Dammit, Hoi Polloi, Kinder Nacht, etc. : )

Bb.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Illnoise I've read your post with interest. I don't disagree with you at all that trying to develop a magazine is difficult but surely there is a limit to the excuses that are being put forward. I would certainly not regard myself as a scrooge if I were to decide to cancel my subscription. It has nothing to do with saving a few bucks but more to do with paying in good faith for a service which is just not being delivered. I am a recent subscriber but from reading the posts it is quite clear that many subscribers have suffered from the failure to deliver. Each time we pay for goods or a service we expect to receive what we have paid for. Why should Scoot be treated any differently. I wish them every success but if they carry on treating their customers like this then people are going to stop buying their product.

Good communications are essential to the success of any business and the fact that e mails go unanswered. is not acceptable. Perhaps if e mails were responded to we subscribers would understand more what is the problem and perhaps be a little more sympathetic.

I don't for one minute doubt that the staff at Scoot are totally comitted and do a sterling job but it's about time that they paid heed to the groundswell of complaints from their subscribers and did something about it.

I have said before, you don't need a degree in rocket science to put magazines in envelopes, complete the paper work and put them in the post. It Scoot took the trouble to explain the nature of their problems, then this would help us to have a clearer understanding of the situation. Without any response to e mails then it is quite understandable that subscribers become frustrated and draw their own conclusions about the cause of the difficulties.

Here's an open challenge to Scoot (if they read the forum). Please tell us why you are having difficulties and what you are doing about them. This is your chance for you to put forward your side of the story. Can't be fairer than that. Continued silence will harm no-one but yourselves.
OP
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
As a tip for you guys that are having problems with subscription delivery, cancel your subscription and buy the mag at your local dealer! It will be a nice trip, it's ONLY every other month, and come on, your dealer misses you ever since you learned to do your own service. You never call, you never write.....
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Scoot number 43
buglake wrote:
Great Rally report in #43, Lucky! Gitta
Thanks it was fun to write. Of coures I have a personal editor or else it would look as ugly as one of my posts here on MV.

Scoot Magazine sent me a free copy for the write up. Can't wait to do the Tahoe Rally in 2008. Its gunna be a ton of fun again.

Cheers,
Lucky~
@ellen avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125, Honda Metropolitan

Addicted
@ellen avatar
Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125, Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
For years I had Scoot! delivered, never knew if it came late because I really didn't pay attention to the delivery calendar, but it always came.

Anyway, I decided to support my dealer and buy it from them instead.
It's a good excuse to stop by, check out their new stock and also pick up my a free copy of Scooter World.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Good tip drewteague. Wouldn't mind a trip to New York every other month but it could work out a bit expensive!
@dongoose avatar
UTC

Addicted
GT 200L named Prosciutto

Addicted
@dongoose avatar
GT 200L named Prosciutto
UTC quote
I like the Scoot, whenever it comes.
@batgirl101 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTV/ 2012 Buddy 170i / '72 Rally 200

Hooked
@batgirl101 avatar
2007 GTV/ 2012 Buddy 170i / '72 Rally 200
UTC quote
Quote:
and if Scoot! had never existed, 3/4 of the people on this list wouldn't be scooterists today
i would be curious to know how true this statement is---i personally have only read perhaps 2 issues of Scoot, both years after getting my scooter.
@willmw avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250, BV250

Addicted
@willmw avatar
MP3 250, BV250
UTC quote
I didn't know it existed until I read about it here...and I didn't know 'here' existed until I got my MP3. I didn't know MP3 existed until I stumbled upon a photo on...I think...MSN.
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
UTC quote
illnoise wrote:
I think it's fair to say that Scoot! has an awful lot to do with the popularity of scootering in America today and if Scoot! had never existed, 3/4 of the people on this list wouldn't be scooterists today.
I think what Beeb means is that it took a mag like Scoot! to convince Piaggio there was a significant enough market here in North America to make the return and sell Vespa again. For Honda and Yamaha to market their scooters over here it took Piaggio to announce that Vespa was making a comeback. Most other Asian scooter manufacturers just followed the money.
illnoise wrote:
It sucks to think that sucess is Scoot!'s biggest threat. I sure hope they pull through it and can maybe staff up and keep chugging along without having to sell out to someone, or worse yet, have Primedia or some other huge chain start their own bland housewives-and-little-girls scooter magazine that'll put Scoot! out of buisness after they've worked so hard. Sooner or later this boom is going to end, (PiaggioUSA, specifically, is doing everything they can to blow their chances of long-term survival) and in another ten years, the same handful of people that made the boom happen are going to be the only ones still around to help you with your GTSes and LXes.
True. I must be difficult for any for-profit enterprise to ask for help, but it sounds like Scoot! needs a little. If I was in San Jose, I'ld love to volunteer at Scoot!'s world HQ, helping them in the distribution/subscription dept. It seems to be the lone deficiency and if what you say is true it's really going to hurt the whole scooter scene.

If labour is the factor which inhibits us from getting the magazine ( print addresses onto stickers, sticker each mag, pay postage, mail) then perhaps hiring a competent person or two to take care of this should do the trick. Otherwise look for volunteers from within the SanJose scootering community. Labour is always up there as a top expense and hard to find especially if only required 2-3days/month Which is what I guess is needed.

If I could aid Scoot! from here in Calgary I will. I have a 30 man club here and a couple hundred across Canada from which I could certainly try to drum up some volunteers.

In Canada it's $8/issue or subscribe for $38 for six (save $10) according to their website. It's already a pretty expensive mag. Every product has a ceiling for what they can charge, but within a targeted market folks are willing to pay a premium to get something that caters to them. Another buck or two an issue ain't no big deal to us, but it ought to make a heck of a difference in the finances of Scoot! If they used some of that income to hire some staff at really decent wages to ensure we got our subscriptions delivered and emails replied to, it would ensure that we would continue our loyal patronage.
Rogthemod wrote:
Here's an open challenge to Scoot (if they read the forum). Please tell us why you are having difficulties and what you are doing about them. This is your chance for you to put forward your side of the story. Can't be fairer than that. Continued silence will harm no-one but yourselves.
Sounds like a fair challenge, but only if it was sent to Scoot! staffers. Since it doesn't sound like they read every email they receive, maybe they read a percentage of their email. I encourage my fellow MVer's to paste this thread and send it to http://www.scootmagazine.com/contact_us.php so that we get a reply/answer.

Scootering, that mainstay mag from the UK, is a pretty good rag. But it doesn't speak to MVers with all the 2stroke info. (I don't get a woody over original glass headlights and never will) And it certainly doesn't target North Americans. Although I havn't seen or read much of the other scooter mags in the market, I would say I like the style/feel/content of Scoot! best of all. It's just an problem with access to getting the mag.
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
UTC quote
Just noticed that ModernVespa isn't linked to as a forum in Scoot!'s links page. but that not a one sided problem. MV doesn't link to Scoot! either.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Very constructive post no cattle. I certainly would give a hand if I lived close by. I can understand your comments about Scootering Magazine which is aimed mainly at the British Market. I suppose we are spoilt by having three top class scooter magazines - Scootering - Classic Scooterist Scene - Twist and Go - in England. With such an active scooter scene developing in America I find it strange that the leading? speciialst magazine is having so many difficulties in dealing with its subscriptions. Is it worth e mailing Scoot direct? Do you think they would listen to the advice being given? I should like to think they would.
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
UTC quote
Rogthemod wrote:
Very constructive post no cattle. I certainly would give a hand if I lived close by. I can understand your comments about Scootering Magazine which is aimed mainly at the British Market. I suppose we are spoilt by having three top class scooter magazines - Scootering - Classic Scooterist Scene - Twist and Go - in England. With such an active scooter scene developing in America I find it strange that the leading? speciialst magazine is having so many difficulties in dealing with its subscriptions. Is it worth e mailing Scoot direct? Do you think they would listen to the advice being given? I should like to think they would.
Beeb/Illnoise explained clearly some of the problems they may be facing. Every growing business experiences growing pains. Imagine owning a successful widget factory. Comes a point where you make a decent profit but can't keep up the demand. A new widget factory means incurring a huge debt and more staff means it's no the same personal little factory anymore. Do you grow? What if the demand for widgets declines in the coming years to something you were used to accomandating? It's a risk.

5yr.s ago (lets say 8 to be safe) there were no scooters for sale in Calgary and none on the street. If there were I certainly didn't notice. When Vespa opened a boutique, I took notice. Now they are everywhere. They're still not hugely popular, but they sell them in every bike shop (except at Harley, but they have an old Topper on display) and there's even one place that sells carpets, computers and Chinese scooters that don't meet regulations for licensing on the street.

The question on everybody's mind is, "is it a phase?" VespaCalgary has since closed shop and now a motorcycle dealer sells Vespa. I know of many Vespa that are sitting in garages under tarps hardly used. I know of some eager scooterists who went and bought license-able Chinese scooters that fell apart/broke, can't be fixed and have since been turned off ever buying another scooter again.

I got an email from VespaClubPoland wishing me a MerryChristmas. I don't speak polish but it looks like that club has only been around since 2005. So I'm guessing this resurgence of Vespa/scootering popularity isn't strictly new to just North America.

I'm guessing the scootering popularity thing is peaking right about now. Hard to predict and I don't have my finger on the pulse of most places. But it seems to have faded already in Calgary at least. In Halifax, Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver it still seems to be growing. Yet the Vespa Club of Canada has fallen popularity with no interest to volunteer. So my best guess is we've peaked.

I've met April and she's a real swell gal. She and her staff are scooterists. The issues a few months back were celebrating the mag's history, explaining how it started up and how it grew. Yes I think they would be receptive to input/suggestions as it's just a little mag. I would have to reread but it sounds like it's put out by four or five friends and maybe a few more friends helping out.

I know we in Calgary have done a piss-poor job of reporting on our rally and our scene but it's nice to read about rally's I've attended in Edmonton, Kelowna, etc. written by people I know. Nice to read about rally's I'll probably never attend knowing it's done in the same vein. For scooterists by scooterists. In that regard it's the best mag out there. So to me it is discouraging/disheartening to see all the bad vibes towards Scoot! when the complaint boils down to one complaint; access. Seems to me folks like the simplicity of big business. MV'ers will bash Walmart at every opportunity, but they expect the same level of service from Scoot! as they would from Time-Life.

Honestly I havn't seen Scoot! since September. I only know of two retailers that carried it and one has closed it doors. The only news stand left that did carry it, well, I'm not sure if they still carry it, or if they're having the same access issues as everyone here (which I now suspect). I asked my wife for a subscription for Xmas so we'll see.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
no cattle wrote:
Rogthemod wrote:
Beeb/Illnoise explained clearly some of the problems they may be facing. Every growing business experiences growing pains. Imagine owning a successful widget factory. Comes a point where you make a decent profit but can't keep up the demand. A new widget factory means incurring a huge debt and more staff means it's no the same personal little factory anymore. Do you grow? What if the demand for widgets declines in the coming years to something you were used to accomandating? It's a risk.
I'm sympathetic to this problem because I had to shutter a business several years ago for this very reason: too successful, not enough capital to keep up with demand. But it sounds as if Scoot! has been having this problem for well over a year now. Whether they're working on it, trying to iron it out, or struggling with it issue to issue, they need to respond to their readers and subscribers and let them know. Applying pressure via emails to the magazine would do little to help solve the problem. But Scoot! should be a bit more proactive in trying to honor their subscriptions or at least make good on missed issues, etc.

As I mentioned earlier, I work in magazine publishing and have worked on several start-ups as well as larger (90K-125K circulation) publications so I understand the difficulties of that industry. With a reported 25K readers (which means fewer actual issues printed), Scoot! may be stuck in a place where in order to grow without losing tons of money, they'd have to increase their circulation by 10K readers, not 5K. (Those are hypothetical numbers.) This is because there are certain points at which they can get quantity price breaks on printing, paper stock, shipping and fulfilling subscriptions. And as circulation increases, so do advertising rates.

Though I'm not sure if this is entirely true for a magazine the size of Scoot!, the fact is most mass market magazines don't make any money directly from subscriptions or newsstand sales. In fact, many large magazines lose money on subscriptions. The reason they have subscribers, though, is so they have a proven readership and demographic info so they can sell advertising, which is where most of the revenue comes from. For instance, Good Magazine lures advertisers by donating all of its subscription revenue to the charities of their choice. Most other mags offer free subscriptions or deep discounts to people in certain professions, zip codes, income levels, etc.

So what happens is a classic Catch-22 situation: Can't raise ad rates or land more advertisers and make more money without having higher circulation; can't increase circulation without more money for printing and other expenses. This is why Paste Magazine recently initiated a "name your own price" subscription model. They need better numbers to win over advertisers in the shrinking music market. My $1 subscription, paid for months ago, has yet to begin arriving. Same for my $5 Ready Made subscription purchased at a big craft fair.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0504s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0250s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]