@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
In the Harley world there is Thunder Press. Many years ago this nice gentleman came to our HOG meeting to tell us of a new newspaper dedicated to Harley lovers. The best part was it is free! It would be paid for by advertising. He offered subscriptions if we wanted to have it sent to the house but it was supposed to be picked up at your local dealership. Dealers liked the fact that it brought in customers. A few years later Reg sold it to the folks who put out Rider magazine. It is still free. Friction Zone is another good free paper. Wonder why we can't get something similar for scooters?
@ellen avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125, Honda Metropolitan

Addicted
@ellen avatar
Piaggio BV200, Genuine Buddy 125, Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
olhogrider wrote:
In the Harley world there is Thunder Press. Many years ago this nice gentleman came to our HOG meeting to tell us of a new newspaper dedicated to Harley lovers. The best part was it is free! It would be paid for by advertising. He offered subscriptions if we wanted to have it sent to the house but it was supposed to be picked up at your local dealership. Dealers liked the fact that it brought in customers. A few years later Reg sold it to the folks who put out Rider magazine. It is still free. Friction Zone is another good free paper. Wonder why we can't get something similar for scooters?
Scooter World is free if you pick it up at your dealer. However, you can also get it by subscription.
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
I do.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 125 LX and Lambretta SX 200

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
ericalm wrote
Quote:
I'm sympathetic to this problem because I had to shutter a business several years ago for this very reason: too successful, not enough capital to keep up with demand. But it sounds as if Scoot! has been having this problem for well over a year now. Whether they're working on it, trying to iron it out, or struggling with it issue to issue, they need to respond to their readers and subscribers and let them know. Applying pressure via emails to the magazine would do little to help solve the problem. But Scoot! should be a bit more proactive in trying to honor their subscriptions or at least make good on missed issues, etc.
I am pleased that you agree with me that Scoot need to respond to its subscribers. No more excuses please - we all want the magazine to thrive but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us all the chance to read and enjoy it!!
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
olhogrider wrote:
Wonder why we can't get something similar for scooters?
Because there are millions (tens of millions?) of Harley riders and thousands (tens of thousands?) of harley-specific businesses in America and Harley has been marketing its product here for 100 years, with an intense focus on building a good network of riders. Vespa's been here 7 years, and has done just about nothing to support an infrastructure. PiaggioUSA's marketing guy is the guy who started HOG for Harley, but he hasn't done much along those lines. Piaggio in Italy disbanded its international club system (FIV) two years ago with plans to replace it with a HOG-like structure (corporate 'club') but hasn't done much more than come up with a name and a second-rate logo (they've sent one letter to the VCOA in the last year).

VCOA is struggling to organize scooterists in the USA, but there are about three people who do all the work on a volunteer basis, and most of their time is spent just keeping up with paperwork and tracking membership. People complain that the club doesn't offer much, but those who have put some time and effort into the club (or at least attended Amerivespa) have found that it's rewarding and improving, and the more people we can get to participate, the better it'll be.

I was hallucinating with the stomach flu when I wrote my original rant, so i probably went over the top, but my original intent was true. You have the right to be disappointed with Scoot or American Scooterist, but just don't forget how different scootering is now than it was just ten years ago, and how fast this "industry" has grown. It's not going to keep growing, and just like with the skateboard industry, or with internet startups, the companies that make it through the 'collapse' of the scooter market (that day will be marked when Piaggio abandons us again, I predict it'll happen before 2010) will be those that grew organically and wisely, and built their company around a love of scooters, not by jumping on the bandwagon in search of profits. I'm glad Scoot! has stuck to their roots, even if it means they're having a hard time keeping up with all the johnny-come-latelys, I hope it means they'll still be around in 20 years when the next scooter boom hits.
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
I have had some subscription problems recently. I emailed them via their website and have still received no response. I'm hoping they were on Christmas vacation. It's been over a week.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Illnoise, not sure what you mean by johnnie-come-latelys? I repeat what I have tried to say that I wish Scoot every success but why should I as a subscriber accept that maybe I won't get my copies? I am not alone and unless Scoot start looking after their existing customers then the sad truth is they will probally not be around in 20 years which would be a great shame.

The comment has previously been made that subscriptions do not make a profit but consider this, I paid 56$ up front to receive Scoot for 12 months. Multiply that by the number of subscribers to the magazine (I don't know what that number is) and you could end up with 1000s of $s in the bank earning interest. This is why magazine publishers like subscriptions because they have a certain amount of guaranteed income which is earing them interest in the bank or paying their bills.

This forum could drag on but I stick by my opinion that I have paid for a service which I expect to receive. If any company cannot guarantee a service, then they should not offer it.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Astromags I admire your optimism. I've been waiting since early November for a reply to my e mails. What can we blame that on?
@illnoise avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@illnoise avatar
UTC quote
I understand that you're upset, you have the right to be, I would be too.

You have the additional issue of living overseas and obviously paying a schload more than US subscribers. I've subscribed to a couple british magazines at a very high premium and got them probably a week or two after they come on the newsstand in the US, which is probably a month or more after they come on the newstand in the UK, so that's a drag, but even top-rate magazines (Mojo and FourFourTwo) haven't found a cost-effective way of handling foreign subscriptions. It was a drag reading World Cup previews two weeks after the matches were played.

But I got them, reliably, so it's obviously not just that issue with Scoot. I hope you can work it out with them.

I didn't mean offense by "johnny come latelys" I just mean if you're putting out a product and suddenly your market grows by 500% because of a sudden rush of popularity (not the case in the UK, but that's how it is here), you're going to have a hard time keeping up, but on the other hand, it's not good business sense to overextend yourself if you suspect that a certain segment/majority of that new consumer base is going to lose interest in scootering before their subscription even runs out. (cruel to say, but it's happened several times already)

I dunno what's going on in your case, but Scoot are good people and no one cares more about scooterists and scooters, so I don't like the implication that they're some sort of rip-off artists, PiaggioUSA has far less interest in their customers than Scoot, does, for instance, heh.
OP
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Scoot Mag is by no means a large company, and the staff is comprised of scooter enthusiasts. They focus on getting mags to stores first, I've found, because they sell a case of them every other month, in one big sale, so the return for the amount of time invested is a lot higher. The reason that you aren't getting subscriptions is not because they are taking your money and running, but I believe it's more logistical. Like when a scooter enthusiast decides they want to use all their savings to open a scooter shop, just to realize that they are a horrible businessman months later when they bankrupt! I believe something similar happened to Scomo not too long ago, but I don't have all the info on what happened there.

IMHO, if you want to support the scooter scene as a whole, GET YOUR SCOOT MAG AT A STORE OR DEALER. Obviously this doesn't apply if you are not a reasonable distance from your dealer, but doing this takes the heat off the Scoot staff, so that they can continue to publish the mag we all love. If you want the mag so badly, but don't want to take a nice relaxing scooter ride to your friendly neighborhood dealership, and take the time to talk shop with the wonderful people there, well then, maybe you should publish your own scooter magazine. Then you'll be the first to get a copy of it delivered right to your doorstep!
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Illnoise I was not implying they are rip-off artists. Seems I am banging my head against a brick wall with people giving reasons (excuses?) why I don't get the magazine. No point in saying anything else just put it down to a bad experience!
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
Rogthemod wrote:
The comment has previously been made that subscriptions do not make a profit but consider this, I paid 56$ up front to receive Scoot for 12 months. Multiply that by the number of subscribers to the magazine (I don't know what that number is) and you could end up with 1000s of $s in the bank earning interest. This is why magazine publishers like subscriptions because they have a certain amount of guaranteed income which is earing them interest in the bank or paying their bills.
I don't know of any small business which has the luxury of allowing their income to sit in the bank, earning interest. As I said before in my rather lengthy post, subscriptions are usually a loss leader for larger magazines and generate very little actual profits for smaller ones. (There are some trade and niche magazines which charge more than newsstand price for the convenience of a subscription. I imagine they make some profits from that.) I recently quit working for a 90K circulation magazine with large, national advertisers (everything from record labels, to Ben Sherman, Apple, films, etc.) and we were barely making a profit. It's much more difficult for a business the size of Scoot! which has a much smaller advertising base from which to pull.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200
UTC quote
In grass roots, small scale operations things slip by once in awhile. I once had 1 year subscription that lasted 3 years with Thrasher magazine in the mid 80's. And every now and then they'd miss an issue, but I'd never complain as I figured they were trying to pump their circulation numbers to get more ad's. The only negative is I could have rec'd a Metallca albumn and a Christ on Parade album for "FREE" as part of the renewal.
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Scotter wrote:
Mala Mujer and I last night somehow ended up talking over dinner about the magazine formerly known as Scoot Quarterly. I had mentioned that I was surprised that I haven't seen it at any of the local Barnes and Noble or Borders Bookstores and that the only place that I've been able to find it in San Diego so far has been at Motorsport Scooters. She suggested that maybe we should get a subscription but I told her I was reluctant to considering what I'd read here. So, of course, the moped issue came in the mail today apparently as part of a Xmas gift subscription from someone.

The handwritten mailing label was addressed to: "Dot TAEORI" So, I'm thinking someone needs a Scooby Snack.
I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I love Scoot and look forward to each issue probably in the same way that April Whitney and other Scoot editors used to look forward to Twist, Top Gear, and Wha-a-am! back in the day. I feel a certain kind of kinship as well because I was riding a 49cc Motobecane back in them days and here I am still carrying the torch for small displacement two wheeled vehicles. The handwritten "Dot TAEORI" mailing label is being framed for hanging in our "scooter room."
Scotter wrote:
Anyone need a copy of the moped issue?
A spare copy of Issue #43 is still up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Sincerely,

-Dot TAEORI
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Crazy. The mail just arrived with a third copy of Issue #43. I kid you not. According to the handwritten mailing label I now live in Sanders, CA.

So, now I've got two issues of #43 up for grabs.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Scotter - I'm still waiting for mine, any chance of one of yours, if so pm please and we can sort something out. Scoot have so far failed to get me my subscription copy! How do you manage to get 3!!!
@scotter avatar
UTC

Addicted
Bajaj Chetak

Addicted
@scotter avatar
Bajaj Chetak
UTC quote
Rogthemod wrote:
Scotter - I'm still waiting for mine, any chance of one of yours, if so pm please and we can sort something out. Scoot have so far failed to get me my subscription copy! How do you manage to get 3!!!
RogMod,

A re-reading of this thread and all will be revealed. PM me your address and I'll drop you a copy in the post. Just remember to do the same for someone else when your other two copies of Issue #43 arrives from Scoot.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
I hardly dare raise the thorny issue of "will I or wont I" receive Scoot but isn't issue 44 due out soon? Wonder if I will get that without the same amount of grief I had getting issue 43 and that was only with the kind intevention of an MV member!! Crying or Very sad emoticon
@tazio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up

Addicted
@tazio avatar
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up
UTC quote
I subscribed to Scoot last year and promptly received issue #42. When I heard #43 was out, I waited and waited but nothing. I sent an email to Josh and promptly got an email back from ashley@scootquarterly.com and received issues #43 and 44 a few days later. Hopefully my subscription is now in effect.

For those interested, issue 44 features skateboards.
@bosco avatar
UTC

Drift Unit SC

Drift Unit SC
@bosco avatar
UTC quote
SQ 44
Like this issue here?

The issues go thru international shipping after printing, we don't see them at the office after the mag has been printed. You should recieve it fairly soon. If not, email Josh at josh@scootmagazine.com
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@sock_head avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@sock_head avatar
UTC quote
Ooooo.... off to the book store...
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
ooooh..off to my local scooter shop
@sock_head avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@sock_head avatar
UTC quote
nickandsusan wrote:
Bugger! Shoulda' done the same, B&N didn't have it on the shelves yet. Bit of a haul though for a rag.
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
nickandsusan wrote:
I was at your local scooter shop for a while today, dropping off Starbuck.

oh the wonderful shenanigans in play...
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
nickandsusan wrote:

we were across the street at the antique shops...it was too late, saw bosco pushin in an mp3. no magazine for us today[/list]
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
nickandsusan wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
nickandsusan wrote:

we were across the street at the antique shops...it was too late, saw bosco pushin in an mp3. no magazine for us today[/list]
ah, I meant battlescooter
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
nickandsusan wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
nickandsusan wrote:

ah, I meant battlescooter
we almost went over there too!!! but had to stop at best buy to check out the HUGE tv's...Nothing on sale as expected..I actually think the prices were a bit inflated to get those last minute superbowl tv buyers..

did you see the mopeds??? i sooooo want the tomos lx
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
UTC quote
nickandsusan wrote:
we almost went over there too!!! but had to stop at best buy to check out the HUGE tv's...Nothing on sale as expected..I actually think the prices were a bit inflated to get those last minute superbowl tv buyers..

Since we were there for about an hour and a half it was impossible to not see the mopeds.

they're boss if I hadn't just committed an assload of money to Starbuck + getting the v9a1, who knows
@nickandsusan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S

Ossessionato
@nickandsusan avatar
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
nickandsusan wrote:

Since we were there for about an hour and a half it was impossible to not see the mopeds.

they're boss if I hadn't just committed an assload of money to Starbuck + getting the v9a1, who knows
they are only $900.00 get two!
@fulltimerart avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Plum GT "Stephanie"

Hooked
@fulltimerart avatar
2007 Plum GT "Stephanie"
UTC quote
Barnes and Noble around here quit carrying Scoot a few months ago so I subscribed and got # 43 right away. We use a mail service as we are on the road quite a bit so I will have to wait a few days to see if I get #44-fingers are crossed. Art
@grscum avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,

Ossessionato
@grscum avatar
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
UTC quote
I was glad to just see that people have a few email addresses for people at Scoot. Back in September I updated my subscription and the last I have heard from them was my email reciept. Since then, no reply at all from any of my emails asking about the status of my subscription. I faxed them this week, asking for a refund or to start sending me my mag. No reply as of yet. Will try another email this week before I call to my credit card company to see if the charge can be reversed and I will just continue to pick up from Motorsports Scooters or Vespa Oceanside.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
It's comforting (but not for you!) to know that even subscribers in the USA are having difficulty in receiving Scoot. Surely it's about time Scoot gave their "shippers" a kick up the arse, if that is where the problem really is. I never did receive my subscription copy of Scoot 43 but thanks to the intervention of an MVer, I received it, in a clear package, 5 days after posting. Shows it can be done.

Fortunately I did receive an e mail from Scoot recently telling me that Scoot 44 had gone to the shippers on 4 February 2008. Still waiting!

This saga has been rumbling on for ages with stil no resolution just a lot of reasons (aka "excuses") from fellow MVers why subscritpion copies are not received. Isn't it about time Scoot got to grips with the problem before they start losing customers. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon
@die_wespe_kind avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III

Hooked
@die_wespe_kind avatar
'04 Genuine Stella, '03 Vespa ET, '62 Motovespa 150S (with a P125X engine), a '71 Rally 180, '57 Lambretta LD125 Mk. III
UTC quote
I sometimes have a hard time getting my subscription to Scootering Magazine, sometimes I will receive an issue at the end of the month, and the next one comes in about a week. I still haven't gotten my December issue. It seems that USPS is kind of lame, the magazine is printed in the states, but for some reason it takes a frickin' long time to get from Jonesburg, MO to Logan, UT. A trip I could take there and back on my ET4, using scooter friendly roads, in less than a week. It would be much more expensive, plus my butt and back would be pretty sore by then.
UTC

Vespa LX150

Vespa LX150
UTC quote
They were going to send me a free issue for contributing an article last year. I never got it. I haven't bought Scoot since. Got bored and pissed off that they didn't give me my damn free issue.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0395s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0204s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]