@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
Doesn't $9500 (US) seem a little...'excessive' for an electric mini-scooter?

Of course, it IS a BMW, isn't it?

I'm sure it's OTD cost will easily bust 10G's, not counting tax & license fees.

I dunno, probably just me and my old fuddy-duddy mindset.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125

Molto Verboso
2023 Genuine Buddy 125
UTC quote
BMW means Bring My Wallet.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Not much under- seat storage for that price!
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
That grey plastic motor-thingy cover on its sides looks like they may have used a Briggs & Stratton lawn mower engine to model for it, but admittedly, you often find your inspiration in the most mundane of places. I suppose.

Am I being too critical?

Trixie and I have owned about a half dozen BMW machines over the years, and currently there are several models that really appeal to me, but when I think of how long it takes me to earn $10,000 these days, and then look at such a pitiful little conveyance that would soak up every cent of that amount to own.......
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
I'm still baffled by people paying $3500-$5000 for an electric bicycle. They need to start requiring a motorcycle license for these things too. People behave like they're riding a bicycle, but they're mixing with traffic at higher speeds and becoming a real nuisance.
⚠️ Last edited by caschnd1 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I'm still baffled by people paying $3500-$5000 for an electric bicycle. They need to start requiring a motorcycle license for these things too. People behave like they're riding a bicycle, but their mixing with traffic at higher speeds and becoming a real nuisance.
The major brand motorcycle (Powersports?) dealerships here all sell 'premium' electric bicycles that are priced from about $4500 to $6000. I'm just as stunned by their pricing as I am the little BMW e-scooter at nearly $10,000.

I just can't see that kind of value in them for such a large amount.

'Sparky' and I rented a pair of E-bikes last year, and I must admit that they were amazing things, and quite fun to ride on the Black Hills trail system here, but are so expensive to buy that we just can't justify the cost (yet).

I also see E-bicycles evolving into larger and heavier types, a phenomenon that I call 'The Winnebago Syndrome' where vehicles (and other things) of almost any sort that begin simple, economical, and relatively small, gradually gain weight, complexity, and of course, cost until they barely resemble what they were in their beginnings.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
My neighbor bought an E-bike in late 2019. I though it was a adult version of the scooters all the kids have. But, I was wrong. She told me she was in an accident when she was 12 years old. There were injuries to both her knees, with the result of not being able to ride bikes anymore. But with the pedal assist on her e-bike she could ride a bike again and could not have been happier. I have taken a few out a ride and boy are they heavy to the point that the pedal assist is a must. In my mind, you can get a heavy e-bike or a much lighter regular bike and still arrive to where you want to go. The faster ones are, as caschnd1 mentioned, a nuisance. They remind me of mopeds back in the day without the smoke but with the same lousy brakes.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
It's not just E- Bikes, The average carbon road bike price is 6,744 USD.

The top end option for one is 18,000 USD.

I'll stick with my £100 2nd hand steel pedal bike as I ride it for exercise not to race around as if I'm a Tour de France wannabe.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Blah. You're just used to being pampered by affortable transportation at that side of the pond

Over here, if one would wish to have a good ol' petrol V8 Stang, a brand new one costs 95 508€ with all the taxes and costs...that's 102 157,74 USD.

Which kind if works, I'll guess, not many of those polluting dinosaurs roam around here anymore.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
Doesn't $9500 (US) seem a little...'excessive' for an electric mini-scooter?

Of course, it IS a BMW, isn't it?

I'm sure it's OTD cost will easily bust 10G's, not counting tax & license fees.

I dunno, probably just me and my old fuddy-duddy mindset.
I saw one at the BMW dealer near me when I went there to pick up the rubber boot and spring for my k75 clutch arm. Then I went home after seeing it in person and looked it up.

I think it is a really nice electric scooter! I also think it is way overpriced. I am thinking the "list" price is a couple grand more than the tag on the one you looked at and my local BMW dealer has it at a similar "discount"...

I got my 2020 Liberty used when the previous owner sold it to buy an electric mountain bike. He was spending three times what he sold the year old liberty for but it was worth it to him because he was not able to commute with a regular bicycle but with the electric bike not only could he commute he could also ride the trails. He told me he wanted the exercise but the regular bike was just too much exercise for his commute. We have some pretty good hills here in the Reno area.

It will be interesting to see how many of these very expensive electric bicycles and scooters hold their value. I am pretty sure they won't hold resale value. As an example just try to give away a 10 year old Nissan Leaf, and whatever you do don't park it in the garage or near anything (the tree in the yard) that could catch the house on fire...
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
It's not just E- Bikes, The average carbon road bike price is 6,744 USD.

The top end option for one is 18,000 USD.

I'll stick with my £100 2nd hand steel pedal bike as I ride it for exercise not to race around as if I'm a Tour de France wannabe.
I was a tour de France wanna be, and the older I get the better I was...

I would rather have the titanium than the carbon fiber though. I also ride around on old steel frame bikes. In the late 80's early 90's they made some really nice bikes with chrome moly steel that work perfectly well. They handle and flex just right.

I have a few old classic cruisers as well. Lets hear it for a kick back two speed!
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
skids wrote:
I was a tour de France wanna be, and the older I get the better I was...

I would rather have the titanium than the carbon fiber though. I also ride around on old steel frame bikes. In the late 80's early 90's they made some really nice bikes with chrome moly steel that work perfectly well. They handle and flex just right.

I have a few old classic cruisers as well. Lets hear it for a kick back two speed!
I agree on titanium vs carbon.
I have a 1983 Colnago Super and a 1989 Eddy Merckx Team 7-11. Both are steel (Columbus SL and TSX, respectively). Both ride beautifully.
I also have an early 80s vintage Vitus Futural aluminum road frame that I've retired. It's just too flexy and I don't trust the 'screwed & glued' construction method to hold up under me.
Both of my MTBs are welded aluminum, and also work fine.

As for eBikes, I don't have one, nor have I ever ridden one. My older brother has a Serial 1 (HD's ebike) that he got at a discount from a friend who worked for them. He's used it as his daily commuter at times. It's currently non-operational because he let the battery become fully depleted, and he can't get it to recognize the recharged battery.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
A guy at work bought an electric add-on device on his POS bike. Battery and housing tied to downtube, motor somehow turned the crank. Said he got 20 miles out of a charge, which covered his 15 mile commute. Pulled the battery out at work and charged it in his cube for the ride home. Pretty simple. Too bad I don't remember the brand, but it was cheaper than 10K.
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
As long as we're onto bicycles, allow me to post an image of the beautiful 3-speed Schwinn Traveler that my older brother gave to me in the early 1960's after he bought his first car (a 1956 Ford Fairlane convertible).

The bike was nearly new, and finished in a beautiful metallic ruby red, with chrome fenders, whitewall tires, white grips and seat bag, and a magical (to me) generator light system.

I was in 'Pig-Shit Heaven', to say the least.

(This isn't THE Schwinn I had, but EXACTLY like it in every detail)
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
I had that exact bike in turquoise. 1956
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
(This isn't THE Schwinn I had, but EXACTLY like it in every detail)
What a headlight! I had a generator on my 3-speed and thought it was simply amazing. No batteries! Have to say, it did beat getting late somewhere at dusk and finding your batteries were heading south....
@sprintbrad avatar
UTC

2020 Vespa Sprint 150

@sprintbrad avatar
2020 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
One of the best things about my Vespa is the storage. I take two canvas bags to the grocery store. In one, I put heavier goods liked canned beans or dish liquid. I store that under the seat. In the other, I put light items like puffs tissue or nuts. I dangle that bag from the plastic hook at the front of the seat. It sits then on the slight hump between my feet. I still haven't used my rear rack. Great versatility. I almost bought an electric bicycle before I bought the Vespa. Thing is, I wasn't confident that I could protect it from thieves. Also, even though I live in a city which maintains its roads well and has numerous bike lanes, when I'm on my bicycle (7-speed, non-electric Electra Loft model), I still have to watch for debris. Going faster than 20 mph on a bicycle leads to more flats because you just don't have time to avoid objects at an elevated speed. One might as well have a regular bicycle and get some exercise at the same time.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0130s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]