OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa 50L (V5A1T)

Lurker
Vespa 50L (V5A1T)
UTC quote
Hi, I'm new here and I have a problem on my vespa that seemes to be so weird that nobody on here has been talking about it, so last week when I was riding my rear wheel locked up hard, I managed to pull the clutch before the engine died so the problem must lie after the clutch. Me and my buddy pushed the bike backwards really hard and that freed up the wheel, I rode home just like normal with no problems, and then two days later this exact thing happened again, and was solved the same way, and it seemed to be happening when I shifted into third and let go of the clutch.
So I decided to split the engine and Investigate and nothing was clearly damaged, however the mainshaft gears were on there really loosly with about 3-4mm of Clarence when they where all pushed back. There is a spacer washer on the back and up front too and everything looks to be in order, but my question is HOW could this even happen, and there is no way that the driveshaft is made for 4 gears because it would simply not fit. I know that it's quite normal for the tolerance to be slightly too big but I mean 3mm?! I need help. Thanks in advance
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
It would help tremendously if you specified what engine you were working with.

That being said, 3-4mm is way too much tolerance for the gear stack. You'll need to shim it to spec and reevaluate the situation.
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa 50L (V5A1T)

Lurker
Vespa 50L (V5A1T)
UTC quote
Sorry, it's a vespa 50l, the V5A1T engine, but wouldn't I need to have 3-4 spacers, is this fine or is there a better way to do it?
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
The shims come in different sizes. You use the same number but thicker to get the correct amount of play. Probably a good idea to replace the cruciform too.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0088s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]