OP
@v125smframe avatar
UTC

'64' VMA1 Allstate 125

@v125smframe avatar
'64' VMA1 Allstate 125
UTC quote
A question for those sitting at the round table among Forum friends and a pint;

The motor runs, but will not maintain an idle. The gas control valve is screwed out 1.5 turns. and the idle valve is opened approximately 2 turns.

How does one know if a Slater plate is installed correctly? There are no cast markings on the case or the slater plate. The only marking on the slater is a number 1 and a 1/2" space then, PIAGGIO. Also, there are no casting marks on the flywheel or case.
If the flywheel is marked TDC, moving the flywheel 18 degrees advanced and resetting the points should set the timing correctly, Right?

A variety of research information suggests when setting the timing, the slater needs to be rotated counterclockwise to advance the spark and clockwise to retard the spark. It's troublesome to remove the flywheel for these measurements every time.
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1

Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
UTC quote
Stator - not Slater. I'll blame that on an auto-correct issue.

I've worked in exactly one Vespa, a '55. No timing marks whatsoever. The good news is, there's a hole in the flywheel that should give you access to the points adjustment when it's roughly in the right place. It's a process…

I'm typing on a phone so not going to lay out the entire process, but you'll need a degree wheel and pointer installed, and a light or multimeter to determine when the points open.

There are a number of YouTube, web, and printed sources for the procedure.
@gickspeed avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@gickspeed avatar
UTC quote
having timing marks is a luxury.

set the timing the old fashion way-https://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/timing/points.timing.html
OP
@v125smframe avatar
UTC

'64' VMA1 Allstate 125

@v125smframe avatar
'64' VMA1 Allstate 125
UTC quote
Thanks for the link, it is exactly what is needed to complete the timing.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0090s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]