UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
Oh boy! Don't get me started on this topic. We love to fill our landfills with easily fixable products these days. And the manufacturers love it! It's my mission to try to minimize this behavior in my life.
I am right there with you on minimizing throw away garbage. I don't care where it's made as long as it's made with quality.

That being said I have heard that it is very difficult to start and run profitably a "fix it shop" or "handyman" type franchise.

This is much different than say a pest control franchise where if you start a small mom and pop pest control company (NPR has an old story about this in the archives) it is relatively easy to build a clientele for this service in this area and then sell it to a major player.

The problem with the fix it shop or handyman is that it is not repetitive. It requires the ability to troubleshoot various different things, acquire the correct parts and materials, and then spend the time to correctly perform repairs and installations.

There was a guy running for state office in California not too long ago that was a successful contractor. When he was running for office he was interviewed about his business and he had recently stopped operating his handyman business because it wasn't making any money. He could not compete with the mom and pops...

The only people that do that kind of thing are not in it for the money. They are in it for the independence it provides. Take away the key person who works way to hard for what they get paid and the fix it shop or handyman business just doesn't make any money in the corporate/franchise/make money while you sleep business model.

In my humble opinion what you are railing against with planned obsolescence and the throw away society is capitalism in it's late stages. It's just not profitable to make most stuff with quality or to fix the cheap junk.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunch_atop_a_Skyscraper
I see a lot of gloves.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
Pebowles wrote:
Especially if you are a professional, or do a lot of wrenching, you are much more exposed to solvents, adhesives, and low viscosity fluids than the rest of us.
I remember one of the early safety classes I had to take sometime in the 90's I think.

The instructor specifically said if you are spray painting your medicine cabinet in the garage you probably don't need a respirator but if you paint for a living you absolutely do.

The amount you are exposed to over time is what gets you. And important to remember that environment loads the gun, genetics pull the trigger. It might not be you but then again it might be.

As an amateur mechanic I go back and forth with the gloves. I certainly do with some things and with others I forget and wash right away after.

Always wear safety glasses and when it's smoky outside from wildfires I have a respirator on when outdoors.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
I see a lot of gloves.
Some of those guys may have been doing hot work riveting and the gloves would be standard.

Every last one of them is wearing leather soled shoes. Try walking iron with those on. A whole nother ball game.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
If I was as greasy as Greasy then gloves. If I get dirty rarely then I'll mostly choose feel over function
what are you on about I'm clean and tidy!

here's just after pulling a motor at the junkyard
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

but sometimes you need a little bit of the darkness to pick up some contrast when you're looking for glitter

luckily when I take my breaks I can wipe my hands off and nobody's the wiser

all kidding aside, I use gloves when handling nasty chemicals and painting or really goopy jobs like packing wheel bearings and breaking down automatic transmissions. I frequently use invisible glove as well if I know I'm jumping job to job and won't have time to scrub down.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
…

all kidding aside, I use gloves when handling nasty chemicals and painting or really goopy jobs like packing wheel bearings and breaking down automatic transmissions.
Automatic transmissions… ugh. The smell of ATF, especially burned ATF, is something I could never get used to. Well gear lube in general, but ATF is the worst. I'm super happy not to have to deal with that frequently.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]