Hiplock DX1000 ($349.99)
https://hiplok.com/product/hiplok-dx1000/

TL;DR: Sold Secure Diamond; nice v/big lock; heavy and wide; compatible with HPE if you remove a little rubber.

Another attempt on my scooter ([NSR] What's Pissing you off Today? III (Post 2689493)), this time in a locked garage out-of-sight, prompted me to get another lock that clearly states "there have got to be easier targets, dude." I started thinking about this one after following some of the Bennetts BikeSocial lock articles (like https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/hiplok-dx1000-review-home-away-security).

While I'm very happy with the Litelock X3 setup I have at home (Review: LITELOK X3 MOTO (motorcycle u-lock)), I thought I would risk the $50 bump on the Hiplock DX1000 and see if it could work with my Vespa.

The spread of the U is noticibly wider than the Litelok, which means that it can go around the tire/wheel in both the front and the back. However, because of the disk size in the back, you have to trim off some of the rubber on one side to make it work. With that, however, it's less fussy to get on and off than the Litelock.

On the downside, while it's easier to get through, it's harder to lock once the rubber is trimmed. This is because, unlike the Litelok, the rubber helps keep the locking parts the right distance in to completely close. A minor annoyance, but I've tried to simulate that part a little with Gorilla tape, and it seems to help.

The Hiplock is also noticably heavier than the Litelok, which is bad or good, depending on what you're doing with it.

If I wanted a lock to take with me, I'd probably take the Litelock, with it's smaller size and weight. As an "at home" lock (connected to a chain, etc.) or as a way of conveying "please go away", the more expensive Hiplock is a nice additon.
Through the front, no modifications.
Through the front, no modifications.
Through the back, after rubber removal on one side.
Through the back, after rubber removal on one side.
The amount of rubber removed; like three inches.
The amount of rubber removed; like three inches.
Final setup (for now).
Final setup (for now).