OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
Hello,

Joining the forum whilst I get back to a project that I started before I got my driver's license. 40 years ago I traded a craftsman air compressor for a well used Vespa Allstate. As a freshman in high school into the MOD scene, it I thought it was a great trade at about $50 value. I had lots of dents, weathered paint and didn't run due to a sheared woodruff key (I was told). I decided to tear it apart and restore it. It was torn down and I got as far as doing the panel straitening and priming the body before I got sidetracked on a car. Fast Forward to last year when my mother was cleaning out her garage, I was informed that she was going to toss the pile of parts. I ended up loading it up in my truck and dragging it across the country. This weekend I started the project back up. Cleaned, re-primed and shot it in what is as close to the original color as far as I know. I haven't found the paperwork or the numberplate for it yet - hoping it somewhere at my my mother's house. To my best recollection it is a 1964 125cc. Anyhow, I intend to clean things up and re-assemble before I search for the paperwork as that is not an option until the holidays. I will be needing to source some replacement parts, rubber, speedo, rivets, seat or replacement cover etc. I want to make sure I am correct on the year before searching parts. It is a 4 speed, motor VIN says VNB5M *052618*. Body appears to have two numbers stamped on the left side cowl mount location, but they are not so easy to read. reward stamping looks to be 1GM11340M. Horn is chrome 6V. Any help as I embark on the project would be appreciated.
Repaint Allstate 1
Repaint Allstate 1
Repaint Allstate 2
Repaint Allstate 2
Repaint Allstate 3
Repaint Allstate 3
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Welcome aboard!

If you haven't already done it, fitting floor rails and legshield trim now that you've painted will be a little aggravating.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
I have not assembled anything yet. I guess I will understand when I get to that point. Is the issue with damaging the paint, or just a PIA to fit?
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
14goingon40 wrote:
I have not assembled anything yet. I guess I will understand when I get to that point. Is the issue with damaging the paint, or just a PIA to fit?
Unfortunately, both. Much easier to do over the primer. You can try putting some cheap masking tape down first.
@geeklion avatar
UTC

The Dude
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money

The Dude
@geeklion avatar
Too Many piles of Junk that need too much work and too much money
UTC quote
Welcome 14goinon40!

Allstate red looks beautiful. The issue Bajarob mentions with floor rails is both concern for scratching paint, and PITA to fit.

Use masking tape to protect the nice paint, as You will be test fitting and refitting and refitting again, more times than You think is reasonable. New rails need careful bending, fitment, triming, and sometimes holes drilled to match your specific frame. Its worth all the effort in the end. Alot of effort. Dont be affraid, just take your time and go slow.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
That is going to be one pretty scoot!. The Vin is correct for that year 1964, the IGM is an Italian version of their DMV, nothing to be concerned about. Do you have the Allstate placard that is usually mounted under the seat below the fuel selector? Also, do you have the Allstate leg shield badge? As far as parts go, look no further than scootermercato.com. Dave and company can help you out with any parts needed. If you still have the original floor rails and they are still in good shape, you will be little ahead on that frustrating task as the curves will already be built in. Put up as many pics as you care to. And by the way, what's the project car behind the scoot? Looks interesting..... Welcome to NSM MV!
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Welcome to the club the paint job looks great. Any plans for engine upgrade's? Personally I would not build any small block without a 60mm crankshaft, electronic ignition, modern cylinder and cosa type clutch. Too much left on the table and trying to find the missing power otherwise. Takes time and money but less time and money later with disappointment. Ask lots of questions and you'll get what you came here for.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
That is going to be one pretty scoot!. The Vin is correct for that year 1964, the IGM is an Italian version of their DMV, nothing to be concerned about. Do you have the Allstate placard that is usually mounted under the seat below the fuel selector? Also, do you have the Allstate leg shield badge? As far as parts go, look no further than scootermercato.com. Dave and company can help you out with any parts needed. If you still have the original floor rails and they are still in good shape, you will be little ahead on that frustrating task as the curves will already be built in. Put up as many pics as you care to. And by the way, what's the project car behind the scoot? Looks interesting..... Welcome to NSM MV!
Thanks on the year confirmation. The placard under the seat area did exist when I tore it apart. It should still be around, but I will have to search for it. I do have the Allstate badge that goes on the front of the leg shield. I have 3 of the original Rails but they are in really bad shape, so they will need to be painfully fitted. Car in the background was one of my dad's projects. It is a 55 Mercury MontClair. I hauled this back at the same time as the Vespa from AZ. Clean car with all the parts, siezed motor. Not sure if I am going to rebuild that or sell it. I started on the smaller project that I have more of a personal investment in.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
hibbert wrote:
Welcome to the club the paint job looks great. Any plans for engine upgrade's? Personally I would not build any small block without a 60mm crankshaft, electronic ignition, modern cylinder and cosa type clutch. Too much left on the table and trying to find the missing power otherwise. Takes time and money but less time and money later with disappointment. Ask lots of questions and you'll get what you came here for.
Thanks. I haven't planned anything on the powertrain side yet. Initial goal was to get it back together and running. I expect the desire to upgrade for functionality and reliability will come with actual use. And that is when we all go down that rabbit hole you are warning me about.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
GeekLion wrote:
Welcome 14goinon40!

Allstate red looks beautiful. The issue Bajarob mentions with floor rails is both concern for scratching paint, and PITA to fit.

Use masking tape to protect the nice paint, as You will be test fitting and refitting and refitting again, more times than You think is reasonable. New rails need careful bending, fitment, triming, and sometimes holes drilled to match your specific frame. Its worth all the effort in the end. Alot of effort. Dont be affraid, just take your time and go slow.
So now that I am looking for parts I understand Bajarob's comment a bit more. Replacement rails require individual /custom fitting. Ideal situation would have been to fit the rails before paint but not install them until after paint. So now I have lots of opportunity to scratch the paint and get frustrated. Lucky for me a quart of color can paint the scoot 3 times over, so if I do scrape it up in fitting I have material to reshoot the floor.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
14goingon40 wrote:
Thanks. I haven't planned anything on the powertrain side yet. Initial goal was to get it back together and running. I expect the desire to upgrade for functionality and reliability will come with actual use. And that is when we all go down that rabbit hole you are warning me about.
I think that is a good plan as there is going to be enough work assembling and getting it run properly. Once you are running around with it, you can decide what you want out of it if you plan on doing more than it was designed for.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
14goingon40 wrote:
So now that I am looking for parts I understand Bajarob's comment a bit more. Replacement rails require individual /custom fitting. Ideal situation would have been to fit the rails before paint but not install them until after paint. So now I have lots of opportunity to scratch the paint and get frustrated. Lucky for me a quart of color can paint the scoot 3 times over, so if I do scrape it up in fitting I have material to reshoot the floor.
Tape it up and take your time. Many clamps help, but patience is what is most needed. Walk away when a break is needed, it's not a race. There are many examples on here and Youtube of this job.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

75 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Tape it up and take your time. Many clamps help, but patience is what is most needed. Walk away when a break is needed, it's not a race. There are many examples on here and Youtube of this job.
I didn't fit my floor rails until after paint once. Lots of masking tape and drilling the rails to match the existing floorboard holes did the job. It was time-consuming and a little nerve-wracking, but not all that difficult. Still better than fitting the floor rail rubber.

It's definitely much easier to do it after bodywork but before any paint, so you can do any necessary pending directly against the floorboard/legshield.

Are you going to add legshield trim? If so, get the tool and beware that it will try to scratch the inside of the legshield along the curve. Also, you have to do it before you install the headset or you'll never get the center portion crimped right.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
Thanks everyone. So I'm at the point where I have to make the decision if I get repo narrow rails from scootermercado or try and straighten and clean up my rails and source the missing left outer rail and a few of the end caps and of course the rivits. Attached pictures. Feedback, opinions, on which way to go and any experiences welcomed
Original foot rails 1
Original foot rails 1
Original foot rails 2
Original foot rails 2
Original foot rails 3
Original foot rails 3
Original foot rails 4
Original foot rails 4
Original foot rails 5
Original foot rails 5
Original foot rails 6
Original foot rails 6
Original foot rails 7
Original foot rails 7
Original foot rails 8
Original foot rails 8
Original foot rails 9
Original foot rails 9
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
There are people who could straighten out those rails. I am not one of them, but since I'm a resto-mod guy anyway, it's just one more new part in the build for me.

You'll still probably wind up doing just as much fitting of those if you straighten them as fitting re-pop's.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
There are people who could straighten out those rails. I am not one of them, but since I'm a resto-mod guy anyway, it's just one more new part in the build for me.

You'll still probably wind up doing just as much fitting of those if you straighten them as fitting re-pop's.
After straightening, they will have to be fitted, so I see the re-curve fitting as an independent topic as you stated. Only difference may be that the repo will likely need more hole adjustments.

On the topic of the shield trim, If I can source, I will be doing that as well. I haven't looked beyond scootermercado, but currently that trim is out of stock.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
SIP have both the crimp-on and bolt on options:
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/beading-piaggio-legshield-084930_72271000
https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/beading-cuppini-legshield_25095900

ScooterMercato largely source their stock from SIP and can special order most SIP parts (not the really big/heavy stuff) for you for the listed price on SIP.

Give them the SIP part # and then they'll ship it to you for their normal shipping rate. Adds a week or two of turnaround time, but can be well worth it if you're looking at $30 in shipping for a $5 part.
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS

Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
UTC quote
14goingon40 wrote:
Thanks everyone. So I'm at the point where I have to make the decision if I get repo narrow rails from scootermercado or try and straighten and clean up my rails and source the missing left outer rail and a few of the end caps and of course the rivits.
I have done a few and, unless they are close to perfect it's hard to get them there. The soft aluminum shows everything and the channel is difficult to bend laterally. With that paint job you will be very hard pressed to make those rails look decent. Not to mention that because the sides of the channel are surely bent in places, it will be a real pain pulling/pushing the rubber through. I wouldn't even bother. What's another $50, right ?

They all have a slight twist to the inside to match the leg shield and the two outers are the hardest. Getting them bent laterally with the twist is the trick. Put a strip of 1 1/2"-2" masking tape on the floor and punch trough the holes to locate them. Also, wrap some tape around the forward ends because that's where they scratch. Open that hole as well. Bend in a slow, smooth action in small stages and sort of creep up on the fit. I put them in a wooden vice to bend them laterally. Not easy. Maybe someone's got a trick for that. Try not to crush the sides in and check the opening width after you have them fit.
OP
UTC

Allstate

Allstate
UTC quote
Thanks for the viewpoints. Pulled the trigger on new rails along with lots of other new parts including the legshield and crimp tool. While I waiting for parts I'm going to start cleaning up pieces. Looking at my steering lock and cowel door lock. Has anyone taken these apart and re-keyed them? I don't have a key for either.
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
You can get keys made from the locks once you remove them. Take them to a locksmith, they'll sort ya out. And if not you could buy new ones from scootermercato. Bar italia classics might even have original ones.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0086s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]