OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS300 HPE Supertech & Vespa Sprint vlb

@outkastmike avatar
Vespa GTS300 HPE Supertech & Vespa Sprint vlb
UTC quote
My front brake on my 2020 HPE Supertech has gone soft over the winter rest up even after the brake recall the previous year,so it requires a full flush.
So ive decided to have a crack at doing it myself and i have by chance brake bleeding kit in a cupboard sat unused.
After watching Robots YT video he says that the ABS may be affected so im wondering if its a straight forward enough job.

Has anyone done it and is it a straight forward enough job for someone like myself with a reasonable amount of mechanical competency to undertake.

Any advice would be appreciated.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
If it's just bleeding needing doing it won't have to be a full flush. I can't comment on the ABS issue tho'. But my top tip having done it myself on other scoots is to check you can actually loosen the bleed nipple before you start in earnest. And give it all a good clean before even that stage!
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
being its 4 years old a full flush would be recommended unless it was done last year.

some folks like to use a vacuum bleed tool like a mighty vac. other like using the old method of firm brake pressure keeping the pressure on then slightly opening the bleed nipple and slowly keep squeezing the lever till just before it touches the handle bars and then tightening the nipple . doing this method require multiple times doing it. remember in-between each pull to top off the fluid as you NEVER want that fluid to drain completely out of the master cylinder as you WILL get air bubbles in the lines. Those a a bitch to get out some times.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
outkastmike wrote:
Has anyone done it and is it a straight forward enough job for someone like myself with a reasonable amount of mechanical competency to undertake.

Yes and yes. It's not a job to underestimate as it has some pitfalls (see OAD's comment), but if you follow directions, it's not hard.

Full disclosure: I don't have an HPE. Is it safe to assume that it's not different from other ABS models?
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Devices like Mighty Vac or old school pump and hold work fine. There use to be rumors that the ABS resiovor needs to be flushed too, and I know of some car systems that this is true, but I have bled many many automobile and motorcycle ABS systems without bleeding the ABS module without any issues...
UTC

Enthusiast
2018 Liberty 150

Enthusiast
2018 Liberty 150
UTC quote
Speaking of bleeding versus full flush, does Piaggio have a recommendation? I don't see a differentiation in their maintenance schedule.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
dishrag wrote:
Speaking of bleeding versus full flush, does Piaggio have a recommendation? I don't see a differentiation in their maintenance schedule.
The two are synonymous. it makes no sense to open the reservoir to top off only to bleed. Drain the reservoir with a turkey baster or syringe, fill and bleed. When you see clear fluid coming out your bleeder line, and no more bubbles, you are done.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0101s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0045s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]