@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Today I had another OR ("Observed Ride") in my IAM Advanced Motorcyle Training. The weather forecast was for a storm with very heavy rain and high blustery winds. This proved to be all too accurate! I had decided to do this run on the Fuoco, the conditions were ideal to make full use of its road-holding and braking abilities. 90 minutes and 65 miles later my Observer and I arrived at our destination - with huge grins on our faces, totally soaked, but warm and buzzing.

We had encountered just about every hazard one could imagine, from roads awash to cagers hardly able to see where the road was, let alone a couple of motorbikes. On one occasion a van sent up a huge sheet of water right over me! But every traffic-light except two were either in our favour or changed to green as we slowed down, and the ride went as smoothly as one could wish.

The Fuoco really proved its worth. There were at least two occasions where I would have been very worried on just two wheels, and my Observer had to tippy-toe for a while, but the Fuoco just stayed planted and held its line. I was able to ignore all manhole covers, wet leaves, potholes and storm debris and just concentrate on getting the best vision ahead as possible in the teeming rain. In some of the wind gusts I could see my Observer swaying about in my mirrors, but again the Fuoco felt rock solid.

Totally exhilarating, topped only by being told that if that had been the actual Advanced Test I'd have passed with flying colours. A "Check test" next then.
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
UTC quote
This sounds like a real fantastic ride.
Normaly under these conditions I would never take my bike out for a ride.
You make it sound very tempting and I might even try a run like that very soon.
As I live in a flat country the wind can realy hit you blowing over the fields
The MP3 must be able to hold up almost like your fuoco does.
Maybe a little more trouble getting to some decent speeds with these winds because of the 250cc.
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The 250cc only suffers a huge difference at speeds above those attainable on twisty country roads - below 100kph I'm sure it would be just fine, whatever the conditions.

What are the roads like in southern NL? I've been in southern BE/FR, in the Semois valley, fantastic roads - do you have anything similar?
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
UTC quote
In my part of NL we have lots of little dikes and it is completely flat.
Riding dikes is fun, not as much as riding twisties in the mountains but stil fun.
When the wind blows over the dikes you can realy lean against the wind.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]