@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
I see there's been a lot of talk about NSR posts here while I've been absent, and I appreciate the many opinions that you've all expressed on that subject.

I do believe, though, that a great part of MV's success is due to the format we've chosen here. We've tried to keep to as few forum areas as possible, keeping posts that aren't scooter related in the General Discussion area. This wasn't accidental. I saw this format work in another forum, years ago, and saw many other forums (with different formats) fail or languish or even grow unbearably hostile. That original forum, the one that influenced me so much, has since added an NSR area. They very much regret it. I've heard from other forum admins as well who regret adding their NSR areas. I'm not willing to make the same mistake.

Creating an NSR area would have an immediate and chilling effect on the sense of community that we have here at Modern Vespa. By segregating everything that's not scooter related into a separate area, we would essentially be sterilizing the General Discussion area. While there are some (who take themselves way too seriously) who think that's exactly what they want, I can assure you that Modern Vespa would wither and die under those conditions. We can't all talk about nothing but scooters 24 hours a day, and I know for certain that you all don't keep coming back here just to see the Kill Switch question answered over and over again. Or the Gas Overflow question. Or the Clear Bubble question. You come back because there's a sense of community here, a place you can go and chat with other like-minded people, and maybe learn something new in the process, or even help someone out. NSR posts are part and parcel of that. I'm one hundred percent certain of this. Modern Vespa's success, warts and all, is a testament to how well this particular format works.

This is not to say I want you all to step up the pace of NSR posts. I don't. Frankly, I hope I never have to see another [NSR] Music Genre post ever again, as long as I live. Post as you like, just try not to flood the place with NSR posts. Okay?

On a related note: As MV has grown, we have become quite a bit harder to manage, and it's not the same cozy little gathering that it was when there were only 87 members. This should really not come as a surprise. We're a more diverse group than we were back then, and a lot of people here never really got a taste of the original spirit of MV. Some latecomers have brought their own styles and expectations to the forum, and I've had to forcibly remove a few people who just couldn't comprehend what MV was about, or the spirit that it was founded in, or even the basic rules of civil discourse. I expect more of that in the future, and the moderators and I will deal with it as needed. I hope you all will help me in trying to politely educate the newbies about proper behavior, not by yelling, but by gently suggesting to them that their behavior is really not in keeping with the spirit of Modern Vespa. Don't send nasty PMs, don't send anonymous hate mail, just give them a gentle prod and let the moderators handle the egregious stuff.

Finally, I'd like to offer a few gentle prods of my own as we move forward. Lucky & Spock: please stop hijacking threads. To the curmudgeons: cut it out. Being bitter and quarrelsome all the time is tiresome and a waste of everybody's life, including your own. Step outside and get some fresh air. M@: This is not a bar fight, and we're not going to let this forum devolve into public spectacle. Period. And the rest of you, let's just step away from the cupcake for awhile, mkay? You're getting a little chunky around the middle.

And please, everyone, stop taking things so seriously. They're just scooters, for pete's sake.

kthx.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa 125 LX and Lambretta SX 200

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
I note there has been a considerable reduction in NSRs recently.
@zwerski avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"

Molto Verboso
@zwerski avatar
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
UTC quote
Me, too. Guess we're all out riding instead.
@salima_draghetta avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@salima_draghetta avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
post deleted by Salima
⚠️ Last edited by Salima Draghetta on UTC; edited 1 time
@kenwoodkid avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT60 (aka Lucia "Lucy")

Enthusiast
@kenwoodkid avatar
GT60 (aka Lucia "Lucy")
UTC quote
NSR Posts
Jess,

Well said.

As a newbie here, I'm still discovering the lay of the MV land but right now I'm definitely more into SR posts than NSR posts. But I do see the value of keeping them in the General Discussion area. The "NSR" tag works just fine for me.

Thanks for all your hard work to keep MV scootin' along.

Kenwood Kid
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Ok
BARF
⚠️ Last edited by Lucky Bastard on UTC; edited 2 times
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Indeed, the sunny weather has brought about more rides and thus a decrease in NSRs. So it seems. We were all suffering from winter- cabin fever. NSR's became the last resort.

Nothing like a good ride.....

Scoot on.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Re: Ok
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Spock,
Sorry I highjacked your pants thread. I will make that a full ACU uniform tops and bottoms. Oh and a new Army Issued belt for your troubble.
You may as well have a special uniform to Kill Zombies.

Good to see you Jess, you were missed. Your a voice of reason here and in other areas of my life.
@rogthemod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rogthemod avatar
UTC quote
Long may the sunny weather reign!
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
That's about as clear as it could get. Thanks Jess.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
cupcake? Who's getting cupcake? I'm not getting any cupcake. Just some crummy, old, stale cookies. What kind of cupcake? Blueberry? Yum. Homemade apple? Yeah. Coconut creme? Wow.

Maybe only Vespa owners are getting the cupcake, and Piaggo people are stuck with the cookies.

Grumble.

C
@coley avatar
UTC

Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)

Addicted
@coley avatar
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
UTC quote
masssheltie wrote:
cupcake? Who's getting cupcake? I'm not getting any cupcake. Just some crummy, old, stale cookies. What kind of cupcake? Blueberry? Yum. Homemade apple? Yeah. Coconut creme? Wow.

Maybe only Vespa owners are getting the cupcake, and Piaggo people are stuck with the cookies.

Grumble.

C
I had cupcake last night. It was Lemon Merringue - which would have matched perfectly with my GTS's fresh green paint job if she wasn't stuck in storage.

I've had enough cupcake. I just want the nice weather back so I can ride again. In the meantime, this forum has stayed enjoyable as always.

Namaste Jess - I honor the place where your MV legacy and my personal entertainment become one.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Re: PLEASE READ
Jess, thank you so much for taking the trouble to compose this post!

It's really helpful to those like me, who were getting dismayed by the confusion and argument over which way the forums were heading... And, in my case, probably adding to it inadvertently.

Modern Vespa is growing rapidly (as it should) and the membership is becoming a lot more diverse (as it should).

So it's bound to be quite a challenge to the management (I'm afraid that would be you) to keep MV functioning smoothly.

Luckily, "benevolent dictatorships" are supposed to be the most efficient form of government...

And I think that those of us who benefit greatly from MV should support our chosen "benevolent dictator"!
@rex avatar
UTC

Rock Star
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Rock Star
@rex avatar
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
UTC quote
Thanks Jess.

Just for the record, what are your favorite 80's "Hair" bands? Just kidding!
@inkslinger42 avatar
UTC

Gimp
'07 GTV , '08 Stella

Gimp
@inkslinger42 avatar
'07 GTV , '08 Stella
UTC quote
wow, it still says cupcake and not pudding....
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Great thread, Jess. Thanks!
@theoz avatar
UTC

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125

Sir Frets-A-Lot
@theoz avatar
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
UTC quote
+1

a good reminder. communities change, and that's not a bad thing, but as members if we want it to be the place we know it is in spirit, we need to work at that.
UTC

Sponsor
Vespa GTS

Sponsor
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
just lurkering
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
Who's pete?

Dave
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Chetwynder wrote:
Who's pete?

Dave
Ha! Didn't you get the information package?
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
scooterskirt ruben wrote:
just lurkering
Ha !
blame fuckin Ruben for everything thats wrong
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
+1

a good reminder. communities change, and that's not a bad thing, but as members if we want it to be the place we know it is in spirit, we need to work at that.
Thanks, OZ. Well put. 8)

--Deborah
@big_foot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment

Ossessionato
@big_foot avatar
Scooterless at the moment
UTC quote
I think it's time for some scooter related badges to take everyone's mind off
of the NSR related stuff, When is the next batch of Modern Vespa badges going to be published Jess?

Dave
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
Lucky,
I forgive you for hijacking my pants thread. I hope you have my right size btw.
If anyone else thinks I'm hijacking their thread, you let me know like I did with Lucky. Who knows, I might have some freebies from the government that I can pass along to the next person I offend.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
free maps !
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
There you go, free maps.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0205s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0089s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingTwo ]