@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
The AmeriVespa Rally is going to be here in Denver July 27-30. Any new Vespa scooterists planning to attend? We have a group coming in from Seattle that I know of.

The Rally tends to be centered more around vintage scooters. Our SQREAM club, however, is mostly new scooters. I always saw that today's modern scooters are tomorrow's vintage ones.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Hmm, let's see, 2,000 miles one-way... Nope, I'll pass. My ET4 would burn-out before I got back home.
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
im going to try & go
@wasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250 vintage red

Hooked
@wasp avatar
GTS250 vintage red
UTC quote
I'll go! Remind me ok?
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
M@ you know your woman wont let you go past the rockies, so quit your dreamin.
⚠️ Last edited by cfargo on UTC; edited 1 time
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
if i bring my work with me i can pretty much go anywhere Laughing emoticon
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
All 3 or just Chase. Does he still have the Ponny Tail?
@napacoach avatar
UTC

Banned
M@

Banned
@napacoach avatar
M@
UTC quote
ive got 7 boys total but the only one i have to watch 24 hours a day is Chase
He loves that pony tail he was showing his friends it the other day (Chase is my Autistic client that LOVES hair )
@cfargo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Many

Ossessionato
@cfargo avatar
Many
UTC quote
I bet Chase would love to go.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
After going to Mayhem last year, I'm planning on it.
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
ET4
UTC quote
Wouldn't miss it for the world.

I may be riding the GT over from SLC this year instead of the 'big' bike.
UTC

GT-200L

GT-200L
UTC quote
Denver to Utah is a ride I'd like to do some time on my GT200. Hope to hear about your trip!

Went to my first Mayhem this year and plan on AmeriVespa since I just have to scoot into town.
@shellee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@shellee avatar
Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
I'm going to start saving my pennies right after the holidays so I can go (one way or the other!). Also have to figure out how to get the scoots from here to there.

~ Shellee
@scootergal avatar
UTC

Piaggio LT150

@scootergal avatar
Piaggio LT150
UTC quote
I think I am going if I get my GTS250
It is aprox. 1000 miles one way for me , I think, I am taking my scooter. Should be a blast. If anyone else is coming out this way. (Kingman Az) I would love to join up with you.
@those_darn_mccabes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S

Enthusiast
@those_darn_mccabes avatar
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S
UTC quote
The McCabes will be going. Haven't talked about it with anyone else from the Portland area, though there are some Mayhem fans in the area not to mention a fair number of VCOA members.
Dave
UTC

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200

Enthusiast
1978 Vespa P-200
UTC quote
Amerivespa 2006
Does anyone know if there are any scooter rentals in that area? I am trying to plan my vacation around it but from there we will be going somewhere else and I may not be able to ship my scooter there and back. I am also trying to budget for the cannonball run, that is why my funds are limited right now.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
cfargo wrote:
M@ you know your woman wont let you go past the rockies, so quit your dreamin.
She better let him go past the Rockies, the Cannonball Run 2006 is going to go a long way past the Rockies.
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'12 Stella 4T, '76 FrankenVespa

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Count me in, wife too. Amerivespa in Cleveland this year was one helluva rally with over 300 registered scooterists all over that town. Right after AV 05 came Mile High Mayhem in Denver, host of Amerivespa 2006. If I remember right, MV's own Nukie was the star of the prom Saturday nite at MHM 8. Heh, heh.

As for next year's big rally, the combination of these two great (but different) rally vibes in one event will be awesome. Add in Lambretta Club USA's Jamboree, Lammy Jammy '06, and the whole thing's gonna be out of control.

The Amerivespa website is just a 'save the date' screen for now, but watch it later for details and pre-registration information:

http://www.amerivespa.org/

Later, modern ones.
OP
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@nukie avatar
UTC quote
Re: Amerivespa 2006
JNV wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any scooter rentals in that area? I am trying to plan my vacation around it but from there we will be going somewhere else and I may not be able to ship my scooter there and back. I am also trying to budget for the cannonball run, that is why my funds are limited right now.
Yes, you can rent scooters from Erico Motorsports/Vespa Denver. Here's a link to their website. Just click on the scooter rental page. They rent out Piaggio Typhoons.

http://www.ericomotorsports.com/
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
Am I crazy?
I'm thinking of riding the GT from Santa Rosa, CA.

We have a place to stay in Steamboat, my goal would be to make that in 2-1/2 days: Stay in Twain Harte at my brother's house Day 1 (171 miles). Ride to Delta UT Day 2 (560 miles- ouch!, but going by Mono Lake). 410 miles Day 3 to end up in Steamboat. Go to Denver when I want to from there, maybe via Trailridge (200 miles). Virtually no highways the entire way, always ride in the daytime.

Am I crazy?
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Larry:

Crazy? Hardly. In fact there is a group that has organized for the purpose of riding to Amerivespa via scooter caravans from all over the US. One of the routes leaves from San Fran. Check out their website: Big City Scooters. There is a Yahoo group, too. See the Yahoo link on the Big City website.

Even if you decide you would rather go solo, there will definitely be many who are riding across country to be in DCD for the rally. Go for it.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
What is the most common way of getting out to something like this ? Do you crate and ship your scoot and get it at the airport ? I'm 1936 miles away and would love to go. 3872 miles round trip would be an insane drive. What are the costs for a crate and ship ? how many days does it take the scoot to get there ? I think I'd have better odds seeing Jesus stop by the house for a glass of wine then see me go. But I'd still like to know my options.

Tim VCOA #2723
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
Tim:

For a rally that is a really long haul from where you are, sometimes it is better to book a cheap air fare for yourself and get a rental bike at the destination. Shipping your own bike can be really expensive, several hundred bucks each way. Also, there's the issue of damage to your bike en route. It happens.

Everybody has their own tolerances for distance. I am OK trailering 12-14 hours each way but that is about it. I would not ship my bike to a rally, even if it were a rat. Well, actually the P200 his a bit of a rat, but I still wouldn't ship it. If you are doing a drive/trailer thing, it makes a huge difference if you've got a riding buddy to go along and share the drive & expenses.

Whatever you do, experience some rallies this year. It will really change your outlook on the whole scooter thing. If you need to, aim for something closer to home. Check out the rally reports in back issues of Scoot! Magazine or search the archives on the bbs. When you think you are zeroing in on a rally or 2 to attend, go over to scoot.net and have a look at the pictures. You can learn a lot just from the visuals. Scoot.net archives all the rally pics by year and name of the rally. Check it out and pick some you might go to. I do about 4 rallies a year, but that is pretty mild by diehard scooterist standards. Whatever you do and wherever you do it, just go out there and have the rally experience this coming season. It is definitely worth it.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
I'm planning on going.
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the reality check Dave
Thanks for the reality check Dave. Make sure you get a nice BIG photo of the Modern Vespa guys/girls that make it out.

Tim
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
Reprehensible Misinformant
UTC quote
gonna go for it!
It's a week after the 4th Temecula Wine Country Ride & BBQ, in my town...and then we're heading out (by truck) with our ET-4's!
@rscott avatar
UTC

Hooked
04 GT200, 58 VNA, 74 Rally 200, 06 Bonneville T100

Hooked
@rscott avatar
UTC quote
Where to stay? I want to book early
I'd like to book early where others are going to stay. How early will info be out? I don't want to stay in a fleabag.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@dave_in_okc avatar
UTC quote
There will be an official rally hotel. It might be the Red Lion, but that is not firm. We are trying to coordinate where most everybody stays with the Saturday night banquet location. Stay tuned to the Amerivespa website. Right now it is nothing more than a "save the date" card. As things gel, the site will have all the details, including agenda, accomodations, pre-registration, etc.
@larrydj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300ie

Hooked
@larrydj avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300ie
UTC quote
I'll ride out, but my wife my drive with her ET4 in tow- at least to Steamboat. Then we may both go over Trailridge. Anyone do that? How anemic does a scooter become going over Trailridge?

(For those of you not familiar, Tralridge Road climbs to more than 12,000 feet while traversing Rocky Mountain Park).
@rscott avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rscott avatar
UTC quote
Looking at trucking out
Vespa Club of Seattle had a number of hands raised at the prospect of trucking bikes out. I imagine you'll see a number of us
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
larrydj wrote:
I'll ride out, but my wife my drive with her ET4 in tow- at least to Steamboat. Then we may both go over Trailridge. Anyone do that? How anemic does a scooter become going over Trailridge?

(For those of you not familiar, Tralridge Road climbs to more than 12,000 feet while traversing Rocky Mountain Park).
Pretty anemic, I'll bet. I haven't taken a scooter anywhere near Trailridge, but we've ridden a few times on the Peak to Peak Highway on our GT200s at elevations of between 8500 and 10000 feet.

http://www.sqream.net/sqream/Ride%208-29-04.html

A scooter will seem a bit gutless in Denver anyway. But up around 8000 feet it suddenly feels like someone plugged the air intake. 9500 to 10000 feet translates to a 40-45 MPH top speed on a GT with a 200 lb load, faster on the downhills of course. A couple of ET4s were on one of our rides and performed similarly, just a tad slower than the GTs, I think because they are so much lighter. The good news is that the speed limits on these roads are 35 or 45 so it's not like you're holding anyone up.

More importantly than speed is acceleration. It becomes non existent. If someone gets in front of you and slows down, it takes MUCH longer to get back up to speed. MUCH longer. Like almost a mile on a flat road to get from 30 to 45. Don't plan on passing anyone unless you're going downhill because you twist the throttle and nothing happens. Just stay to the right and enjoy the scenery and the smooth roads.

I'll have a GTS in the next few weeks. After a reasonable break-in, it will be interesting to see how the fuel injection and extra displacement handles altitude.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0446s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0199s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]