OP
@shag avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150

Hooked
@shag avatar
2007 GTS250, 2014 GTS 300 Super, 2009 Harley Crossbones, 883 Super Low Harley, 2010 LX150
UTC quote
It seems that the auto cut off on most gas pumps doesn't work when filling my scooter (Vespa LX 150). I hold the handle release so the minimal flow comes through the hose but 3 out of 2 times I get a little overflow and have to wipe the area around the tank down, sometimes even running down the side........which scares the shit out of me knowing the hot exhaust pipe is underneth.

I could try to not fill it up all the way but it's hard to know how full it is.

Any Suggestions?
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Not overfilling tank?
on the Gt I have done the overfill also. What I started doing is this. Ride unti the low fuel light is good an solid lit watch the gas pump until you have right at 1.8 gal. Stop and look in tank, fill very slowly until you see gas getting close. seems to work for me, Beale.
@gliderguynj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150

Hooked
@gliderguynj avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I overflowed my first tankfull on the LX150. Basically now I go by the guage and the warning light. I can get about 100 miles plus or minus a few until the fuel warning light starts to flicker. It will then usually take 1.5 +/- to fill. At the pump I fill the first gallon without worry. I then just fill a 10th or less and look until it's topped off. I don't fill it to the point that it will enter the neck.

It's not an easy tank to fill, but once you've done a few you just deal with it.

Doug
@dixiecrat avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@dixiecrat avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
tank filling
This has worked for me. Stick the nozzel into the tank neck as deeply as it will go. Put it on a slow rate of fill. The auto cut off will work ok and becaue the nozzel is in deep, there is no overflow. I never paid much attention to how much is added or how many miles to a tank.

It may not be the optimum fill with the maximum in the tank, but it sure beats dumping about a quart into the under seat storage bucket (like I did the first time.)
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
I've post this in another thread, so I hope this helps you.

"I've spilt a little gas a few times and witness a friend totally over flow his tank and got it over everything...ouch.

I have a system which takes a little longer, but has help me keep from spillage.

1) turn the engine off and keep the headlights on
2) take the trunk out and prop up the seat with it so you can see the dash board
3) with the dash on you can monitor the gas levels
3) you can pump away full speed till about half tank, then slow down and watch it catch up. At this point it's up to you how full you want it. But you must ease it in with short burst.
4) last time I fill it to the needle hit the top, it was about 2 gal exactly."

X

P.s. I guess it should be mention that I run my tank down as low as it goes usually.
⚠️ Last edited by xman on UTC; edited 1 time
@ataritron avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@ataritron avatar
GT200
UTC quote
The solution is simple. always fill the scooter when the needle is near the bottom mark on the gas gage and watch the gas meter as you fill up and stop it just before 2 gallons, I have never went over since I started this practice.
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
I know when I hit my low fuel light that the tank takes about 1.7 gallons. So I just watch the pump and cut it off around there. I have also found that some automatic pumps do work OK with my gas tank and others do not. You might shop around for a station that has pumps that will cut off without overflowing.
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
My answer to overflowing is a paper towel. Gas evaporates fast, I mean really fast. Even if it hits a hot pipe down there. You won't burn, trust me. I remember my old piece of crap VW Super Beetle. The carb boiled over constantly, spitting gas on a hot engine block, and I'll be dammed if the thing didn't catch fire! I would have made all my money back on that thing if it just caught fire and burned in the parking lot!

Anyway, you'll learn to catch it before it tops off one day. In the meantime, the towel.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
spock wrote:
I remember my old piece of crap VW Super Beetle.
LOL... spock drives a VW...it's not logical.

X
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
I junked that piece of crap a long time ago. Apparently, a 1971 super beetle is probably the worst model they ever made. My four wheeler of choice now is a Subaru Forester. The Baja is a little lame looking, but that may be my next Subaru. It'll be a turbo of course.
@grant avatar
UTC

"Between Scooters"

@grant avatar
"Between Scooters"
UTC quote
This was my number 1 complaint with my GT until someone explained to me how you are supposed to do it. Since then, I haven't overflowed even once.

1) Make sure that the side of the scooter (right vs left) that has the cap is closest to the pump.
2) Insert nozzle *all* the way down as far as it will go into the tank.
3) Fill away and the pump should shut off before any overflowage
** to be safe I always have a few paper towels around the nozzle near the tank just in case.

This seems so simple, yet I wasn't doing it right for the longest time.
@christine avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT200

Addicted
@christine avatar
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
Even being very careful you can sometimes get a bad pump. I had one "cough" well before the tank was full. This spirted up the filler neck and ended up messing up my GT emission control EVAP line (hopefully temporarily).

I have one station where I've had no problem - I'm going to stick with it.
@vespagt avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@vespagt avatar
UTC quote
Grant wrote:
This was my number 1 complaint with my GT until someone explained to me how you are supposed to do it. Since then, I haven't overflowed even once.

1) Make sure that the side of the scooter (right vs left) that has the cap is closest to the pump.
2) Insert nozzle *all* the way down as far as it will go into the tank.
3) Fill away and the pump should shut off before any overflowage
** to be safe I always have a few paper towels around the nozzle near the tank just in case.

This seems so simple, yet I wasn't doing it right for the longest time.
i was told about this and haven't had any problems either. try it.
@monkmonk avatar
UTC

GT 200

@monkmonk avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
Christine wrote:
Even being very careful you can sometimes get a bad pump. I had one "cough" well before the tank was full.
I've got to agree with Christine here, some pumps are just crap.

I've had good luck at Costco and the gas station around the corner. But bad luck at the two Chevrons that I've tried to stop at. Even when I shoved the nozzle all the way in the Chevron pumps spilled gas all over.

MM
@bobthebuilder avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
05 GT200 Black

Enthusiast
@bobthebuilder avatar
05 GT200 Black
UTC quote
I tend to follow the method of filling up just after the fuel light stops flashing and stays on. I find I can get 7.5 litres (Aussie litres right at that point and be safe OR if I have another 1 way trip to work I can get 8 litres in. Not sure what that equates to in US Gal but you get the idea.

Also, I have a little L.E.D. torch that I use in one hand and the fuel pump in the other and carefully watch the level come up after I have filled it about 3/4 of the way. Must look really funny to those around...

This is after over-filling it about 5 times

Cheers,
Bob
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@giuliano avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"

Addicted
@giuliano avatar
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
UTC quote
I have had terrible overflowing problems since I got my GT125 - but I think I have found a solution.

The cut off works by the rising fuel blocking a small air tube at the bottom of the fuel nozzle, and is designed to work with the nozzle pushed down a car filler opening.

Now, I have noticed the fuel filler on my bike (and I assume other GTs are the same) slopes from the front to the back of the machine (and not fro mthe side like a car would). That means if I fill from the side of the bike, as would otherwise seem natural, the small hole at the end of the pump nozzle will not fill with fuel and cut off properly.

If I turn the fuel pump handle so that the hose points towards the back of the machine, ie, at the same angle as the filler opening, it cuts off as it should becasue when the fuel rises the air hole is hit by the rising fuel at an earlier point in filling. I don't pump full speed, but I don't have to pump super slow either.

Try it - it seems more simple than the alternative solutions posted here and seems to work for me.
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
I had a bunch of problems filling my GT so I adopted this method.

1) Insert nozzle *all* the way down as far as it will go into the tank. If it doesn't fit right, go to another gas station.
2) Pump the gas S-L-O-W-L-Y.
3) Don't even *think* about topping off once the pump's auto-shutoff stops the flow of fuel the first time.

I haven't had any problems since I started doing it this way.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
jrsjr wrote:
3) Don't even *think* about topping off once the pump's auto-shutoff stops the flow of fuel the first time.
I do that with my cars, and I've seen my fuel economy improve.
@xman avatar
UTC

Addicted
gt200

Addicted
@xman avatar
gt200
UTC quote
Hmm...I wonder why that is? I always try to fill it up as much as possible, but would change if it would improve my MPG.

X
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
My assumption is that the nozzle's vapor recovery system is catching a bit of 'burp' each time you squeeze 'til it clicks. The delivery system counts this 'burp', but it doesn't actually go into your tank.

Again, that's only my assumption, not based on fact, other than my fuel economy did improve about 1 mpg when I stopped 'topping it off'.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
jrsjr wrote:
I had a bunch of problems filling my GT so I adopted this method.

1) Insert nozzle *all* the way down as far as it will go into the tank. If it doesn't fit right, go to another gas station.
2) Pump the gas S-L-O-W-L-Y.

I haven't had any problems since I started doing it this way.
This is exactly what I do. No matter what the urge is, just remove the nozzle as soon as it stops. There seems to be gas in the nozzle that flows into the tank as you lift it. Maybe 3 - 4 ounces.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0353s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]