NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Created article ET4/LX150/LEADER 150: Valve Lash Adjustment

(This message was automatically generated)
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Article edited to include similar adjustments as I recently made to the GT200 valve adjust article. Additionally, I added that it is unnecessary to use the flywheel nut to turn the crank on bikes fitted with a kickstart lever.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the edits: I'm glad to hear that you don't have to remove the fan shroud etc. because I haven't been able to loosen those screws for years anyway.

Still, if I were not a very good mechanic (true) and had never done this job before (also true), I would be still wondering why you had to remove the fan shroud and the fan anyway. I know why, but that info is not addressed in the article, and I'm highly unqualified to edit it myself, never having done the job before.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
I agree that the actual instructions are pretty minimal. When I'm actually at my computer I'll make another update to include more details.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Whew! Completely overhauled the article, including the addition of a LOT of left out steps and details, correction/removal of a few confusing points, and re-arrangement of the photos in a more logical order.

Hope it's easier to follow now.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
Thank you very much.

I figure that if I can clearly understand and follow and article, then just about anyone can. To me, that's the definition of a successful Wiki article.

I am my own benchmark Razz emoticon

Don't get me wrong. I do almost all of my own maintenance, and I learned how to do most of it right here on MV.
I am admittedly wary of delving in where angels fear to tread unless I think I have a pretty good handle on what I am doing...otherwise I'll leave it. Thank to your update, I'll be doing the next valve adjustment myself. 8)

PS: Where is the cam gear bolt?

PPS: And it's another good reason to be thankful I've kept that kickstart operating.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Menhir wrote:
PS: Where is the cam gear bolt?
It's in the middle of the gear, on the left side of the cam. Do you see the gear in the photo where the 2V mark is circled? The bolt is what holds that gear to the camshaft.
⬆️    About 9 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Just noticed that this article doesn't seem to want to show up by the slug name. Instead, it shows up as the generic article number. Bleh.

Anyone have any sense of which articles link to this one? I'd like to give it a proper slug (one that is shorter, which presumably is the prob) and fix the links.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Just noticed that this article doesn't seem to want to show up by the slug name. Instead, it shows up as the generic article number. Bleh.

Anyone have any sense of which articles link to this one? I'd like to give it a proper slug (one that is shorter, which presumably is the prob) and fix the links.
I have no idea. This one's been around a while.
Could the whole article be copied again as a new article that can be given a proper slug?
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@daniellevis avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@daniellevis avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
I had a great number of questions after reading this wiki thread, which were generously answered by this community in several threads that I posted in the forums. I thought I would repost a few links directly related to performing this service to help other newbies through this process.

Moderators, if meta-like reposting is a no-no, then by all means obliterate this post!

LX Valve Cover Removal?
How the heck do you remove that valve cover? This post will help.

A Craftsman Impact Swivel Universal Joint Socket Adapter was a big help in reaching those bolts as well.

Cam alignment / Cooling Fan Removal? - LX 150
Once the valve cover was removed, I couldn't get the cooling fan off to take the recommended quick route for aligning the cam (I also do not have a kick start). Your many options for aligning the cam are discussed in the thread above.

I was forced to go through the variator cover. It was actually pretty easy, albeit nerve wracking for my first time. Fyi, you will need the special clutch holder tool (Ref. Number: TOOLETC at Scooter West) if you decide to go through the variator cover and a 19mm socket to release the clutch nut. The thread above also contains some links on how to proceed with this plan of action.

Torque wrench question
Most importantly, a torque wrench is recommended for tightening all screws on the valve cover and variator cover. If you don't have one or never used one before, this thread might help you make a decision on which type to purchase.

I hope this helps any. Thanks again to everyone who helped me complete my first major service!
⬆️    About 2 years elapsed    ⬇️
@helicop avatar
UTC

Lurker
LX150

Lurker
@helicop avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I am just reaching the first requirement for a valve adjustment on one of my LX150 scooters. All of this information is most helpful in the preparation for what is sure to become a routine task.
NOTE: This topic has a wiki article associated with it. You may view it here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0818s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0495s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]