@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
I am trying to link the following url into a line of text, and absolutely no luck

http://www.ntsb.gov/events/symp_motorcycle_safety/Rider%20Protective%20Equipment%20Panel/Liz%20de%20Rome%20-%20LdeR%20Consulting/Liz%20de%20Rome%20-%20LdeR%20Consulting%20(paper).pdf

It's an excellent paper for the safety section

HELP & Thanks

Al
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I think the spaces (all those %20 things represent a space, without using a space) kill the URL formatting. It's a longstanding problem with the phpbb software, and I don't think there's a fix for it. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often, as most webmasters are savvy enough not to name web-based documents in such poor ways. Unfortunately, it's going to hit us here.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I've just gone spelunking in the code and can't for the life of me figure it out. Frustrating.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Al, can you save the document as a PDF?
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Attaching the doc to this msg as a PDF.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Harnadem - Yes, but note that it doesn't link fully - "(paper).pdf" is not recognized, resulting in an error
pdxvespa wrote:
Al, can you save the document as a PDF?
Yes, but what I wanted to do was simply link to it so that it opened in a new window. It's a very good look at the protective value of protective gear, based on mashap stats. May just have to do an attachment.

HOWEVER, I e-mailed Liz de Rome to see if she has this paper anywhere else that can be identified with an embedded link (hope my terminology is correct).

I have a batch of resources that I am trying to put into a coherent format, and this is the only one driving me nuts.
⚠️ Last edited by Aviator47 on UTC; edited 1 time
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Yes, but what I wanted to do was simply link to it so that it opened in a new window. It's a very good look at the protective value of protective gear, based on maihap stats. May just have to do an attachment.
If you don't mind it being hosted here (not sure, but we could probably get away with it) then you can attach it to the discussion topic for the thread, and then link to it in the article. That would open it in a new window.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
Harnadem - Yes, but note that it doesn't link fully - "(paper).pdf" is not recognized, resulting in an error
Al - it worked on my computer (FF under linux) but I see the problem when trying to post a link to it. I see that Deborah already has the pdf copy, and I do to if needed.

What do you want to do about pdf copies of reports? Most (all?) of what I have are pdf's.

- please feel welcome to call me Michael.

Michael
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Michael

I have no problem uploading pdfs, other than the large amount of screen space the "attached files" routine consumes. I was hoping to be able to simply have the file open in a new screen when a link was clicked.

I have the de Rome report file as well.

Let me play with it a bit.

Al
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Once it's attached to the discussion thread, just link to it in the article like so:

https://members.modernvespa.net/pdxvespa/uploads/injury_reduction_benefits_of_mc_protective_clothing_159.pdf

or

Random PDF
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Jess, that is helpful! What about hosting rights? I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't want to see the site violate any ownership rights by hosting pdf copies of documents obtained elsewhere.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
Jess, that is helpful! What about hosting rights? I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't want to see the site violate any ownership rights by hosting pdf copies of documents obtained elsewhere.
You're correct about that. In theory, it doesn't belong to us, and I'm not tied to the concept of hosting it either way. This then becomes an academic discussion, and the central question is: does anyone care enough about this content to tell us we can't?

If the document is the result of a study paid for and freely disseminated by the US government, then in all likelihood we can host it without anyone so much as batting an eyelash. If the document was for sale here, or we were redistributing a copy of a document that someone else was selling, then we would almost certainly be acting unfairly.

Given our seeming inability to link to the original document, I'll let Al decide how important the given document is to the overall set of articles he's accumulating.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Your response clarifies matters. I was really posing the question to the issue of downloaded pdf's in general, and not Al's document in particular.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
Your response clarifies matters. I was really posing the question to the issue of downloaded pdf's in general, and not Al's document in particular.
It's a good question, to be sure. We really can't advocate people putting much in the way of copyrighted material here. On the other hand, I just ganked a bunch of images from Vespa's website and am now hosting them here. Hey, I'm helping them sell bikes, so if they want to harass me about it, they're welcome to.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
From government sites, and most of the safety reports will becoming from government or quasi-govt sites, I would think that it would be acceptable to host the pdf, as long as we clearly cite where the original is from.

Of course, you would be the one to decide if we have the storage capacity and bandwidth to allow hosting of pdf and downloading.

We should also avoid partial posts or only posting sections of reports (like a summary) without also indicating where the full report can be located. For example, only the summary of the Hurt Report is available to download, and the full report needs to be ordered. But there is information available where one can order it if desired.

All easier said than done, and we would need to be flexible on this.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Agreed.

As for bandwidth, we're okay. I just uploaded some multi-megabyte Piaggio service manuals, so here's hoping I'm right.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
From government sites, and most of the safety reports will becoming from government or quasi-govt sites, I would think that it would be acceptable to host the pdf, as long as we clearly cite where the original is from.

Of course, you would be the one to decide if we have the storage capacity and bandwidth to allow hosting of pdf and downloading.

We should also avoid partial posts or only posting sections of reports (like a summary) without also indicating where the full report can be located. For example, only the summary of the Hurt Report is available to download, and the full report needs to be ordered. But there is information available where one can order it if desired.

All easier said than done, and we would need to be flexible on this.
I am working on the "Hurt" report entry, and am including a clear mention that only the summary is in the public domain. My plan is to link to a site which not only offers the summary, but the purchasing details.

The MAIDS study is free access, as long as you "register", which is also free.

I can get the user to the de Rome report with a link and then a note as to where to click on the resulting page, but would prefer a direct link. If we are lucky, she'll provide that by responding to my e-mail. More exposure for her consulting company.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
Aviator47 wrote:
Al - it worked on my computer (FF under linux) but I see the problem when trying to post a link to it. I see that Deborah already has the pdf copy, and I do to if needed.

What do you want to do about pdf copies of reports? Most (all?) of what I have are pdf's.

- please feel welcome to call me Michael.

Michael
Al - sent you a couple of pm's with a UK and DOT report. Also sent over the Wells 2004 BMJ article.

Not sure what you already have, and I am going to wait and see before I send anything else. I want to avoid duplication.
⬆️    About 5 months elapsed    ⬇️
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
Late to the party, but my solution for URLs that phpBB has trouble with: Use TinyURL.com or Snurl.com to generate a short, forum-friendly link.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1092s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0779s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]