OP
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted
09 GTS300 Super black, 04 GT 200 smoky, 05 GT 125 smoky (in pieces)

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC quote
What's the best way to do this? TIA
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@teacherquinn avatar
UTC quote
I haven't replaced it but I've topped it off if needed. Just be sure to use pre-diluted stuff made for scooters and motorcycles.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Coolant
The manual or service manual says to replace the coolant every 2 years. Which is what I have done in my cars , so I'm having my dealer flush out the coolant in my GTS this week while they servie the scooter. Have 30K on the GTS, so I guess it's time.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I've replaced it before on my X9s.

Buy a large (4 or 5 litre) container of de-ionised water from your local auto-parts, and a couple of litres of ethelyne-glycol anti-freeze. In another clean container mix these 50-50 - not so much for the maximum anti-freeze effect but to maximise the anti-corrosion properties.

Remove the filler cap and then the lowest hose you can find on the engine - let it empty out. Replace hose.

Refill with as much coolant mixture as it will take. Bleed the system (there may be more than one bleed nipple) as much as possible, top up with coolant as required.

Using the highest bleed nipple you can find on the engine, run a length of clear plastic tubing from that to the expansion tank. Start the engine and let coolant come out of the tubing back into the tank until no more air bubbles show, stop engine and nip up the nipple. Replace filler cap.

To test, run the engine until it reaches operating temperature. Ensure it doesn't keep rising in temperature after the normal point, at least for a few minutes. Leave it running until the temperature does start rising again and check the fan cuts in at the correct point.

Job done.
OP
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@quattrovalvole avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the thorough response, Jim. I have a few questions:

-The Vespa manual says it holds around 1.2 liters of coolant. Can I just use the premixed stuff from Castrol instead of mixing my own?
-By lowest hose on the engine, would that be near the water pump?
-Where is the bleeder screw located on the engine?
@woodenhead avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT60

Molto Verboso
@woodenhead avatar
GT60
UTC quote
The best information that I've seen on this is MN Scooters' posts on another thread. I don't know if his information is gospel, but I'd recommend reading every one of his posts and then deciding what to buy and whether to flush the system. Good resource , this:

antifreeze

cheers
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
I've replaced it before on my X9s.

Buy a large (4 or 5 litre) container of de-ionised water from your local auto-parts, and a couple of litres of ethelyne-glycol anti-freeze. In another clean container mix these 50-50 - not so much for the maximum anti-freeze effect but to maximise the anti-corrosion properties.

Remove the filler cap and then the lowest hose you can find on the engine - let it empty out. Replace hose.

Refill with as much coolant mixture as it will take. Bleed the system (there may be more than one bleed nipple) as much as possible, top up with coolant as required.

Using the highest bleed nipple you can find on the engine, run a length of clear plastic tubing from that to the expansion tank. Start the engine and let coolant come out of the tubing back into the tank until no more air bubbles show, stop engine and nip up the nipple. Replace filler cap.

To test, run the engine until it reaches operating temperature. Ensure it doesn't keep rising in temperature after the normal point, at least for a few minutes. Leave it running until the temperature does start rising again and check the fan cuts in at the correct point.

Job done.
NORTHERN CLIMATES BEWARE OF MIXING WITH WATER!!!
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Where is this bleed nipple on the engine?
I can't find it. Could you show it on the picture?

best,
Marcin
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
kugi wrote:
jimc wrote:
Where is this bleed nipple on the engine?
I can't find it. Could you show it on the picture?

best,
Marcin
Looks as though the GT200 doesn't have one. So fill up, run the engine until warm, switch off, allow to cool, top off if necessary, run until hot, check it doesn't overheat.
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
Thanks jimc,

This methods is enough to full air releasing from engine chamber (prevent from the air pocket )?

I would like to be dead certainty. The best way to full empty the coolant is releasing the lowest hose - i.e. two pipes on the pomp?
For better purring out I should slope to the right/left?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
kugi wrote:
Thanks jimc,

This methods is enough to full air releasing from engine chamber (prevent from the air pocket )?
Looking at the design, yes it should be if the water pump is working properly
Quote:
I would like to be dead certainty. The best way to full empty the coolant is releasing the lowest hose - i.e. two pipes on the pomp?
Yes
Quote:
For better purring out I should slope to the right/left?
I don't think it matters.
UTC

GT200

GT200
UTC quote
Many thanks!
Best,
Marcin
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
NORTHERN CLIMATES BEWARE OF MIXING WITH WATER!!!
What? ALL coolant gets mixed at 50/50. Putting in 100% coolant will eat your motor alive. Pure coolant is VERY corrosive. Get a jar with 100% coolant and put bolt in it and see how long it takes to eat the bolt away.

Wayne B
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
50:50 ethylene glycol:de-ionised water gets you down to around a -35C freezing point, colder than that and take it indoors...

After 60:40 (just over -40C) the antifreeze properties rapidly get worse again, so no point ever going past that.

50:50 is the 'sweet point' - plus it's very easy to measure and mix! This ratio also offers about the best boiling point IIRC, so ideal for cars and bikes. Ethylene glycol is poisonous, so don't drink it!

Corrosive properties are normally only seen with propylene glycol, when it gets hot and is exposed to air. This is hardly ever used in automotive applications, never in consumer ones. It's not as poisonous as ethylene glycol, so is often used in the food industry as a coolant.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Re: Anyone replaced their engine coolant?
quattrovalvole wrote:
Why even replace it???

Go to www.peakantifreeze.com

Antifreeze should be good for the life of the vehicle.
Same thing with brake fluid. As long as the closed sytem integrity is maintained.
These recommended changes are great for service departments and the manufacturers of these products.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the responses to this post.
Should make for an interesting afternoon as I'm really bored with nothing to do but monitor.

Go for it folks!!
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Re: Anyone replaced their engine coolant?
EN82pg wrote:
quattrovalvole wrote:
Why even replace it???

Go to www.peakantifreeze.com

Antifreeze should be good for the life of the vehicle.
Same thing with brake fluid. As long as the closed sytem integrity is maintained.
These recommended changes are great for service departments and the manufacturers of these products.

Now I'll sit back and wait for the responses to this post.
Should make for an interesting afternoon as I'm really bored with nothing to do but monitor.

Go for it folks!!
'

I will bite.

From the website you listed:

This is why it is generally recommended that conventional coolants be changed every 2 years or 24,000 miles.

And secondly, it is not a closed system. There are overflow vents and relief valves.

Niether is the braking system, there are vents and water eventually gets in the system
NTSB study showed 20% of vehicles have 5% or more water in the braking system, enough to cause failure in a high use situation.

Come on, if it moves, it fails. Maintain your vehicle properly!
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
Come on, keep it going.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
Ball is in your court, put up or shut up! Nerd emoticon
@zagato avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTV 250ie

Addicted
@zagato avatar
Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
Don't forget the lubricating properties of your coolant. Don't expect the water pump to last very long with old coolant.

The only things that keep an engine from dying a quick death are oil and coolant. Best to keep them in tip-top shape!
@astromags avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@astromags avatar
'80 P200E, '76 Primavera 125 ET3. '59 Vespa 150
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
The original poster was looking for useful information. What's the possible use baiting and being an asshole?
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
astromags wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
The original poster was looking for useful information. What's the possible use baiting and being an asshole?
Takes one to know one, eh??
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
rgconner wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
It's really working, eh?? Guess you guys have a free day as well.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
OK, I'll play on the dark side too.

I've never 'rotated the coolant' on any car I've ever had and I usually run them past 175,000 miles before I give them away.

(I'm reading this because I've considered flushing the coolant on my GT since I spoil it more than my cars)
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
lomunchi wrote:

I've never 'rotated the coolant' on any car I've ever had and I usually run them past 175,000 miles before I give them away.

(I'm reading this because I've considered flushing the coolant on my GT since I spoil it more than my cars)
+ 1

My next door neighbour owns a fleet of taxis.

They change oil every 15k km and the filters every 10k km. NEVER change antifreeze unless there is radiator damage, NEVER change brake fluid unless there is a leak.
They change out vehicles at 400k km.
Their down time is @6% during the life of the vehicles. Accidents account for most of the down time.

The owner's brother (and partner) is a GM engineer (SAE) and advises him on the maintenance schedules and the efficacy of what is recommended by the OEM's.
The skeds set up by the OEM's are for the furtherence of the dealerships.
This can be applied to any vehicle, be it Vespa or Harley. It is all what can be be sold to the user/buyer.
If you're gullible, go for it.
It will salve your conscience. (and of course validate your warranty - NOT). More on this later.

That is now changing.
We will soon see a different attitude toward maintenance as the "new" economy emerges.
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
lomunchi wrote:

+ 1

My next door neighbour owns a fleet of taxis.

They change oil every 15k km and the filters every 10k km. NEVER change antifreeze unless there is radiator damage, NEVER change brake fluid unless there is a leak.
They change out vehicles at 400k km.
Their down time is @6% during the life of the vehicles. Accidents account for most of the down time.

The owner's brother (and partner) is a GM engineer (SAE) and advises him on the maintenance schedules and the efficacy of what is recommended by the OEM's.
The skeds set up by the OEM's are for the furtherence of the dealerships.
This can be applied to any vehicle, be it Vespa or Harley. It is all what can be be sold to the user/buyer.
If you're gullible, go for it.
It will salve your conscience. (and of course validate your warranty - NOT). More on this later.

That is now changing.
We will soon see a different attitude toward maintenance as the "new" economy emerges.
I forgot to mention that these vehicles operate 24/7 and in WX that ranges from -35°C to + 30°C
, snow, rain, etc.
@rgconner avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS250

Ossessionato
@rgconner avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
EN82pg wrote:
rgconner wrote:
EN82pg wrote:
Come on, keep it going.
It's really working, eh?? Guess you guys have a free day as well.
Fear the nerdy anti-freeze debate team!

Nerd emoticon Clown emoticon Nerd emoticon Nerd emoticon

Hey, how did that clown get in here!

Show me a part that is completely entropy free and I will agree it never needs replacing.

Other than that, every fluid and mechanical part must be replaced or it will fail. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is a harsh mistress.

Can you get away with not changing fluids? Sure.

I would argue that those taxi's are better maintained than the average vehicle even at the schedule mentioned. Working in my grandfather's small engine repair shop as a teenager/20 something exposed me to the evils people perpetrated on unsuspecting engines.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0255s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0096s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]