UTC

Enthusiast
04 stella

Enthusiast
@jughead avatar
04 stella
UTC quote
Heya all,

After a bit of a PITA install i got the new wider zippy1 (130/70x10 ) on the rear of my LX.

the ride was an instant change a lot nicer...but here brings a new problem. The damn thing seems taller, it will easily bottom out on the same shock setting and when i moved it to the "Fat guy" setting (3rd highest) the tire now touches the ground when on the center stand. Just enough to stop the rotation, it bottoms out a lot less but WOW! I thought maybe the info i recieved was wrong and checked and its the same height as the stock tire its only wider. THen i thought i bet that guy at the Honda shop over inflated and it turns out its actually 7lbs less then it should be.

So my question is, is the 130 really made for the LX, its only 10mm wider and doesnt rub on the sides where i thought it would, Im quite perplexed.

any thoughts.

thanks
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
The info you received was wrong, or maybe just incomplete.

Stock LX150 tire is 120/70-10, you got 130/70-10 which is wider AND taller. If you get a wider tire and want the entire tire/wheel assmbly to stay about the same size, you also need to get one with a lower aspect ratio.

Your sidewall height (distance from the tread to rim) changed as follows:

120 x .70 = 84 mm
130 x .70 = 91 mm

Ride height is up 7mm, total diameter by 14mm. The "bottoming" might be rubbing of the plastic fender which sits over the top of the tire. It's already a pretty tight fit with the stock size. Speedo shouldn't be affected because it runs off the front wheel.

Check out a tire with a 65 aspect ratio:

130 x .65 = 84.5 mm

Which is almost the same as stock. 130/65-10 might be the better choice (if they make them!) when up-sizing tires on a LX.
UTC

Hooked
lx 150

Hooked
lx 150
UTC quote
You could get the zippy that is 120/70/10 its what i ve been using with no problems

Though I've been thinking about trying the 130 next, just to see what a wider tire is like.
OP
@jughead avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
04 stella

Enthusiast
@jughead avatar
04 stella
UTC quote
Edited: more rational mood.

Ok other then rubbing the hell outa my plastic inner fender when it bottoms out is it going to ruin anything?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]