OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
I did a search and reviewed 69 threads to generate a comparison of rear tire life on 250s. The table is below. If I mistyped or misread something let me know and I will correct. If you have additional data let me know and I will edit the post to add it.

Some Observations:
- Different riders with the same tire can get double the life due to riding style or conditions.
- An individual rider with experience on multiple tires is probably the best brand comparison.
- SH Lim has the longest life on both original tire and replacement tire. Either he is doing something right or roads over there are much easier on tires.
- SH Lim also has access to Gold Standard tires for 12" wheel. They are available somewhere in the world and hopefully soon in the U.S.
- UFO has the most tire experience and other tan SH Lim the longest life on his Zippy 1s
- Heidenau tires show promise but only one report and that tire was replaced for a customer before the end of its useful life. UFO is back in the saddle and the miles he rides we should have another data point in a couple days. Several others have installed.

Name Tire Miles Comments
Cheapseats OEM 2000
Emptynest Michelin Pilot Sport 3200
EMEPETRES Pierelli GTS 24 4900 Squared off but still on bike
Fuzzy Michelin Pilot Sport 2037 blow out worn out
Fuzzy Michelin Pilot Sport 2000
Fuzzy Zippy 1 140/70-12 2300 Thread of ply visable
Fuzzy Heideneau K61 140/70-12 2950 Thread of ply visable
Fuzzy Michelin Gold Standard 2400 More rubber left than Heidenau or Zippy
Fuzzy Pirelli SL 36 1100 Threads starting to show.
Fuzzy Michelin Pilot City 1600
Fuzzy Heideneau K61 130/70-12 2700 Center groove gives squirlly ride on some surfaces.
Indocrowe Michelin Pilot Sport 2500 blow out worn out
Jfredrik Michelin Pilot Sport 3200
Joechi Michelin Pilot Sport 2900
Luthorhuss Michelin Pilot Sport 3189
Maroy Pierelli GTS 24 4500
Maroy Michelin Pilot city 1500 Cannonball
MotoAmore Heidenau 5700 GTS removed with lots of life left
Reno Bob Avon 1200 Cannonball
Reno Bob OEM 2700
SAFit07 OEM 3400
SHLim Michelin Pilot Sport 4340 (7000 km)
SHLim Michelin Gold Standard 6820 (11000 km)
Siko OEM 4300
Stickyfrog Michelin Pilot Sport 3500
Trek Guy Zippy 1 4000 still running
UFO OEM 3600
UFO Zippy 1 5400
UFO Zippy 1 6000
UFO Striker 2000
Zinfan Pierelli GTS 24 2500
Zinfan Torente 3100

I will be glad to add to this post any data received.

This comparison is only tire life and ignores any other reasons to buy such as riding in rain or performance in twisties.

For some reqason when I submit this all the spaces and tabs are deleted so there are no columns of data. If anyone has a technique to prevent this let me know and I will fix.

Edits are adding data points.
⚠️ Last edited by Fuzzy on UTC; edited 12 times
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 500

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Fuzzy,

Thanks for doing this. I mean, really, thanks for doing this. Clap emoticon

One of the things I love about this forum is the generosity of the posters, sharing their experiences and their time. This is a perfect example.

Jack
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
You know I have a question. I was at my dealership yesterday picking up my scoot. I asked them about tires (rear for my 250). His perspective was the tires ability to grip the road vs. tire wear. So in most of the research that I have read in the forum it appears to be about tire wear and occassionally how well it does on wet roads not much about grip. So what is the balance? How important is gripping ability. I get that gripping is important but what is the balance? At this point I have narrowed it down to Pirelli Diablo or Heidenau. I believe it was jimc who I first read about the Pilot's ability to grip - great when it isn't worn. How about the others? The dealer had me thinking about this. I would trade off some wear for some grip. Anyone have any thoughts?

Dale
UTC

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
UTC quote
I've only used two GTS-24's, each at around 2500 miles, the second one blew out at slow speed and was pretty worn. I saw very rapid wear at the 2500 mile mark, like going from looking worn but serviceable to blown out, threads showing in just 45-60 miles. I also had a Shinko tire (SR007 model I think) on the bike that lasted 1700 miles and was total crap for me, I never liked the way it handled and the sidewalls seemed too flexible making for a squirmy ride. Now I have the Vredestein Torante that I like a lot but only have 800 miles on so far. Very stiff sidewalls (difficult to mount using the mini tire changer) and a nice smooth profile, handles well but I haven't ridden it in wet conditions yet. Wear so far seems pretty good and no sign of it starting to square off the profile. I have a 140/70 K61 in reserve for my next tire.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Nice work Fuzzy. That took some time to compile Thanks for that. I will be reporting on the Heidenau I installed soon.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
dccappy wrote:
You know I have a question. I was at my dealership yesterday picking up my scoot. I asked them about tires (rear for my 250). His perspective was the tires ability to grip the road vs. tire wear. So in most of the research that I have read in the forum it appears to be about tire wear and occassionally how well it does on wet roads not much about grip. So what is the balance? How important is gripping ability. I get that gripping is important but what is the balance? At this point I have narrowed it down to Pirelli Diablo or Heidenau. I believe it was jimc who I first read about the Pilot's ability to grip - great when it isn't worn. How about the others? The dealer had me thinking about this. I would trade off some wear for some grip. Anyone have any thoughts?

Dale
First off, NICE WORK FUZZY! You're quickly becoming the tire Guru of the forums, and it's nice to have one! BTW, have you tried saving the chart in Word, then copying it to Paint, saving as a Jpeg or bmp. and loading up as an attachment pic?

Secondly, just to throw even MORE of a monkey wrench into your brain dccappy, the tire pressure GREATLY affects the grip of the tires or the "STICKY". Even on my crappy Michelin Pilot Sports(just my opinion), I found that going with the pressures listed in the book gave me more grip, so much so, that it really felt like a 'better' tire. HOWEVER, if you want a good rule of thumb without slowly becoming a tire zombie like Fuzzy Razz emoticon, then just remember that as a general rule, the more you adjust the tires down to get grip, the faster they will wear. This is the main difference between upper priced racing tires and generics. Racing tires can maintain grip even at 'normal' pressures and thus will last a bit longer than a normal tire that is running sticky by having lower(not dangerously low though) pressure for grip. This being said, take into consideration HOW YOU DRIVE TOO. If you're doing mainly highway speeds, then 'sticky' is less important and actually having higher pressure than the manual will increase tire wear. If you're still following me, it should now be evident how they come up with the manual pressures in the book. These are pressure that give some grip without sacrificing the tire too badly should you go all highway. So, if you get a tire, even a crappy tire, the pressure adjustment based on twisties or highway speeds can greatly increase either the tire life, or the grip for better quality while the tire does lasts. Now beyond this, the only remaining factor is the actual QUALITY of the tire you've bought(tread depth, rubber, size, weight it will handle, etc.)...Is your mind numb yet ?
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
I don't know If anybody noticed..But everybody is raising their tire prices..Except for Motorsport Scooters..I guess us MP3er's are making a dent in the tire industry..I hope they are listening.. Crying or Very sad emoticon
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
My 140/70-12 Zippy 1 only gave 15% more life than the Michelin Pilot Sports. After 2300 miles the plys started to show. I replaced it with a Heidenau from Moto-Amore. He is the US distributor for the Heidenau so if you want to buy locally put your dealer in touch with him.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with the owner of Moto-Amore which was very informative and helpful. I got great service and recommend them. I paid $15 extra for 2nd day air from post office. He reported that a number of GTS owners have had improved performance from the tires. A look through the General Discussion forum show they have pretty much the same problem as the MP3 250 in rear tire wear with the same size tire.

In trying to find a replacement tire two local Gerogia motorcycle dealers said that their computers show a Michelin Gold Standard in 130/70-12 size to be available the end of October. Maybe we will soon have another option.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 400
UTC quote
Cool about the Michelin 130/70-12 being available. I was going to order my rear tires soon to have them ready for when I needed. But I will wait to see if the Michelin's become available here in the states. I have 1600 miles on the Pilot's and they look like little to no wear right now. But I have read where that changes in a heartbeat. Sure don't want to be without my bike because I waited too long to order a tire.

Dale
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
Okay, I've braced myself for the 'pimp' slapping that will come from the experts on the site, but I just gotta ask:

IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 130/70-12 MICHELIN GOLD REAR TIRE AND A 130/70-12 FRONT TIRE?

Sorry if that's dumb. I just don't know. If there's not, I've found a site that has the 130/70 P rated 12 Michelin Golds in stock now. And they're on sale . They're listed as Front(hooray for me and my 500!). I just thought if there is no difference, then hey...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Yes - tread pattern. Quite important - the front and rear tyres do completely different jobs on a bike.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC quote
Ahh, k. Didn't know. By the way, I rode about a month ago with Harleys. They all liked the 500 but they did bring up a point that I haven't heard anybody clarify on here.

They all pointed at the front tires and thought they were on 'backwards'. I told them all 500s were set up this way, but they did point out that the tread pattern on ALL the cruisers(there were about 60) were exactly backwards of the 500. They made me think there's got to be something unusual about the bike or the tires. They thought that the treads put on the way they were would actually hurt wet riding. Here's what they were talking about:
jpg
522kb
UTC

Hooked
mp3 250

Hooked
mp3 250
UTC quote
OEM tires, pirelli's, lasted 2000, (all three) tried Kenda brand on front, $26 apiece, lasted 4000 miles on front, bridgestone on rear has 4000 and still going. mostly high speed back country curves. too much fun. I am experiencing uneven wear on front tires. Is there an alignment adjustment on these things. priced new kendra tires for front, now up to $45.
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Luthoruss, There should be a rotation arrow on the side of the tire. If it is correct show it to the Harley riders next time. If not..........?
UTC

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007

Addicted
MP3 Piaggio 2007
UTC quote
Uneven wear
Lgrande, Mp3 250 13,250 m. 2007

Yes I'm having the same uneven wear on the fronts that your having. Dealers were given an alignment tool for checking this a few months back.
@willmw avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 250, BV250

Addicted
@willmw avatar
MP3 250, BV250
UTC quote
I finally decided to give up on my OEM Michelin Pilot Sport rear at 2800 miles. I could possibly have gotten a few more out of it (making it to 3000 would have been a major stretch, from the looks of it), but since I had 2 more of them sitting in the garage smiling at me every time I checked the original, I went ahead and pulled the rear wheel and got my local tire shop to change it for me. Only charged me $10 for the change. I didn't have them balance it and haven't noticed any problems so far in the first 50 miles or so on the new one.

After the rear wheel removal and reinstall, I kept wondering if they could have made that a bit easier maybe by encasing it in a hermetically sealed titanium case or something. Clown emoticon I think the hardest part for me was getting the parking brake back on.
UTC

Enthusiast
piaggio mp3 500

Enthusiast
piaggio mp3 500
UTC quote
At 4700 miles, my Zippy 1 is showing noticeable signs of wear, all in the center. Dealer in Cleveland is ordering a new one, and I will have it replaced within 500 miles. Fronts are the origional Michelin Pilot Sports, in decent shape. I will have them repalced at the 12k service.

Still riding in comfort in NE Ohio on Nov 2.
@sh_lim avatar
UTC

Addicted
mp3 250

Addicted
@sh_lim avatar
mp3 250
UTC quote
Good observations fuzzy, I could get a bit more milage on the tires after I found out that the first rear tire gets worn out too fast. As such I go easy on the daily riding of the bike. I would use less emergency brakings and would refuse to drive like I stole it ( when I can help it ). My bike is gonna be 1year old on the 6th of this month. I have put on the third rear tire a month ago together with the pair of front tires and new belt. guess the road are not the contributor to the long life of the tires but riding habit. Remember how ufo have a looks like new brake pads even after long usage? Like he puts it, its how you handle the bike. Cheers! Laughing emoticon
UTC

Hooked
mp3 250

Hooked
mp3 250
UTC quote
wheel allignment
I rode to my dealer, asked the service manager about alligning the front wheels...he replied motorcycles don't need allignments. Of course this started a warm discussion on my service needs. The service dude stated he had no allignment tools, but they may get something in the spring. Call him in February. It was at that time the owner of the dealership walked through. I asked the owner if he was the man I needed to see to get tools for service. Upon explanation, he stated that yes, the allignment tool had arrived from the manufacteror. Very pricey. It came with no instructions so it hasn't been taken out of the box. He called in his technician, who stated he did not know how to use it. I explained that I had downloaded the service manual on the internet (thanks to this forum) and suggested they do the same.

I'll give them a couple of days and try again.
UTC

had an '07 250, now a '09 400

had an '07 250, now a '09 400
UTC quote
I have to replace my Pierelli rear tire at 3700m.

Should i go with another GTS, or try the Michelin gold?
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
If you can get the Michelin Gold it is the one that has had the best reports. Make sure you get a rear tire as Michelin makes them different. Last week on their U.S. web page they listed a 130/70-12 front tire but not a rear one.

Jimc gave an explanation of why different front and rear in another thread.
UTC

Hooked
'07 MP3 250 ('08 Mar-'09 Mar)

Hooked
UTC quote
Finally, as promised...my rear OEM tire @ 4045miles. I've had her since Spring '08.

P.S. - Received the K58 Heind from CA today and the ride/tire will be picked-up by my fav shop/dealer tomorrow.

[img][/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
SAFit07, what make / model tire is that?
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Lgrande wrote:
OEM tires, pirelli's, lasted 2000, (all three) tried Kenda brand on front, $26 apiece, lasted 4000 miles on front, bridgestone on rear has 4000 and still going. mostly high speed back country curves. too much fun. I am experiencing uneven wear on front tires. Is there an alignment adjustment on these things. priced new kendra tires for front, now up to $45.
I see Kenda makes 2 different tires that fit the 250 MP3. 1 is softer than the other 1. Which did you try ?
UTC

Hooked
mp3 250

Hooked
mp3 250
UTC quote
I really do not know, I took what the dealer had in stock. They performed ok, and the wear wasn't too bad, but they looked terrible. The tread design looked like it belonged on industrial equipment.

I have Avons on the front now, what a difference in ride performance.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Fuzzy asked:
Quote:
SAFit07, what make / model tire is that?
The two pics show the OEM tire...the Michelin Pilot.

Heck, the shop commented earlier this month about the mileage I'd gotten that it was time for a replacement. However, after noticing the tire wear...they then retracted and commented that I had quite abit left as you can see.

However, I'd already bought the K58 and have got it picked-up and in the shop for another service....thought might as well.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Lgrande wrote:
I really do not know, I took what the dealer had in stock. They performed ok, and the wear wasn't too bad, but they looked terrible. The tread design looked like it belonged on industrial equipment.

I have Avons on the front now, what a difference in ride performance.
Well, when it's time I'm going to try the K761s front and rear, assuming I can get them at a decent price. Looks like they're made for both ends. I change them out myself.
@emptynest avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP 3

Addicted
@emptynest avatar
MP 3
UTC quote
I went 3800 on my second replacement which is much better than what the original lasted, and I probably could have stretched it to 4,000, but why try?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Got the K58 on her now. We shall see how long she lasts me. Now that I got my winter bacala & gloves, I hope to continue riding through the winter.

Just will have to avoid the calls for rainy/sleet days.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
My Heidenau K-61 got 50% more life than the Michelin Pilots and 30% more than Zippy. An additional advantage it maintained a good ride feel until close to the end of the tire life whereas the Pilots and Zippy ride deteriated much sooner. On the Pilots ride quality was down after just 1000 miles.

Installed a 130/70-12 Michelin Gold Standard last night so we will see how it compares.

If others have experience to put in the original post let me know and I will add by edit of the post. What is there I found by searching other posts and it is not a complete list. Especially interested in life of Gold Standard with only one person having reported wearing one out on 250.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
In miles, what does 50% more mean ?
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
In miles, what does 50% more mean ?
I got 2000 on each of 2 Michelin Pilot Sport tires and 2950 on the Heidenau K61. I give the relative mileage as each tire was same rider in same conditions. Some have gotten twice my mileage on the same tires. Most of my miles are highway at 60 -65 mph. There are a few other multiple tire riders reported in the first post of this thread. That post will be added to through edits when people tell me their results.
@emptynest avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP 3

Addicted
@emptynest avatar
MP 3
UTC quote
Tire Wear
How about the front tires Fuzzy, do we have any stats on those? I'm about 8500 miles on those and they still show tread.
UTC

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black

Hooked
UTC quote
I'm having a look at my OEM Rear, and hoping it will last until my 5000Km service. Otherwise, I'm going to have to pay for tyre fitment first, and my service in less than 1000K. That's two lots of labour when I would only need to pay for one.

I do a fair bit of pillion riding. For those who own 250's and carry a pillion regularly, which tyre have you had the best experience with?

I wouldn't mind moving to a 140 size tyre (with the hope of prolonging tyre life), so if any of you have a rear tyre of this type installed as well as carry a pillion, I'd be very interested in your findings.
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
9,250 miles on my front and it is aobut time. They last long enough that the only one who has commented on changing them is UFO. If my second fronts last linger than the first I will be over 20,000 miles finding out.

MY Zippy1 and Heidenau K-61 were both 140/70-12. The shop that has been putting my tires on says the wider tire is forced to be more rounded in the same rim and will wear in the middle faster. I wonder if that is why I did not get extra life out of my Zippy like UFO does? The Gold Standard I just put on is 130 width. I put 50 miles on it today on wet road so it is just getting broken in.
@marlor avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 Silver

Hooked
@marlor avatar
MP3 250 Silver
UTC quote
jaredmorgs wrote:
I'm having a look at my OEM Rear, and hoping it will last until my 5000Km service.
Which OEM tyre is it?

I have Maxxis tyres on mine, others have Michelin Pilots.
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Michelin Pilot Sport was my OEM front and rear.
@emptynest avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP 3

Addicted
@emptynest avatar
MP 3
UTC quote
Thanks for the info Fuzzy, I'm reaching 9000 in about another 100 miles, so I'll be due pretty soon.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Marlor wrote:
jaredmorgs wrote:
I'm having a look at my OEM Rear, and hoping it will last until my 5000Km service.
Which OEM tyre is it?

I have Maxxis tyres on mine, others have Michelin Pilots.
Pirelli GTS23 I think.
@marlor avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 Silver

Hooked
@marlor avatar
MP3 250 Silver
UTC quote
jaredmorgs wrote:
Pirelli GTS23 I think.
Cool, thanks.

So, there are at least three different "OEM" tyres.

But I seem to be the only one on here who got the Maxxis Malagutis.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0439s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0265s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]