UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
priced new kendra tires for front, now up to $45.
I see Kenda makes 2 different tires that fit the 250 MP3. 1 is softer than the other 1. Which did you try ?

Just so you know Kenda are Chinese made tires. They are fairly cheap if that tells you anything.
I had a set on my old Chinese scoot that were out of round and wobbled sideways, and badly out of balance to the point that tire shops would not balance them due to the out of round condition. The speed rating was only 64MPH too. I replaced them with michelins and had no problems.
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
UTC quote
larry8 wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
priced new kendra tires for front, now up to $45.
I see Kenda makes 2 different tires that fit the 250 MP3. 1 is softer than the other 1. Which did you try ?

Just so you know Kenda are Chinese made tires. They are fairly cheap if that tells you anything.
I had a set on my old Chinese scoot that were out of round and wobbled sideways, and badly out of balance to the point that tire shops would not balance them due to the out of round condition. The speed rating was only 64MPH too. I replaced them with michelins and had no problems.
Just so you know Kenda tires are made in Taiwan, just like Kymco scooters. Right now I have 2 MCs with Kenda front tires and I LOVE them ! I've had Kenda rear tires, which are 6 ply rated, and other than the fact they have only lasted me 7K mi. each time, I have no other complaints of them.

Nowadays, when it comes to value, I see no real correlation in quality and price. Razz emoticon
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
MP3 250
UTC quote
Dont forget about WEIGHT!
I think a big factor to consider is the weight of the rider plus passenger in addition to riding style and riding conditions...

I weigh 200 plus my wife (110) is frequently on the back plus we also frequenttly have back packs and or groceries so we are often carrying 350 lbs. That I think contributes greatly to wear of the tire. I've only gotten 2000 miles on original Pilots.

So the question is how much does SH Lim weigh?????
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Re: Dont forget about WEIGHT!
vitomatt wrote:
I think a big factor to consider is the weight of the rider plus passenger in addition to riding style and riding conditions...

I weigh 200 plus my wife (110) is frequently on the back plus we also frequenttly have back packs and or groceries so we are often carrying 350 lbs. That I think contributes greatly to wear of the tire. I've only gotten 2000 miles on original Pilots.

So the question is how much does SH Lim weigh?????
If you go to Continental Tire's web page and look in the technical manual for motorcycle and scooter tires and they state that a second passenger will increase the life of the rear tire. With more weight it will have better traction and less slip thus improved wear. SH Lim often has his wife riding with him according to his posts.

Continental's comments are counter to everything else I have heard but I can't find any other information on other tire web pages. The reasons for wear are not all intuitively obvious and getting more data will help understanding.
@emepetres avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@emepetres avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
My contribution to the post
Hi All: Just to give my 2 cents on my tires.

My OEM tires - GTS 23 Pirelli 120-70/12 Front and GTS 24 Pirelli - 130-70-12 Back - so far have 4,500 miles on them. I think I have a few hundred miles to go on my back tires. My commute is like 60% highway - 40% non-highway - 60 miles/day.
Rear Tire at 4,500 miles
Rear Tire at 4,500 miles
Side View Rear Tire at 4,500 miles
Side View Rear Tire at 4,500 miles
Front Tires @ 4,500 miles
Front Tires @ 4,500 miles
Rear Tire at 4,700 miles (Cleaner)
Rear Tire at 4,700 miles (Cleaner)
⚠️ Last edited by EMEPETRES on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
EMEPETRES, keep a close watch on that rear tire. At the end of the tire's life it can go quick and leave you stranded on that 60 mile route or worse yet an accident. Daily put the bike on the rear stand and roll the tire around checking for problems. You have pretty well squared it off and will experience a significant ride improvement when replaced. The front tires will probably last more than double the rear.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
+1

That rear tyre is well and truely shagged.
@emepetres avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@emepetres avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
Hi fuzzy & jimc:
I am planning to change the tire soonish! I just riding only 1 day out of the week due to cold wather here in Austin; which by many of you standards is not even cold but for us is freezing! Laters!
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Just keep a close watch on the tire for signs of wearing through. Look every time you ride it and roll the tire around to look at all of it. Safety first!

As to cold weather, I spent a couple years in Austin and it is colder there than central Georgia.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Fuzzy wrote:
Just keep a close watch on the tire for signs of wearing through. Look every time you ride it and roll the tire around to look at all of it. Safety first!

As to cold weather, I spent a couple years in Austin and it is colder there than central Georgia.
+1 I agree. Your rear tire still has some life left in it. Just because a tire tread is smooth in the middle doesn't automatically mean the tire is worn out. Some new tires are smooth in the middle when new.

When I posted this I was thinking your rear tire started with a center groove. After looking at my identical tires I see it's only the front tires that do. But like you say, just keep an eye on it 'till you see cord.

I had a MC tire that lost it's center groove at 4,000 miles. I rode it another 3,000 miles before it was time to replace it. 8)
⚠️ Last edited by norCal Randy on UTC; edited 1 time
@emepetres avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@emepetres avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
Hi Randy:
Thanks for the input! The tires looks worst then what it appears to be! it is due to a dirt road near my job; which is about 30 feet long when I cross it! I'll wash my scoot this weekend and post new pics for a better feel of the use! I think I have at least 500 miles more or a month's worth of riding before changing it. But, I agree w/you guys said; I'll keep an eye on it everyday for any signs!
@emepetres avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@emepetres avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
I just added a photo of a cleaner look rear tire 4,700 miles

bump up! thats all!
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
EMEPETRES wrote:
I just added a photo of a cleaner look rear tire 4,700 miles

bump up! thats all!
Can't wait to see how many miles you get out of your rear tire.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
Looks like some squaring on that tire which you may be noticing a difference in handling but it you are mostly straight and level cruising you may have a few hundred left.

When my oem pilot sport squared off I noticed a slight fishtail effect especially when crossing the centerline of the road.

Would like to see a pic and a mileage report when you change it.
@emepetres avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@emepetres avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
New Tire Now
Hi All:
Finally I change my rear tire (Pirelli 24 130-70/12). I got about 4,900 miles out of it and replace it with same Pirelli 24 model. Thanks for the input guys!
Old Rear Tire @ 4,900 miles
Old Rear Tire @ 4,900 miles
New Rear Tire Pirelli 24 130-70/12
New Rear Tire Pirelli 24 130-70/12
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You were playing it very close to "Oops".
@sh_lim avatar
UTC

Addicted
mp3 250

Addicted
@sh_lim avatar
mp3 250
UTC quote
Razz emoticon Sorry fuzzy, just noticed your question. Iam about 180lbs and my mrs. is 125lbs. Razz emoticon I am now having two front Continental tires. Changed it when it was at 18500km and now it is slightly over 25000km. The rear tire is still the second Michelin Gold Standard after one OEM Michelin Pilot Sport and one Michelin Gold Standard. Soon it will be time to change the rear and I have one Continental 130-70-12 in hand. That will make it all Continental front and back. Will have a check on the milage diffrences between the two different brands.
@jfredrik avatar
UTC

Addicted
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650

Addicted
@jfredrik avatar
Suzuki Burgman Executive 650
UTC quote
I had 4,000 miles on my Pirelli Diablo rear tire before I sold my MP3, and it still had plenty of tread. I always ran 40.5 lbs in the rear tire, and never carried a passenger, if that helps!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
The Diablos are great tyres - but the wear marking are deceptive! You think you have loads left when in reality there's not a lot...

From a short article I wrote elsewhere:

-------------
Tyres and wear markers.

Do not believe wear markers on your tyres unless you are very sure of them! Believe your 'butt' first. The impetus for this missive is my experience with some (as it turns out) very good Pirelli Diablo tyres. The wear markers were 4cm off-centre each side and still had 3mm left. However on a LAM outing not so long ago I had remarked the the back felt 'iffy'. Several folk looked at them, they all said they didn't look that squared off, and I began to wonder if I was a bit of a wuss.

However, on taking the rear tyre off at the dealers, it was evident there was only a very thin coating of rubber between the outside world and strange metal thingies. My butt had saved me I think - but the tyre itself was not squared off, the loss of rubber had allowed the pressure within to retain a good shape.

So those of you who do not have centre wear marks on your tyres, have a good think as you approach the 'nominal limit' as observed by other users of the same tyre on the same bike.
------------
UTC

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Addicted
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
The Diablos are great tyres - but the wear marking are deceptive! You think you have loads left when in reality there's not a lot...

From a short article I wrote elsewhere:

-------------
Tyres and wear markers.

Do not believe wear markers on your tyres unless you are very sure of them! Believe your 'butt' first. The impetus for this missive is my experience with some (as it turns out) very good Pirelli Diablo tyres. The wear markers were 4cm off-centre each side and still had 3mm left. However on a LAM outing not so long ago I had remarked the the back felt 'iffy'. Several folk looked at them, they all said they didn't look that squared off, and I began to wonder if I was a bit of a wuss.

However, on taking the rear tyre off at the dealers, it was evident there was only a very thin coating of rubber between the outside world and strange metal thingies. My butt had saved me I think - but the tyre itself was not squared off, the loss of rubber had allowed the pressure within to retain a good shape.

So those of you who do not have centre wear marks on your tyres, have a good think as you approach the 'nominal limit' as observed by other users of the same tyre on the same bike.
------------
I'm checking my Vredestein Torante rear tire every day now. It also has retained it's profile (no squaring off of the center) and has no center groves to keep track of. I currently have 2800 miles on it (no other tire lasted more than 2500) and the wear bars still show some tread left. Like you said Jim, I'm looking for telltales when I ride and one key indicator for me is if the tire is squirming on uneven pavement. In the past I've noticed a rise in the amount of squirming as the tire reaches end of life but I didn't realize what it meant until I had one blow out.

The best road condition I've found for testing how the tire is doing is a section of tarmac that has a seam in the middle of it from a repaving project that only did half the lane at a time. There usually is a slight height difference between the two sections and when I ride across the boundary I get more and more squirming as the rear tire wears out. Hope that makes some kind of sense to readers, it sounds good in my mind
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Re: New Tire Now
EMEPETRES wrote:
Hi All:
Finally I change my rear tire (Pirelli 24 130-70/12). I got about 4,900 miles out of it and replace it with same Pirelli 24 model. Thanks for the input guys!
Then I'm going to expect 5,000 miles out of my rear tire like you got. Thanks for your posts/pictures.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Zinfan wrote:
The best road condition I've found for testing how the tire is doing is a section of tarmac that has a seam in the middle of it from a repaving project that only did half the lane at a time. There usually is a slight height difference between the two sections and when I ride across the boundary I get more and more squirming as the rear tire wears out. Hope that makes some kind of sense to readers, it sounds good in my mind
That's one 'butt-sensitive' indicator for sure (but do check pressures!).

When mine was left with only 1mm left between road and carcass (even though there was 2mm left before the wear markers were touched) it just felt 'wrong' on dodgy (wet, whatever) surfaces. Fine on the straight and wide, not so good on the twisty and narrow.
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Zinfan wrote:

When mine was left with only 1mm left between road and carcass (even though there was 2mm left before the wear markers were touched) it just felt 'wrong' on dodgy (wet, whatever) surfaces. Fine on the straight and wide, not so good on the twisty and narrow.
Some of us don't get the pleasure of riding in rain much, Jim
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Zinfan wrote:

Yep tire pressure checked 3 times a week or more. This tire seems to hold air better than the Pirelli GTS-24's I've had, only need to add a bit of air every 3 weeks or so and that is to get the pressure from 37.5 up to 39 psi.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
norCal Randy wrote:
Some of us don't get the pleasure of riding in rain much, Jim
I think this upcomming week will give Californians plenty of chances to ride in the wet stuff .
UTC

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black
UTC quote
I will be getting a rear tyre fitted which has not yet featured on the many tyre-related threads (to my knowledge).

It from tyre manufacturer IRC. The mechanics at my local service centre all run IRCs, and speak highly of them. They are about $15 (aussie) cheaper than the OEM Pirelli Rears to boot. Time will tell whether the $15 saved is worth it.

Should be interesting to see how they perform over time.
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
My 2 loves...Riding my MP3 and a new rear tyre.. My rear tires last about 2 and 1/2 months..I am afraid 2 do the math.. Crying or Very sad emoticon I would say..It don't matter what rear tire you get..They all go like....Butter...4 the fronts I like the Zippy's and the heidanua..I have those German tires on my fronts and they are awesome.. 8)
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
6000 miles today and changing the Heidenau K58's I put on at 3500. Only got 2500 out of it but it is a soft tire. Changing out the K58 for a K61 tommorrow.

Added: Sorry about the large pic. Thought i had made it smaller.
Middle is the K58 being changed. Left is a new K58 for next fall.  Right is the K61 going on tomorrow.
Middle is the K58 being changed. Left is a new K58 for next fall. Right is the K61 going on tomorrow.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
My Torente just ran out of rubber, the threads are just showing now. 3100 miles so about 600 miles more than any Pirelli GTS-24 gave me. I'm glad I was checking this tire every day once past 2200 miles on it, it really kept its performance up until the very last without any telltales that it was getting worn out. Next up is the K61 Heidenau in 140 width.
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
Does anyone have info on how long I might expect my stock Savas to last (at least the rear one)? I could have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention it in this thread.

I've got less than 2K on the bike so far, so I'm not worried. But I honestly don't know what to look for in terms of wear. Don't even know what exactly the wear indicator marks are... there's several colored marks on both tires, in different places (although you can't see them in this crappy phone pic).
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

With previous scoots, I had my Scarabeo the longest. But I myseriously managed to pick up a nail nearly every 2-3K or sooner (seriously, wtf?), so I never had a clue as to how long the rear tire might actually last. I do know exactly how annoying it is to get it changed, though.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Witch,

Best to post in the General Forum, MP-3's don't come with Sava tires.
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
I just had a Kenda k413 put on the rear..It's a 130/70-12..My buddy owns a motor cycle shop and had it sitting around..I noticed the Can-Am Spiders run Kenda tires..It was only $25 bucks and I will let every one know how many miles I get on it.. Crying or Very sad emoticon I like 2 try out different tires but I know I will end up going back 2 my tried and trued Zippy 1"s..They are awesome..I got a new belt..new stock variator/rollers..New rear tire and oil filter and oil change..I am as happy as a monkey in a banana factory..
UTC

Lurker
mp3 250

Lurker
mp3 250
UTC quote
bad pilot sports
only about 3 k and down to bars
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Re: bad pilot sports
dadsafrantic wrote:
only about 3 k and down to bars
About average for a rear tire, if you are talking about the fronts, then yes a bit quick on the wear.
@emptynest avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP 3

Addicted
@emptynest avatar
MP 3
UTC quote
I'm about to order for front tires. Any web site recommendations?
@emptynest avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP 3

Addicted
@emptynest avatar
MP 3
UTC quote
That's about 9400 miles so far.
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie

Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400ie
UTC quote
web site recommendations for sourcing tires
emptynest wrote:
I'm about to order for front tires. Any web site recommendations?
SMALLTIRES.COM
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
MotorcycleSuperstore.com is $3 cheaper for each front plus they have free shipping on orders over $75, while smalltires.com will charge 17.00+ for shipping.

Wayne B
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
I have bought two rear tires from Scooter Trap in Orlando. Price includes shipping and got good service. Matt rides an MP3 500.
OP
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
UTC quote
Don't Try Pirelli SL36
In a bind when FedEx lost the rear tire Scooter Trap sent I put on the only thing I could find, a Pirelli SL36. Ply threads showing after only 1100 miles. Got me out of a bind but not the best tire for an MP3.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0676s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0497s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]