OP
UTC

UTC quote
I am convinced that the lack of increase in power at the top end is due to the cylinder head. I hear this over and over again about modded ET4.

I am planning to put on the 187cc Malossi. I already bought one.

The cylinder head channels are to be milled out to a bigger diameter and smoothed out.
As this is a 2 valve head compared to the 4 valve head of the GT 200 I maybe put in bigger valves as well....

The carb I am replacing with a 29 mm walbro from a GT 200 I already bought for only $20.

Anyone has an idea what I will gain? Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

Will it be similar to the power of the GT 200?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@tfauch avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@tfauch avatar
UTC quote
See: Piaggio Engines and look at the difference between 2 valve and 4 valve and air cooled and liquid cooled engines.

Tim
UTC

Hooked
1962 Lambretta TV175, 2001 ET4, 1972 Honda CB350 1969 Honda CL350

Hooked
1962 Lambretta TV175, 2001 ET4, 1972 Honda CB350 1969 Honda CL350
UTC quote
My ET4 keeps up with stock GT's all day long and I didn't do any machining at all.
@orbit avatar
UTC

Hooked
06' Vespa LX150, 73' Serveta Jet200, 64' Vespa GL150

Hooked
@orbit avatar
06' Vespa LX150, 73' Serveta Jet200, 64' Vespa GL150
UTC quote
Not listed in the PDF that TFauch linked to, but the stats on Piaggio USA's site lists the FLY 150 as having a 150cc air-cooled 4-valve SOHC engine.

I believe that other than that, the LX/ET and the Fly have the same LEADER engine.
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
You might want to consider making a GT200 airbox fit to go with that carb. Those carbs are very particular to incoming airflow, and those airboxes are designed very specifically for those carbs. I don't have any real experience with doing this mod, but it's one of the things that popped into my head.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Orbit wrote:
Not listed in the PDF that TFauch linked to, but the stats on Piaggio USA's site lists the FLY 150 as having a 150cc air-cooled 4-valve SOHC engine.

I believe that other than that, the LX/ET and the Fly have the same LEADER engine.
I have a feeling that the 4-valve air cooled thing is a typo. The multi-valve layout is a large part of why the liquid cooled LEADER and QUASAR engines make more power than the air cooled ones. The cool thing about the 4 valve LEADER engines is that they still only use 2 rocker arms, and a two lobe camshaft. Someone enterprising and engineering savvy could potentially make an air cooled version of the 4-valve head, which would likely unleash more power from that engine. When I did the valve work on my engine, my friend and I looked at the head and realized there was a lot of flow work that could be done to open the ports and make them smooth. But it would cost a fair amount to get it done right. With other modifications, it could be useful, but I am not sure how effective it would be on its own.
@andrew avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Fly 150

Molto Verboso
@andrew avatar
2006 Fly 150
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Orbit wrote:

I have a feeling that the 4-valve air cooled thing is a typo.
Yes, I'm fairly sure it is a typo (haven't taken my Fly apart enough to actually look), but the paper brochures state 2 valves, and the dealer said 2 valves. I sent an e-mail to Piaggio USA about correction their website a month ago but heard nothing back (big surprise).
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0122s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]