OP
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
There's a girl in Cincinnati ... and she had a PK50 that was stolen about 6 months ago.

So, i notice a thread today on a columbus forum that one of the mechanics who had previously worked on it recognized a thread on the BBS where a guy was asking for help with PK50 floor rails. And the guy is out of Kentucky. Now, remember, there's very few PK's in the whole country ... so a guy with the same bike turning up not far from the scene of the crime seems highly suspicious.

Anyways, Josh ( previous mechanic ) verified that the bike INDEED was the one stolen. The new owner posted "before" shots that allowed Josh to recognize it as the stolen bike. I don't know that they've contacted the poor guy that bought it off of the hood rat that stole the thing, but he's going to lose the money and time he's got into that project once the police seize it and give it back to Shannon.

( ignore, for this story, the fact it's a 50cc bike, where there is no title and that the guy really couldn't run the VIN # against state records to see if the vehicle was stolen )

Remember, having a clear title in your hand is a really crucial thing to have before starting work on your project.

http://www.scootcolumbus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=353 <--josh's thread

http://www.mypk50.blogspot.com/ <--- guy who bought the bike's project blog
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
I have been battling with the Iowa DMV to get my P titled.

The shop where I bought the bike suggested International Title Service, but they seemed kind of pricey and I had read there was a long backlog and waiting for them.

A guy I work with has gotten old cars out of barns that need titles. He worked directly with the Iowa DMV to get them titled. This is the route I am taking.

I had to send in a copy of my Bill of Sale and the VIN number. The DMV came back to me with a value they felt my bike was worth ($1000). I then had to go to an insurance agent and get a surety bond for 1.5 times the amount of the value ($1500). This cost me fifty bucks.

The bond is good for 3 years and is held by the state of Iowa. Once the DMV has the bond, they send an inspector to my house to make sure the VIN on the bike matches the number they have on file. If it does, he gives me the paperwork to get a clean, Iowa title and license the bike.

The inspector is crazy busy so I've been waiting about 2 months for him to show up. In the meantime I'm riding around with no plate and a bunch of papers in my glovebox. I never have gotten picked up, if I did I would just play stupid and tell them I'm in the process of getting it licensed. Hopefully that would fly.

Once the bond is in place, the bike is mine. If during the 3 years of the bond someone shows up with proof that I have their bike, they get the value of the bond ($1500) and I get to keep the bike. This way, any money I put into the bike is protected and the previous owner gets 1.5 times the amount.

International Title Service was around $150. With the method my state put forth it only costs me the price of the bond.

The beard continues...
OP
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
Jeremy W wrote:
International Title Service was around $150. With the method my state put forth it only costs me the price of the bond.
Wow. It was only 75 bucks when i used it 5 years ago.

I used it 1 time, until i realized that titling something in michigan was an absolute joke.

I could write a number on my wang with a sharpie and the michigan state government would issue me a title for it so long as the number wasn't in their computers as stolen.
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
Quote:
I could write a number on my wang with a sharpie and the michigan state government would issue me a title for it so long as the number wasn't in their computers as stolen.
Would that be considered a clean title?
OP
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
Jeremy W wrote:
Would that be considered a clean title?
I guess that would depend on how well i loofah'd beforehand.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
Rover Eric wrote:
Wait a second. Didn't you say up above that anything under 50cc was not titled?

Al
OP
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
I'm scared of where this conversation is going. Let's just say that i'm not going to displace 50cc to prove whether it should be titled or not.
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4

Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
UTC quote
titles depend on where you live too. here we need a title for anything with two wheel and a motor that older than 1974, even a 50cc. before that you don't need a title.

my 1965 doesn't have a title, my 1979 p200 does.
@smallstate avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'66 Sears Allstate 788.94370 '65 Vespa V9A1T

Molto Verboso
@smallstate avatar
'66 Sears Allstate 788.94370 '65 Vespa V9A1T
UTC quote
jeremy, what a pain. eric is right, if you have the pazienza to wait one hour (the average wait), and a few dollars you can title anything. i said i paid 100 dollars for my scoot too, so i only paid 6$ in tax.
@provastian avatar
UTC

Hooked
1985 T5 Mk1, 1984 PX200 EFL

Hooked
@provastian avatar
1985 T5 Mk1, 1984 PX200 EFL
UTC quote
Jeremy W wrote:
I have been battling with the Iowa DMV to get my P titled.

The shop where I bought the bike suggested International Title Service, but they seemed kind of pricey and I had read there was a long backlog and waiting for them.

A guy I work with has gotten old cars out of barns that need titles. He worked directly with the Iowa DMV to get them titled. This is the route I am taking.

I had to send in a copy of my Bill of Sale and the VIN number. The DMV came back to me with a value they felt my bike was worth ($1000). I then had to go to an insurance agent and get a surety bond for 1.5 times the amount of the value ($1500). This cost me fifty bucks.

The bond is good for 3 years and is held by the state of Iowa. Once the DMV has the bond, they send an inspector to my house to make sure the VIN on the bike matches the number they have on file. If it does, he gives me the paperwork to get a clean, Iowa title and license the bike.

The inspector is crazy busy so I've been waiting about 2 months for him to show up. In the meantime I'm riding around with no plate and a bunch of papers in my glovebox. I never have gotten picked up, if I did I would just play stupid and tell them I'm in the process of getting it licensed. Hopefully that would fly.

Once the bond is in place, the bike is mine. If during the 3 years of the bond someone shows up with proof that I have their bike, they get the value of the bond ($1500) and I get to keep the bike. This way, any money I put into the bike is protected and the previous owner gets 1.5 times the amount.

The beard continues...
Why such a hassle to title a '79 P range?
@killo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
I have a few scooters....

Ossessionato
@killo avatar
I have a few scooters....
UTC quote
Jeremy W wrote:
International Title Service was around $150.
I titled my Allstate using International Title a couple of months ago for $85. It's a bargain unless you've got LOTS of time to spend dealing with the DMV.
@jeremy_w avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport

Molto Verboso
@jeremy_w avatar
79 P200e, 81 100 Sport
UTC quote
Quote:
Why such a hassle to title a '79 P range?
It really hasn't been a hassle, more just waiting and waiting for the DMV inspector.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0808s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0509s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]