UTC

Hooked
LX 150 Azurro Blue

Hooked
@jul-bar avatar
LX 150 Azurro Blue
UTC quote
Hi All,
After seeing Al Gore's film, "An Inconvenient Truth" (a must-see), I am committing myself to retiring my car as much as possible and buying my first scooter! YEEHAW! I have an E-Bike with a 36 volt battery which helps get me up the hills on the way home, but that doesn't always meet my needs. So, I'm trying out an LX 150 & a GT200. I haven't decided yet. Any & all suggestions are welcome.

I was inspired by SaraStew who, at 5'1" got the GT200. Since I'm 5'1+, I was glad to see it can be done. I'm leaning that direction.

Do any of you LX 150 folk ever feel like you wish you had that extra bit of power? or those of you GT200 riders, do you ever feel like it's just too big or heavy for city commuting? I want to be able to get out & cruise for the day & not feel like I'm running out of steam. Then again, will I feel like the 200 is just too big & clumsy while doing 90% of my time commuting? I take my motorcycle safety class next week. I won't decide until then most likely.
This looks like an awesome site. It's been fun reading all of your comments. People seem very helpful & enthusiastic! Cool!
- Julia
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
First off, Welcome to the site Julia! You are looking at 2 sweet bikes and either would do the job you are describing. I commute on my GT and love it. For me it is a very good fit, but I also do a lot of back country riding, rural roads and such.

I really think buy what Fits you. Have you been to the dealer and tried them out? I would do that first see which one fits you, and go for it. Good luck in your quest, Beale.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
How you feel on the scooter, and you ability to manage the weight, is very important. I have an LX-150 that I largely use for commuting. Even with my 200 lb weight, find that it is perfect for inside the city. I have no trouble managing traffic up to 50 mph (80 kph). It is also smaller, and I have never been bothered by police or parking enforcement when I park it on the sidewalk near bicycles. However, I miss the extra power for the highway. The traffic on the county roads outside of the city travels at highway speed (60 mph/100-110 kph), and I find the LX-150 does not do a good enough job keeping up. Those trips, however, are a very small minority, and I won't "trade up" just for that. However, if I had to buy a new Vespa, I would probably get the GT/GTS, knowing that I can handle the size and weight without any difficulty.

Some of the female members of MV have previously posted better top speed on their LX-150's - it is probably a combination of much less weight and flatter terrain. Nonetheless, if you do more highway driving, or freeway commuting, you would probably be better with a heavier/faster scooter than an LX-150.

Oh, and welcome to MV!
UTC

Enthusiast
gt200

Enthusiast
gt200
UTC quote
First - thanks for the extra inch, but I'm only 5' with 0".

Second - I came from a 250cc motorcycle, so in some ways I moved down to a smaller engine. I say in some ways because I was never truly comfortable on the motorcycle and never had it at speeds at which I've had my GT. I've gotten up to 60mph now. Before I always avoided roads where a higher speed was a requisite for safety. Now, I don't go searching for them, but I no longer avoid them either. Adrenaline is not my cup of tea. I much more enjoy a leisurely scoot.

I tried the LX thinking that it would be fine for me, but it didn't have the power for which I had become accustomed. I, personally, wouldn't have less than the GT around here, Appalachian Mts. I need the extra power to get up hills. I would have gotten the GTS but the extra $1000 didn't seem to be worth the extra horsepower. Being only 115lbs, I didn't think I needed it and thusfar haven't.

Let me know if you have anymore questions! I am a believer in the GT and what we short girls are capable of doing!

Sara
@farsideman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 Vespa GT 200

Molto Verboso
@farsideman avatar
2005 Vespa GT 200
UTC quote
Go for the GT or the GTS. That new baby blue metallic LX-150 sure is pretty, though! I have a GT, and a couple of times, when riding the rural highways or Interstate, I wished for a little extra reserve power. The GT is not clumsy, either, but it is heavier and larger than the LX-150. Also, if you ever carry a passenger, you will like the extra horsepower of a GT or GTS. I think you should ride all of them before deciding.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
There are multiple threads on shaving the seat etc on a GT and SareStew sounds like a great resource for you with regard to height.

I would ask the dealer to let you push the two bikes around the shop a bit. If you have to maneuver the GT around a garage it can be a bit heavy. I have a significant hill in our driveway and even as a 6'3" 220 lb stud-muffin ( Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon ) I have to hunker down to move my GT.

I think everyone above has said it all. If you want/need to go on the highway, you probably want the GT. If it's pretty much all urban commuting, the LX is a pretty darn nice ride.

Side note: yesterday was the first time I went 2 up on a highway (me 220 lbs, my son 170 lbs plus helmets, jackets, top case, mid size windshield etc) and I actually had to throttle back as I found myself going over 60 in some spots. I was proud of my GT, Milena!

And, of course, welcome Julia. This place is like a big friendly bar with a bunch of regulars and a few odd ball people who come in for an occasional drink.
@slim avatar
UTC

2003 Piaggio LT150

@slim avatar
2003 Piaggio LT150
UTC quote
test drive them both, if possible.
@vanslam avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150

Addicted
@vanslam avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Welcome to MV.

I test drove the LX150 and GT200 at my dealer. It made it easier for me to decide on the LX150. I wanted a scooter that was nimble and not too big or expensive (can a Vespa be inexpensive). Its not as fast as the others but it is nimble. Besides the LX150 is a less complicated machine (no water cooling) than the 200 and 250 which was also a reason why I picked the LX150.

I am 5-11 and weigh 150lbs. I ride mostly by myself and I don't get on the major highways with it. I really don't ride it that much everyday mostly on the weekends and for local shopping. For me the 200 and 250 would be overkill although they are really nice scooters. I guess if I were to do more highway riding I would go with the 200 or 250.
@jubei_chan avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@jubei_chan avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
vanslam wrote:
Welcome to MV.

I wanted a scooter that was nimble and not too big or expensive (can a Vespa be inexpensive). Its not as fast as the others but it is nimble. Besides the LX150 is a less complicated machine (no water cooling) than the 200 and 250 which was also a reason why I picked the LX150.
Yep, that's some of the reasons I chose the LX150.

Also, I live and work in downtown Toronto and the LX is great with navigating city traffic.
@zippityjacks avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Thank you Christina -- 2005 ET4 with Flames

Molto Verboso
@zippityjacks avatar
UTC quote
I have the ET4 150 which is similar to the LX150. I bought the 150 because I had never been the driver of a motorcycle before always a passanger. And I decided one day that I wanted to be in charge. ) I was intimidated by the size of the motorcycle, (though I passed the MSF course) but loved the style of the VESPA. The thought of a 250 scared me so I went where I was comfortable.

There are times I regret that I did not go with something faster, if you read through other posts you will find many have, I have even contimplated trading in the ET4 for the GT 250. However, when I test-drove it I found it to be a great machine BUT I did not like the bulkieness of it. The back end is quite larger then on the ET4 (my son has enough of a leg issue riding with me), It was heavier then I was used to, and I had an issue with balancing on my tippie toes. These are just my observations. By the way I am 5'1 1/2 ;o) It is my opinion that if they build an ET4 with a 250 engine that that would be the ultimate bike. Until then,,, I will continue to save for upgrades for the ET4!!

My advice, Try them all out!

Best of luck in your decision and Welcome to a great site!!
@mattbee avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS250ie

@mattbee avatar
Vespa GTS250ie
UTC quote
re:newbie needs help deciding
I recently moved up from a 150cc to the Gts250. I have found that the gts manuvers just as well as the smaller scoots for in-town commuting, plus you get that extra oomph for highway travel. I am 5'6" and can't sit flat footed when at a stop, but after about a day of riding you get used to that and become comfortable with just one foot. I wouldn't give up the new scoot for anything!!!
UTC

Enthusiast
gt200

Enthusiast
gt200
UTC quote
Re: re:newbie needs help deciding
mattbee wrote:
...but after about a day of riding you get used to that and become comfortable with just one foot. I wouldn't give up the new scoot for anything!!!
I think that's a very valid point also. If all you get used to is the GT, then it will seem perfectly natural. I was a little hesitant about the height at first, because I could flat foot on my motorcycle. I'll say I wouldn't trade my GT for any flat-footed ride. To me, the seat height has turned out to be the least bothersome issue. Perhaps because I'm not used to normally being able to reach the ground from any seat...couch, restaurant booth, movie theater seat, etc!Laughing emoticon
You've gotta do whatever makes you comfortable though.
Let us know what you decide.
Sara
@kingbc avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@kingbc avatar
GT200
UTC quote
Based on seat height alone I'd say go for the LX, while the extra power of the GT is nice it isn't necessary unless you're riding on 45mph+ hwys a fair amount of time.
@scooterdoodle avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 Vespa LX150,1978 Lambretta Jet

Hooked
@scooterdoodle avatar
2006 Vespa LX150,1978 Lambretta Jet
UTC quote
Welcome Julia!

I upgraded from a flat footable Honda Met to a tippy toes LX150. I used the Met and now the LX150 to get to work and local errands. The longest distance travelled so far being 15 miles each way.

I live in Michigan where 20+ over the posted speed limit is the norm. So the Met just couldn't cut it. The Vespa fairs much better but I still get passed doing the or a little over the speed limit in all zones 25mph to 45mph.

I don't long for any extra speed/power so the LX150 suits me fine. When and/if I ever get there I probably would go with the 190cc upgrade kit.
@alice avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET4

Molto Verboso
@alice avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Regarding test drives, do dealers actually let you take these scooters out to see what they can do? I was under the impression that you do a circle in the parking lot.
@alice avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET4

Molto Verboso
@alice avatar
ET4
UTC quote
When ya 'all are referring to "highways", do you mean freeways, or any street other than city streets? Are LX150's only suited to city driving?
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
Alice wrote:
When ya 'all are referring to "highways", do you mean freeways, or any street other than city streets? Are LX150's only suited to city driving?
Up here in the Ontario the freeway speeds are at posted 60 mph (100 kph), but typically runs 80 mph (120-130 kph) or higher. Some are that speed while bumper to bumper The provincial and county roads (what I call highways) are posted 50 mph (80 kph), but usually run 60 mph (100 kph). I haven't found any slower highways in my area yet that are paved!
@zippityjacks avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@zippityjacks avatar
UTC quote
harnadem wrote:
Alice wrote:
Up here in the Ontario the freeway speeds are at posted 60 mph (100 kph), but typically runs 80 mph (120-130 kph) or higher. Some are that speed while bumper to bumper The provincial and county roads (what I call highways) are posted 50 mph (80 kph), but usually run 60 mph (100 kph). I haven't found any slower highways in my area yet that are paved!
Here we have "intrastates" speeds posted 55 + 65 people usually do 15-20 above speed limit and "Highways" posted speeds 45-55 usually 10-15 above. I think that is correct. I have taken my ET4 on the intrastate before but I was praying the whole time that I would not get run down. Max Speed-o reading 70 I might have been doing 65 in a 65. Bleh emoticon
OP
@jul-bar avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150 Azurro Blue

Hooked
@jul-bar avatar
LX 150 Azurro Blue
UTC quote
Thanks All!
You guys are great! I'm amazed how responsive people were to my question. I was up to 3 a.m. last night reading and researching from this site. Based on your comments, I'm feeling more confident about the GT200. I appreciate the suggestion to walk it around the dealer's garage... back it up, move it into & out of smaller spaces... Also, the suggestion about wearing bigger-healed boots was helpful. I'll let you know next week what I finally get. I can barely sleep at night thinking about it.

I'm going to post a new question about helmuts, but if you want to respond to this thread, I'll keep checking here. Do you use the smaller Vespa helmut or a full face helmut or one of each?

Julia
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0164s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0054s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]