OP
@benharperfan2 avatar
UTC

Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)

@benharperfan2 avatar
Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)
UTC quote
Forgive if this questions already been asked in another thread, but where can I get some info on changing my own oil? I want top be as independent as possible as far as maintenance goes! Thanks in advance.
@woodenhead avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT60

Molto Verboso
@woodenhead avatar
GT60
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Is this the first 625 mile oil change on a new scooter?
UTC

1979 P200

1979 P200
UTC quote
Go slow, take your time and you will find it is pretty easy. I have changed out my ET4 several times with barely a drop spilled!

Have fun!

HVAC
OP
@benharperfan2 avatar
UTC

Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)

@benharperfan2 avatar
Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
Daring Plum is nice too. I really like Portofino Green as well!!!
OP
@benharperfan2 avatar
UTC

Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)

@benharperfan2 avatar
Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)
UTC quote
SD HVAC Girl wrote:
Go slow, take your time and you will find it is pretty easy. I have changed out my ET4 several times with barely a drop spilled!

Have fun!

HVAC
Thanks for the tip. If I ever move someplace like where you live with the perfect weather in San Diego, we should meet up for a ride! I can't wait to be West Coast!!
8)
@cary_alburn avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@cary_alburn avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I suggest that if it's the first oil change on a new scooter, don't do it yourself. There are other things that a dealer should be checking out at the time of the first service, and the oil change is a small part of that.

Cary
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
benharperfan2 wrote:
NightWing wrote:
You didn't answer my question.
OP
@benharperfan2 avatar
UTC

Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)

@benharperfan2 avatar
Vespa ET4 (Dragon Red)
UTC quote
NightWing wrote:
benharperfan2 wrote:
NightWing wrote:
Oh no sorry. I was just inquiring. The scooter only has 200 some odd miles! Are you suppose to change it every 625 miles?? I'm a total newbie man!
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
benharperfan2 wrote:
NightWing wrote:
benharperfan2 wrote:
NightWing wrote:
Oh no sorry. I was just inquiring. The scooter only has 200 some odd miles! Are you suppose to change it every 625 miles?? I'm a total newbie man!
If your scooter is brand new, it requires an initial 625 mile service which is fairly involved and somewhat costly, around $150. I would recommend you have the dealer perform that service just to make sure the warranty isn't compromised.
Read the literature that came with your scooter and you will have a better idea of what is involved with care and operation.
@jcwhitney avatar
UTC

Hooked
Lambretta SX, Stella, Honda

Hooked
@jcwhitney avatar
Lambretta SX, Stella, Honda
UTC quote
Recently changed oil on a Vespa LX150 and am less than impressed with Piaggio engineering. Here's why...
It's ok that the drain bolt is an oddball size so you have to go buy another wrench, it's not ok to wrap the center stand in plastic bags and have to carefully deploy it in the middle of the waste oil drain pan, once you have it carefully wrapped it in plastic bags. It's also not ok to drain oil all over those plastic bags, but you really have no option. What was Vespa thinking? What a gooey mess! When the job is done you have to dance the Macarena with the Scooter to get it off the stand without bumping the waste oil drain pan with the back tire coupled with the additional problem of flinging oil all over with the center stand when it retracts, plus you now have two oily bags that are wrapped over the center stand legs and they must come off before you lower the Scooter off the stand. So now you have this pan of dirty oil with 2 plastic bags in it, but the Scooter still has to be lowered off the stand to remove the pan.
It's sort of ok to have to use a Chan-nel-lock pliers to remove the oil filter, or you can buy a special tool to accomplish the same thing.
This is a finely crafted, expensive Italian Scooter, Chan-nel-lock pliers are generally reserved for plumbing projects.
It's ok the oil filter is a full flow design, awfully pricy and limited local availability though.
It's ok the brand of high quality oil used in the Vespa LX150, awfully pricy and limited local availability; apparently there are alternatives not specifically endorsed by Vespa. I would roll the dice on that.
The design of the Vespa LX150 with respect to simple procedures like changing oil leaves much to be desired.
Many aspects of the archived Vespa LX150 oil change youtube video were very helpful with the job, with the exception of using a hammer to pound the oil drain plug loose. Not a good idea!
Someone please tell me the Vespa GT and GTS are of a different design.
@paul_g avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250ie

Ossessionato
@paul_g avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
j.c.whitney wrote:
Recently changed oil on a Vespa LX150 and am less than impressed with Piaggio engineering. Here's why...
It's ok that the drain bolt is an oddball size so you have to go buy another wrench
Not Piaggio's fault you don't have a tool. It is definitely not an "oddball" size.
j.c.whitney wrote:
it's not ok to wrap the center stand in plastic bags and have to carefully deploy it in the middle of the waste oil drain pan, once you have it carefully wrapped it in plastic bags. It's also not ok to drain oil all over those plastic bags, but you really have no option. What was Vespa thinking? What a gooey mess! When the job is done you have to dance the Macarena with the Scooter to get it off the stand without bumping the waste oil drain pan with the back tire coupled with the additional problem of flinging oil all over with the center stand when it retracts, plus you now have two oily bags that are wrapped over the center stand legs and they must come off before you lower the Scooter off the stand. So now you have this pan of dirty oil with 2 plastic bags in it, but the Scooter still has to be lowered off the stand to remove the pan.
You're right on that one. I have and use the sidestand on my bike. I drain almost all the oil, then sit on the bike and straighten it out to get the rest. Takes a few minutes and is easy as cupcake.
j.c.whitney wrote:
It's sort of ok to have to use a Chan-nel-lock pliers to remove the oil filter, or you can buy a special tool to accomplish the same thing.
This is a finely crafted, expensive Italian Scooter, Chan-nel-lock pliers are generally reserved for plumbing projects.
A large allen wrench it the slot works well. Piaggio does feel your pain and newer filters come with a hex head.

j.c.whitney wrote:
It's ok the oil filter is a full flow design, awfully pricy and limited local availability though.
The cost of manufactured goods is inversely proportional to the volume of production. Buy an oil filter for a BMW motorcycle and let me know what you think.

j.c.whitney wrote:
It's ok the brand of high quality oil used in the Vespa LX150, awfully pricy and limited local availability; apparently there are alternatives not specifically endorsed by Vespa. I would roll the dice on that.
If you were a manufacturer, would you give up control on consumables? That being said, you may use any brand of oil as long as it meets the standards set by Piaggio. I can get Spectro Platinum 5W40 locally at cycle shops and Piaggio could not possibly deny a warranty claim because the oil meets the standards defined in the manual.
j.c.whitney wrote:
The design of the Vespa LX150 with respect to simple procedures like changing oil leaves much to be desired.
No better or worse than most modern bikes or cars for that matter, (I have to remove a plate to get to the drain bolt of my Subie). To tell you the truth, I change the oil in 20 minutes, no muss, no fuss
j.c.whitney wrote:
Nope.

P.
@paul_g avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250ie

Ossessionato
@paul_g avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
One more thing about the centerstand interference--personally I would take some scissors, wire and a gallon milk jug and fabricate a hanging chute so I could place a drain pan behind and to the side of the stand.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, and would be much cleaner, neater and more environmentally friendly than wrapping the stand in garbage bags.

P.
UTC

Hooked
09 GTS 250

Hooked
09 GTS 250
UTC quote
Paul G. wrote:
One more thing about the centerstand interference--personally I would take some scissors, wire and a gallon milk jug and fabricate a hanging chute so I could place a drain pan behind and to the side of the stand.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, and would be much cleaner, neater and more environmentally friendly than wrapping the stand in garbage bags.

P.
I need a snorkel, avocado, and some aluminum foil... Hurry up bro ive made bongs with less!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@super-fly avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS300ie

Molto Verboso
@super-fly avatar
Vespa GTS300ie
UTC quote
I use an oil pump to remove the oil from the dipstick hole , I suck out / change the oil every 3000km intervals on my fly 125 , I undo the sump nut and clean gauze and replace oil filter at 6000km intervals .
with the oil removed only a tiny amount comes out of plug and filter ,so a beaker of some sort is placed below to catch oil

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC quote
j.c.whitney wrote:
It's ok that the drain bolt is an oddball size so you have to go buy another wrench, it's not ok to wrap the center stand in plastic bags and have to carefully deploy it in the middle of the waste oil drain pan, once you have it carefully wrapped it in plastic bags. It's also not ok to drain oil all over those plastic bags, but you really have no option. What was Vespa thinking? What a gooey mess! When the job is done you have to dance the Macarena with the Scooter to get it off the stand without bumping the waste oil drain pan with the back tire coupled with the additional problem of flinging oil all over with the center stand when it retracts, plus you now have two oily bags that are wrapped over the center stand legs and they must come off before you lower the Scooter off the stand. So now you have this pan of dirty oil with 2 plastic bags in it, but the Scooter still has to be lowered off the stand to remove the pan.
Many aspects of the archived Vespa LX150 oil change youtube video were very helpful with the job, with the exception of using a hammer to pound the oil drain plug loose. Not a good idea!
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. But so much easier if you get and use a side stand to drain the oil. Or do what the dealers do and get a motorcycle stand which has a clamp that holds the front wheel. Then it's really a breeze!

As for undoing the filter, I found a nifty oil filter wrench at the local Kragens Autosupply. It is a "strap wrench" -- it has a piece of seatbelt-webbing attached to a square iron "tube" that fits on the end of a 1/2-inch drive socket wrench. Slip the webbing around the filter, wrap it around the iron tube until it's tight, then just one turn and it comes loose, easy to off by hand. Beauty!

I've found 5W40 synthetic motorcycle oil for mailorder at $10.00 a litre, and you can get after-market filters from Scooterworks for around $9.00 I think. At least the LX and the GT/Granturismo's use the same size filter...

-Dan
@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
dchernikoff wrote:
j.c.whitney wrote:
Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. But so much easier if you get and use a side stand to drain the oil. Or do what the dealers do and get a motorcycle stand which has a clamp that holds the front wheel. Then it's really a breeze!

As for undoing the filter, I found a nifty oil filter wrench at the local Kragens Autosupply. It is a "strap wrench" -- it has a piece of seatbelt-webbing attached to a square iron "tube" that fits on the end of a 1/2-inch drive socket wrench. Slip the webbing around the filter, wrap it around the iron tube until it's tight, then just one turn and it comes loose, easy to off by hand. Beauty!

I've found 5W40 synthetic motorcycle oil for mailorder at $10.00 a litre, and you can get after-market filters from Scooterworks for around $9.00 I think. At least the LX and the GT/Granturismo's use the same size filter...

-Dan
Your local autoparts store (autozone, oreillys, napa, etc) have the 5w40 oil you need. The oil only has to have the API SJ rating. Go into the oil section and look for 5w40 for turbo diesel or foreign cars. This oil meets the API SJ rating for foreign cars, AUDI, VW, Volvo and the like.

I have been using the Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck synthetic for years now with no problem at all. Extended time full throttle on highway even in 100º weather and my scoot has never burned ANY oil. Always full and the oil looks good after 2500 miles.

On the Mobile 1 bottle the API SJ rating is listed under the gasoline motors section.

Just flip the bottle around to the back side, look on the label to see what classifications it meets or exceeds, if it has SJ listed, which it should, buy it and be happy.
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC quote
imwithhappy wrote:
Your local autoparts store (autozone, oreillys, napa, etc) have the 5w40 oil you need. The oil only has to have the API SJ rating. Go into the oil section and look for 5w40 for turbo diesel or foreign cars. This oil meets the API SJ rating for foreign cars, AUDI, VW, Volvo and the like.

I have been using the Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck synthetic for years now with no problem at all. Extended time full throttle on highway even in 100º weather and my scoot has never burned ANY oil. Always full and the oil looks good after 2500 miles.

On the Mobile 1 bottle the API SJ rating is listed under the gasoline motors section.

Just flip the bottle around to the back side, look on the label to see what classifications it meets or exceeds, if it has SJ listed, which it should, buy it and be happy.
I have looked at all the autoparts stores and all the motorcycle shops withing 20 miles of my house, and NONE of them have 5W40 oil of any type. I don't know why. Even the local Vespa dealer doesn't stock 5w40 -- they use 15W40 in their Vespas for some reason.

Actually I take that back, I did see one single bottle of Motul 5W40 at CycleWorld in Santa Clara, but when I went back the next time to get it they were sold out.

Very strange that stores around here have just about every other kind of oil -- 5W20, 5W30, 10W20, 10W30, 10W40, you name it, just not 5W40.

-Dan
@imwithhappy avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200(black graphite)

Addicted
@imwithhappy avatar
06 GT200(black graphite)
UTC quote
dchernikoff wrote:
imwithhappy wrote:

I have looked at all the autoparts stores and all the motorcycle shops withing 20 miles of my house, and NONE of them have 5W40 oil of any type. I don't know why. Even the local Vespa dealer doesn't stock 5w40 -- they use 15W40 in their Vespas for some reason.

Actually I take that back, I did see one single bottle of Motul 5W40 at CycleWorld in Santa Clara, but when I went back the next time to get it they were sold out.

Very strange that stores around here have just about every other kind of oil -- 5W20, 5W30, 10W20, 10W30, 10W40, you name it, just not 5W40.

-Dan
strange indeed. I guess there are a few more turbo diesel trucks here in Oklahoma? Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0415s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0205s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]