@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Ok so as most of you know I took the scoot in for the 6000 mile service. I went yesterday to pick it up. I got a real eyeopener, and an experience.

Remember a couple of weeks ago I asked about a soft rear brake, and brake fluid? I also asked around at work. The situtation was that my rear brake would at times go soft on me, ie: very easy to pull all the way in.
I told my dealer, he thought it might me air in the line.

After 2 tries at bleeding the brakes, and no improvement the service tech did some digging. A few months ago I had a local independent change my rear tire for me. What the dealer found was and i quote. " The rear brake wheel was loose in the swing arm, Allowing the rotar to wobble. This caused the the handbrake to grip intermittently. We disassembled the back end and found the spacers were installed incorrect, and the rear fastening nut was finger tight!

Man that really scared me. I had been ridding around on a wobbling tire/rim, with a loose fastening nut! This was a good catch by dealer and I really thank them.

So then I get on the bike to ride home. Get 20 miles out of town crusing along "in very busy traffic" , and all of suddon NO POWER . I scan ahead and see an old abondened store, I coasted in to the lot. I tried starting no go. Check under the pet carrier, found sparkplug wire hanging free. The cap from the plug is missinng and the boot will no longer stay on???? I call dealer on my cell, he sends service guy out (he brings no tools?). We put the scooter on the rack on the truck, and back into town we go. We get to the store, and tech guy says to me, you have "an aftermarket" sparkpulg on here, where is the cap? What the #@ I say, did you not replace it at the service. He says no because the plug looked ok? Heck I am getting a big doller service put a new plug on man!!

So 25 minutes later New plug and cap I get back on bike to finally head home. Got home last night at 9:00 very tired and pissed.

I called the dealer today and let him know I got home ok "the second try". I also let him know I was pissed. I told him in the future to please install a new plug at my services. He did say he was sorry, the tech guy should have done that but did not.

Oh yea for oil change, rear lube change, adjusting valves and checking, but not changing belt or rollers and to fix rear tire issue. My total was $215.00.

Oh I did get a free plug, and cap outta the deal. He said the belt and rollers look good fo at least another 3-4000 miles. I hope!

All in all a Very long and tiring day, Beale.
@tikka avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794

Ossessionato
@tikka avatar
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
UTC quote
Wow ... That was a close call Beale. I guess you will not be using your local independent anymore? Glad you have every sorted now.

Amazing ... your belt and rollers are doing great!!
@quixotic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 250

Enthusiast
@quixotic avatar
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
another "finger tight" story
All of a sudden, my wife's brand new GTS won't go. Like the throttle's broken. Checked underneath and the cable attachment nut on the fuel injector bracket had completely loosened, made its way to the fuel injector actuator and jammed the thing. The assembler must've forgotten to tighten the nuts.

Oh well, at least easy access to the engine allowed a quick fix.
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Thanks Tikka, no I will not be using the independent again, Beale.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
wow, that sucks.

i'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the rear wheel fiasco. i understand if the five attaching cap screws aren't tight then you might get some play, but enough to limit the ability of the brake caliper? i don't know... also, i fully understand that the shaft nut could be loose, but i don't think it would have anything to do with the braking system.

at anyrate, i think any of that being out of whack would've made a terrific amount noise and probably wobbled...

anyhoo, on the spark plug-- the manual calls for cleaning/checking at 2K with a replacement at 4K and then a cleaning/checking again at 6K. the tech was probably just doing it by the book. i know that the champion plugs will go 4~6K without any problems, however if you had an NGK in there it was probably already fouled.

but yeah, i understand your frustration.

best,
-greasy
@jul-bar avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX 150 Azurro Blue

Hooked
@jul-bar avatar
LX 150 Azurro Blue
UTC quote
That's really unsettling, Beale. You do everything to protect yourself, and then to have to wonder whether your mechanic is on the ball that day... Are you scouting out a new mechanic? I'd want to take it to another mechanic to make sure there isn't a sponge or screwdriver left in there.

I think I'll get better acquainted with my mechanic before I need him... maybe bring some chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps it's harder to be negligent if we're actually acquainted.

Do others have procedures / checklists when they go to a mechanic?

My romanticized vision of scootering is being crushed somewhat; clearly it's not all fun and games. There have been a number of sobering posts lately. Actually, that's a good thing to learn - in detail. I've gotten a good education here. It's comforting to know that you're not entirely alone.

Best wishes, Beale
@paul_blknblu avatar
UTC

Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS

Addicted
@paul_blknblu avatar
'2017 GTS 300 SS
UTC quote
Beale, sorry to hear about your grief. Re "the soft brake". I had a similar-ish problem with my rear brake where I though it wasn't engaging as strong as the front one - well, actually it was hardly stopping me and caused some concern
My dealer told me to use gaffa tape and overnight strap the brake to the handle grip as tight as could be. In the morning it was sorted. Rear brake was fine - mine must have been because of the air bubbles.
Useful tip people - but I always strongly recommend that if you have issues with any brakes - get it sorted pronto!! [/i]
OP
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
UTC quote
Thanks folks. I have been away for the weekend and haven't been able to post.

I will not be using the independent guy again, or at least for a while. If I do use him I will make sure he has the manuals.

I have also been thinking about this whole issue. I really am not sure what happened with the wheel. I have to base what I know on thw written report and my talk with the dealer. The dealer has a new tech, and a new store manager. These two people were the ones looking at my scooter. The owner/dealer is now gonna concentrate on "running" the store. Less hands on so to speak. I will have to see how all this unfolds and may be trying the BMW/Triumph/Vespa place. It is closer at least. Should be an interesting next service, Beale.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Beale, good luck-- whew! Hope the new dealer/mechanic work out to your satisfaction.

--Deborah
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0155s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0066s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]