UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
Hello.
I've been lurking for a couple of days, but this is my first post in the forum, so I thought I should introduce myself and say hello to everyone.
Not only am I new to the forum, but I'm a complete newb when it comes to scooters. I got myself a vespa S125 a month ago and I just got my driving license (icelandic class A1 license for anything under 125cc's) two days ago. The feeling of driving my vespa is unlike anything I've ever experienced, and I'm completely hooked even though I've had my share of frightening experiences in the last couple of days. Despite being 29 years old, this is my first driving license ever.

So...Hello Modern Vespa forum You seem like a nice bunch of people.
@sloscooter avatar
UTC

Hooked
'07 LX 150

Hooked
@sloscooter avatar
'07 LX 150
UTC quote
Welcome!

You'll find the more you ride the more comfortable you'll become. The more comfortable you are the more fun you'll have. You find yourself finding reasons or even excuses to take the Vespa out!

Cheers from California,

Rob
@still_shifting avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Chetak

Ossessionato
@still_shifting avatar
Chetak
UTC quote
Enjoy the wind in your face... and look forward to spring. And Welcome! R
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
SloScooter wrote:
Welcome!

You'll find the more you ride the more comfortable you'll become. The more comfortable you are the more fun you'll have. You find yourself finding reasons or even excuses to take the Vespa out!

Cheers from California,

Rob
Thank you.

I've been riding to and from work over the weekend, which is a short drive...About 5 km's. The weather has been awful, but due to my odd hours at work, there's been little or no trafficon the roads. All my rides have been been in the dark, with rain, wind or fog...And then tonight: All of the above. I think it may have been a bit much for me, as I am a beginner and I wouldn't know how to react in some situations. I can't wait for the summer!
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
do you guys still have any money left or are you trading pinecones?

just wondering so i can plan ahead for january.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
chad wrote:

Not trading pinecones...yet.

We're still using scraps of paper and the little metal discs with pictures of fish on them. But for how long?
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
Varaflame wrote:
chad wrote:

We're still using scraps of paper and the little metal discs with pictures of fish on them. But for how long?
that totally sucks for you guys. i have a friend who's sister-in-law is an architect there. her whole office got fired last week.
@rae avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
04 Granturismo- boy thats fun to say

Molto Verboso
@rae avatar
04 Granturismo- boy thats fun to say
UTC quote
hello- welcome to the forum.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
chad wrote:
Varaflame wrote:
chad wrote:

that totally sucks for you guys. i have a friend who's sister-in-law is an architect there. her whole office got fired last week.
I'm sorry to hear that. What is happening is scary. But there is still some hope for things to get better...If not, we can expect crazy stuff like 50% unemployment in some areas and the health care system collapsing.

The only positive aspect I can see in all of this: Perhaps there will be fewer of those monstrous 3 meter tall 4x4 jeeps trying to run me over while I'm out riding my vespa next summer.
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
UTC quote
Less 4x4 SUV's, more Vespas...more Vespa mechanics..well there's some employment. So what's the scooter life like there? How many gallons of gas would it take to circimnavigate Iceland?
Post some scootering pictures of Iceland
@funkymartyn avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS , 300CC, Touring.

Addicted
@funkymartyn avatar
Vespa GTS , 300CC, Touring.
UTC quote
hi welcome to the site.. post a photo when you can...mart
@progetto_300 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300 SUPER

Molto Verboso
@progetto_300 avatar
2010 GTS 300 SUPER
UTC quote
Hi! Welcome to MVF!

Iceland....sound very cold...
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
Hi there from Canada! Welcome to Modern Vespa. Have a look around, get comfortable, pull up a seat and forget about the turmoil around you and enjoy yourself here.
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v
UTC quote
Welcome! I love your beautiful country (and all the delicious fish). I was there in '96.
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
welcome! i know there is at least one other MV member from iceland.

he's posted some very nice photos here...
Vespa GTV in Reykjavik

and last we heard, was planning on opening a vespa dealership in Reykjavik:
Just saying hi from an island in the north Atlantic (Newbie)
@scoot_in_va avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio Fly 50: "L'Escargot Rouge" (the red snail)

Addicted
@scoot_in_va avatar
Piaggio Fly 50: "L'Escargot Rouge" (the red snail)
UTC quote
Hi Varaflame! I can appreciate what you are putting up with in Iceland as I lived there for 2 1/2 years back in the '90's (you can probably guess where).

This is really the wrong time of year to be riding a scooter I would think as I can only imagine what it must be like riding in those winds. 60-70 mph winds in Iceland is the equivalent of a gentle breeze just about anywhere else!

I have to say I loved my time there and traveled around a lot of the country. It is beyond doubt one of the most beautiful countries in the world inhabited by the friendliest people in the world and I would have happily stayed there for another couple of years if I could have. I have many photographs of Iceland on my walls at home. Take care riding in these long dark days, and stay away from the Brennivín while you're riding!
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
genie wrote:
welcome! i know there is at least one other MV member from iceland.

he's posted some very nice photos here...
Vespa GTV in Reykjavik

and last we heard, was planning on opening a vespa dealership in Reykjavik:
Just saying hi from an island in the north Atlantic (Newbie)
Thank you.

I recognize that vespa! He did open a dealership...He sold one to me!
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
scoot_in_VA wrote:
Hi Varaflame! I can appreciate what you are putting up with in Iceland as I lived there for 2 1/2 years back in the '90's (you can probably guess where).

This is really the wrong time of year to be riding a scooter I would think as I can only imagine what it must be like riding in those winds. 60-70 mph winds in Iceland is the equivalent of a gentle breeze just about anywhere else!

I have to say I loved my time there and traveled around a lot of the country. It is beyond doubt one of the most beautiful countries in the world inhabited by the friendliest people in the world and I would have happily stayed there for another couple of years if I could have. I have many photographs of Iceland on my walls at home. Take care riding in these long dark days, and stay away from the Brennivín while you're riding!
I'm guessing you stayed in Reykjavik with 50% of the population I'm glad to hear you liked it here. I will travel into the countryside on my vespa come summer and then I hope I'll have some fun pictures to post. It is a nice place to live, but the weather can be difficult for riding. Last night on my way home from work it was raining a bit, but when I was about half way home, it got windy. That was an...interesting ride. Quite scary when you're making a regular turn on the road and all of a sudden you're not sure if you'll make the turn because the wind keeps pushing you sideways. But I got home safe and a bit shaken, as I am still a very inexperienced rider. I can't wait for better weather. Though, my driving instructor told me that a guy he knows get's nailed tires in the winter time and rides to work all winter. Maybe it's worth checking out?
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
osteopath wrote:
Less 4x4 SUV's, more Vespas...more Vespa mechanics..well there's some employment. So what's the scooter life like there? How many gallons of gas would it take to circimnavigate Iceland?
Post some scootering pictures of Iceland
Hello

I hope we will see more vespas on the road soon. Scooters are not a common sight in reykjavik, but you do see them every once in a while. Usually people ride Vento's, honda's and such around here. Now that the dealership has opened, you see vespa's occasionally, usually in the downtown area.

After the summer, I hope I can tell you how much gas will take to circumnavigate the island. Actually, that was one of the reasons I got a vespa, the thought of traveling through the countryside, particularly the east, appeals to me.

I'll post pictures as soon as I've got something more interesting to photograph than darkness and rain
@huskyteer avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@huskyteer avatar
Honda NC700D Integra
UTC quote
Welcome! and yes, please show us pictures
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Temporarily Scooterless... :(

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
Varaflame wrote:
I can't wait for better weather. Though, my driving instructor told me that a guy he knows get's nailed tires in the winter time and rides to work all winter. Maybe it's worth checking out?
Someone from Norway (I think) has posted about using studded tires in bad weather on his modern Vespa scooter. I have absolutely no idea if they are available in the US or Canada, but would think that some of our Northern European members could steer you in the direction of getting some. Sounds like they could be really useful for your winter riding conditions...

Best wishes,

Desi B.
@pat avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"

Hooked
@pat avatar
GT200 "the blue hybiscus", BV350 "green giant"
UTC quote
Welcome Varaflame.
Congrats on the license and new scoot. It sounds like you have a variety of weather there. Very brave of you to be so new and ride in it. I live in California and am a fair weather rider but have ridden in the wind and it can be challenging.
Enjoy!
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
[quote="Varaflame]
I'll post pictures as soon as I've got something more interesting to photograph than darkness and rain [/quote]

Hello Varaflame

PLEASE post pictures of darkness and rain, I for one like that kind of thing, I have a few Norwegian students who keep inviting me to Norway just so I can take photos in the dark, rain, snow etc. I cant wait to get there.

Photos Please.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
primordialdancer wrote:
Varaflame wrote:
I can't wait for better weather. Though, my driving instructor told me that a guy he knows get's nailed tires in the winter time and rides to work all winter. Maybe it's worth checking out?
Someone from Norway (I think) has posted about using studded tires in bad weather on his modern Vespa scooter. I have absolutely no idea if they are available in the US or Canada, but would think that some of our Northern European members could steer you in the direction of getting some. Sounds like they could be really useful for your winter riding conditions...

Best wishes,

Desi B.
In Iceland you can bring in regular car tires to the mechanic and they'll put the nails/studs in for you. So I was thinking of just getting regular tires and then have them put the studs in. I'll make some calls in the next few days and ask around. If this works, I'll be able to ride my vespa almost every day of the year!
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@primordialdancer avatar
UTC quote
That's cool that you can have that done - I'm glad I don't have to worry about it here...

Best,

Desi B.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
Pat wrote:
Welcome Varaflame.
Congrats on the license and new scoot. It sounds like you have a variety of weather there. Very brave of you to be so new and ride in it. I live in California and am a fair weather rider but have ridden in the wind and it can be challenging.
Enjoy!
Thank you
It's not so much a question of bravery, but more to do with my impatience. Now that I finally have my vespa and my license, I just can't stand having it around and not riding it. But I'm trying to be careful. I allready took a fall when doing a stopping exercise with my driving instructor, my tires locked up and my bike went flying. I scraped my knees a bit and scratched the edges of my floorboard a little...But I did learn to be careful.
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
UTC quote
That would be so cool to have those tires with nails in it then ride up to a bunch of Harleys and show them how Tough we are! "Did you see that deer at the side of the road? Yeah, that was me!"
@boondocks avatar
UTC

Hooked
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)

Hooked
@boondocks avatar
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)
UTC quote
Hello. almost went to your country but wound up in Denmark and northwest Ireland instead. Such is life. Lots of blondes on bicycles anyway. Does Iceland celebrate Midsummer's Eve like in Denmark?

Pretty wild. June 23rd or thereabouts. Daylight until at least 10PM. Big crowd, burning the Witch of Winter or whatever it was on a huge bonfire. Even had a couple of scoots there, among the bicycles. Good picture taking when you get low sun in the sky for HOURS.

You said you're a newbie, so I'll just tell you to ride "safe" in winter. I don't know if the studded idea works or not, just don't put yourself in a position where you have to test it out the hard way. A little patch of ice can do lots of damage, respect is due whatever the equipment. So be safe, however you reckon that to be. End of sermon.
@wibbo avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX200E

Hooked
@wibbo avatar
PX200E
UTC quote
www.emscooters.se in sweden sell studded scooter tires
I would not recomend studding a regular tire as the rubber compound is too soft and the studs will flex too much and fall out

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@nicolai avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250 i.e

Hooked
@nicolai avatar
GTS 250 i.e
@tazio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up

Addicted
@tazio avatar
2007 Vespa GTS250ie 2007 Buddy 125 Series Italia 2012 Ural Gear-Up
UTC quote
How about a scooter rally in Iceland during the summer? I've always wanted to do a tour of saga sites.
@g_bowman avatar
UTC

Hooked
only a memory 08 Midnight Blue GTS 250, Suzuki Burgman, 400Burgman 650.

Hooked
@g_bowman avatar
only a memory 08 Midnight Blue GTS 250, Suzuki Burgman, 400Burgman 650.
UTC quote
I guess I have to quit grousing about how cold it is.

Welcome to the forum!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
My good friend Jef, a French rider, rode all around Iceland this summer - he is an enthusiastic photographer.

Go to 'Voyages', and choose the top one, Iceland then starts at the 18th June - but if you want to lose a day or two read the whole lot.

http://www.allersretours.com/
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
My good friend Jef, a French rider, rode all around Iceland this summer - he is an enthusiastic photographer.

Go to 'Voyages', and choose the top one, Iceland then starts at the 18th June - but if you want to lose a day or two read the whole lot.

http://www.allersretours.com/
Ah, it seems he's gone very thoroughly through the northeast part of iceland. The area is beautiful. I worked at a hotel near myvatn one summer, and it's great fun to travel through the area. The photos are good. Looking at them makes me want to travel there again.
In 2005 I went a half-circle round iceland walking and hitchiking via the eastern road below the glacier and stopped at the point just south of where your friends trip begins before heading back. It was all great fun. I can imagine that traveling on a scooter in the southeast part of iceland would be incredible fun because (most of) the roads are paved and the area is so isolated that there is very little traffic. I had some difficulties for a day or two on my trip there because I wasn't getting any rides. Not because people wouldn't pick up a hitchiker...But simply because there weren't any cars passing.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
Wibbo wrote:
www.emscooters.se in sweden sell studded scooter tires
I would not recomend studding a regular tire as the rubber compound is too soft and the studs will flex too much and fall out

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
Thanks Wibbo and Nicolai.
I'll have a look at these!
@theoldsquid avatar
UTC

Hooked
250gts ie

Hooked
@theoldsquid avatar
250gts ie
UTC quote
Welcome to the club. I'm enjoying my new Vespa after a hiatus of 43 years from my last Vespa (GS160) The automatic takes a little getting used too compared to a hand clutch. Watch yourself on ice and snow if you ride this winter. I've found my 250GTS ie a bit too willing to spin the rear tire on slippery leaves. I have multiple motorcycles and a couple 100Kmiles over the years so nothing I couldn't handle yet but I can see a newbie getting caught by surprise by that. You might want to practice spinning the rear tire on wet grass to get used to it. It the scoot gets away, little harm done.
Enjoy the magic carpet
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
TheOldSquid wrote:
Welcome to the club. I'm enjoying my new Vespa after a hiatus of 43 years from my last Vespa (GS160) The automatic takes a little getting used too compared to a hand clutch. Watch yourself on ice and snow if you ride this winter. I've found my 250GTS ie a bit too willing to spin the rear tire on slippery leaves. I have multiple motorcycles and a couple 100Kmiles over the years so nothing I couldn't handle yet but I can see a newbie getting caught by surprise by that. You might want to practice spinning the rear tire on wet grass to get used to it. It the scoot gets away, little harm done.
Enjoy the magic carpet
Thank you.

I will watch out on the ice and snow. I've allready encountered a bit of ice. I went to work this morning and it didn't look like there was any ice on the roads. But when I was halfway there I hit a bit of "invisible" ice. I almost fell over, but managed to stay upright.
I'm gaining confidence little by little. But in total I've only traveled 200 km on my new vespa, that's 125 miles...And that includes the lessons I took and everything. I'm finding that as I'm driving more, I'm enjoying it more and more. I sure hope we'll have a mild winter
@pastortim100 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Red '05 Stella

Hooked
@pastortim100 avatar
Red '05 Stella
UTC quote
Välkommen till MV!

Hope you have some money left after the banking disaster. Been to Keflavik a couple times. Beautiful! And my wife / I love our matching Icewool jackets and the blanket we've bought there!

Thanks to you others for the studded scooter tire suggestion. Very tempting, even here in Michigan. It seems global cooling has begun. (For both sides see http://climatedebatedaily.com/ Found this thanks to Salon.com) Our local weathermen are predicting an earlier and harder winter here in Michigan.
OP
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
pastortim100 wrote:
Välkommen till MV!

Hope you have some money left after the banking disaster. Been to Keflavik a couple times. Beautiful! And my wife / I love our matching Icewool jackets and the blanket we've bought there!

Thanks to you others for the studded scooter tire suggestion. Very tempting, even here in Michigan. It seems global cooling has begun. (For both sides see http://climatedebatedaily.com/ Found this thanks to Salon.com) Our local weathermen are predicting an earlier and harder winter here in Michigan.
Thank you.

I'm still ok for now...But only due to the fact that I'm one of the very few icelanders who didn't owe much money and lived a rather modest lifestyle before this mess began. If the worst predictions come true and this place turns into some sort of a gulag-like hellhole, then I'll put my vespa and my things on a ferry and start all over again some place else.
If I stay though, I'll get myself some studded winter tires
@vespasfw3 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.

Ossessionato
@vespasfw3 avatar
2006 Vespa GTS250ie, 2004 Vespa ET4, 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan, 2001 Kawasaki W650, 2023 Honda Trail 125.
UTC quote
Welcome to Modern Vespa, the place to find an answer or support for all things Vespa.

Iceland, a place my wife and I both talk about visiting someday. And from the pictures I've seen a magnificent place to ride a scooter. For me at least.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0254s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0069s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]