OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hey Y'all,

While I would love to ride my Vespa from the Midwest to Oregon, or at the very least trailer it, both are not options for me as I prepare to trek across the country for a new job.

Has anyone experienced what a professional mover does with a scoot and/or a motorcycle? Am I better off shipping it and having it packed at my dealer?

I'm afraid they just throw it on the moving truck and that is a super scary proposition considering it's gonna change trucks a few times...

Thoughts?
@megnez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1979 p200e

Molto Verboso
@megnez avatar
1979 p200e
UTC quote
Re: Moving across country...any experience with the movers?
centeredstance wrote:
Hey Y'all,

While I would love to ride my Vespa from the Midwest to Oregon, or at the very least trailer it, both are not options for me as I prepare to trek across the country for a new job.

Has anyone experienced what a professional mover does with a scoot and/or a motorcycle? Am I better off shipping it and having it packed at my dealer?

I'm afraid they just throw it on the moving truck and that is a super scary proposition considering it's gonna change trucks a few times...

Thoughts?
Although I've never done this, I don't think I would trust non scooterist/motorcyclist to move my scooter from truck to truck. If it was one truck moving the entire way, maybe, as you would be there to supervise the loading/unloading. Do they even know how to load and secure a bike for transport?
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Numerous moves during my military career. The movers never scratched my VNB. Allied Van lines moved our Yesterday and Derbi from Seattle to Greece with our other stuff. Not a single problem.

Al
@scooterrep avatar
UTC

@scooterrep avatar
UTC quote
Crating, shipping and uncrating add a big expense. Call several moving companies, they are insured and several of them have experience w/ bikes and scooters. They are the easiest and most cost eficent. If there is no rush, they can usually find room in a truck going where you want.
@still_shifting avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Chetak

Ossessionato
@still_shifting avatar
Chetak
UTC quote
I was ten years with Allied. You can do way worse...Get pictures, get individual insurance on the item. Buy the crew a cup of coffee. Take off mirrors(?) There are other reputable companys too. Good Luck...R
@redorgreen avatar
UTC

Hooked
'08 S150

Hooked
@redorgreen avatar
'08 S150
UTC quote
I had movers take my nearly-new sport bike from Colorado Springs to Misissippi one time. They let it rub up against something, and that chewed throught the paint on the fairing and the engine case in short order. Nearly a total loss, just due to having to replace all those parts. Make sure they secure it completely, or will pay if they let that happen to you.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Still Shifting wrote:
I was ten years with Allied. You can do way worse...Get pictures, get individual insurance on the item. Buy the crew a cup of coffee. Take off mirrors(?) There are other reputable companys too. Good Luck...R
+100 on the cup of coffee plus lunch. The major moving companies have experienced people who have seen and moved it all. Treat them well, like guests and professionals, and don't second guess them. They will take good care of your scoot, and it will arrive at your new home with all your other treasures.

Al
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
Why do you think it will change trucks? Will it all be crated? In that case, your scooter should be safe in its own (!) crate. Get an empty crate from a Vespa dealer for a perfect fit.

I just did a move myself, secured the scooter in the back of a UHaul truck. I did cause some paint damage, but just on a plastic panel, and I did it myself, so I can live with it.
@debdarling avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS, "Isabella"

Hooked
@debdarling avatar
2007 GTS, "Isabella"
OP
UTC

UTC quote
thanks for the replies!

to answer why i think it might switch trucks is that there will be a storage place or two involved in the process: first, goes to a local transfer station, then picked up by the cross-country truck... I'm moving around 2,000 miles to a rural place in the pacific northwest.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0148s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]