@bluefelt avatar
UTC

Chickenwing
Vespa LX150 Midnight Blue, "Max"

Chickenwing
@bluefelt avatar
UTC quote
Wear bars? Are those the little rubber knobby things that look like they come out of the mold, or is this an area of the tire that I'm not familiar with?
Tonight, while pumping gas, I noticed my rear tire is worn down and my front is perfect. I've got 1,950 miles on my LX150. I'm wondering if I can wait until the 2,500 mi. service to replace the tire. There's still tread left, and tons of tread on the sides.
UTC

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime

Banned
GTS 250ie YELLOW N WHITE,Giallo Lime
UTC quote
worst two tires I know of
El Josh AKA Ruby wrote:
wills wrote:
jimc wrote:
Just got 10,000 out of mine - but you don't know what bike I'm talking about and the same applies to your postulate.

More info please if you want any sensible reply.
LX-50
LX-150
GTS-250 130/70x12

MP3-250
MP3-400
MP3-500

Fly-50
Fly-150

BV-250
BV-500

ET-150 Continental ZIPPY 1 6,500 when it blew

Probably a few others as well. I work at a dealership and am amazed at how quickly these scooter wear out tires. What tire are you getting that mileage from?
It's all about tire type.
If their Savas, I barely got 3k out of mine.
Very scary looking when I took them off the rim.
SHINKOS are not too far behind the SAVAS. Bad mileage tires. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
Re: Dumb Question
bluefelt wrote:
Wear bars? Are those the little rubber knobby things that look like they come out of the mold, or is this an area of the tire that I'm not familiar with?
Tonight, while pumping gas, I noticed my rear tire is worn down and my front is perfect. I've got 1,950 miles on my LX150. I'm wondering if I can wait until the 2,500 mi. service to replace the tire. There's still tread left, and tons of tread on the sides.
The wear bars are correctly called tread wear indicators (or TWI). If you inspect your tire closely, you will find little triangles around the side perimeter, pointing to the tread, indicating where your TWIs are. Every tire desingn's TWIs look different, so the following picture just shows one example (of a Diablo):

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Pretty much in the center of the yellow rectangle, you can see a little bulge in the valley of the tread. It looks like a little ramp. That's the TWI, and once a TWI is level with the surface of the tread, you've reached the end of the serviceable life of your tire.

Those thin rubber strands are from production and have no other function.
@bluefelt avatar
UTC

Chickenwing

Chickenwing
@bluefelt avatar
UTC quote
Extremely helpful. Thank you! I would not have figured this out. I guess gifted and talented classes don't teach you real life skills.
@motophoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@motophoto avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
My God how can you guys get that kind of milage out of your rear tires! The stock rear Sava was gone in 2300 miles and I am on to my second Michelin Pilot Sport SC rear now. The Pilot Sport got to 3400 miles while I waited for a new one on backorder, it was down to paper thin, no tread. Am I the biggest guy riding a scooter (250lb.) what am I doing to kill these little tires so soon. I mean it's not like the rear is spinning with all of that power Laughing emoticon .
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
Motophoto wrote:
My God how can you guys get that kind of milage out of your rear tires! The stock rear Sava was gone in 2300 miles and I am on to my second Michelin Pilot Sport SC rear now. The Pilot Sport got to 3400 miles while I waited for a new one on backorder, it was down to paper thin, no tread. Am I the biggest guy riding a scooter (250lb.) what am I doing to kill these little tires so soon. I mean it's not like the rear is spinning with all of that power Laughing emoticon .
$20 say it is in how you brake. Next tire, focus on applying the right brake lever more.
UTC

Hooked
2006 Vespa GT200, 2010 Pegeot Satalis 500, 2006 Piaggio BV 500

Hooked
2006 Vespa GT200, 2010 Pegeot Satalis 500, 2006 Piaggio BV 500
UTC quote
I got about 11,000 KM on my orginal pirelli! Of course I wore it down to the braiding!
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
Michael Moore wrote:
I'm curious what criteria people use when deciding to replace the rear tire. Is it when you get down to the wear bars, or when it gets squared off so badly that cornering is affected?

For me it is the latter - I hate being leaned over and feeling like the handling is all vague and weird.

Plus if there's rubber left you can have some fun. (see sig pic)
The latter for me as well. Id hate to be riding on the freeway and have a blow out because a piece of something cut into my bald tire.

My vote Zippys in the front, about 5000 miles, and Bridgestone in the rear, a little over 3000 miles.

Manny
@motophoto avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Hooked
@motophoto avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
windbreaker wrote:
Motophoto wrote:
$20 say it is in how you brake. Next tire, focus on applying the right brake lever more.
Thanks, I will try to be easier on the rear brake. I am not aware of sliding the rear but I will have to be more mindfull and see if I can streach to life of the tire past 3400 miles.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0208s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0113s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]