OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Hello, I'm thinking about getting a Vespa Super 150... But the only other scooter I have ever ridden was a 1986 Honda Elite, do you think this would be a good scooter for me? I'm also kinda apprehensive because it seems like there are a lot of the 1960's era super 150s for sale in my area, are they bad bikes?

also does 2000 sound like a fair deal for a 1960's Super 150?

Thanks!
@phaetn avatar
UTC

Addicted
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore

Addicted
@phaetn avatar
'78 Super 150 Mk II ported DR177, banded clutch, ASC Big Bore
UTC quote
Re: Vespa Super 150
Sarbe wrote:
Hello, I'm thinking about getting a Vespa Super 150... But the only other scooter I have ever ridden was a 1986 Honda Elite, do you think this would be a good scooter for me? I'm also kinda apprehensive because it seems like there are a lot of the 1960's era super 150s for sale in my area, are they bad bikes?

also does 2000 sound like a fair deal for a 1960's Super 150?

Thanks!
Be cautious. Super 150s are very commonly from Asia as they can be found there in numerous quantities, and in VERY mixed states of repair/condition. Some can look awfully pretty, but are death traps (multiple frames welded together, tin cans for shims in the engine, etc.) They also have smaller tires (8") compared to Sprints and others.

I happened to get a good one, but saw it in person and ran it before I bought it. $2000 sounds like a reasonable price, but it all depends on condition and history (I paid $3200 for mine, a 1978 Super 150 Mk II Eurospec) and then put in at least another $800 right away for things like all new wheels and tires, but then also ended up changing the front drum brake, rear brake lever, all cables, etc.

How many CCs was your Elite? A 60s Vespa is very different animal. They're two stroke, and require clutching and shifting; your left hand will be very busy, as you'll also be using it for turn signalling. Old Vespas are much more temperamental than the Elite would have been, and have no battery, meaning the points ignition system has to be in good working order in order to run lights and provide spark to the engine.

Be prepared to have to learn to service it on your own to avoid it being out-of-commission in the repair shop. If you're looking for reliability from a daily commuter, consider something more modern. If it's something you're prepared to have to temporarily fix on the road when you break down, and then spend hours at home to properly fix it, welcome to vintage Vespas.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
UTC quote
But, if you find a non-Asian Super 150, it's not all gloom and doom, even of you have to keep an eye on your breaker points. The Vespa sold like gang busters because it is quite reliable. If your Super has been properly maintained, it will be relatively reliable. Shifting a Vespa is no big deal. I've been doing it for over 50 years. Yes, there are some niceties to an auto trans, but shifting comes in a very close second in ease.

Just keep in mid that it's a 40 year old machine, and much will depend on how it was used and maintained over those 40+ years.

However, if it's an Asian rebuild, run away!

Good luck

Al
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
Also, if someone says they weren't restored in Asia .... well, they're probably lying. I would wager that 1/20 VBC's (vespa supers) i see for sale...... maybe even closer to 1/50 if they say they were from the '60's are asian restorations.

There were SOOOO FEEEEWWWW 60's supers sold in the states. Seems like the only legit US Vespa Supers i've seen in the states were from 1974.

Just fair warning. Seems like everyone selling viet scoots has a story these days : "it was restored by a friend in california" ... yada yada.

It's all nonsense.
OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
Haha okay I thought it was a little fishy there are so many super 150s for so cheap around here. I would love to get something more modern, but I've wanted a classic Vespa ever since I saw Quadrophenia as a kid.

Should I spend the extra $500 to get the 1969 Vespa Sprint that the shop also has? Do any of you know any classic looking newer models?

Thanks for the help

Oh yea the Elite was a 50cc, and the front rim was bent so I couldn't go over 20 mph or else it would start shaking to hard to ride Razz emoticon

P.S. are there any tell tell signs that it is an Asian rebuild? So when I go down there to check it out I know what to look for.
⚠️ Last edited by Sarbe on UTC; edited 1 time
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

@rover_eric avatar
UTC quote
You could always find a newer 2005-ish PX150, or a Genuine Stella ( basically an indian knockoff of a PX150 )

I'm not trying to talk you out of getting a vintage bike... it's just that whenever anyone says "Vespa Super" i kinda cringe a little bit, knowing full well they likely are looking at an asian imported one.
@apdx avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa T5, Vespa P200E

Hooked
@apdx avatar
Vespa T5, Vespa P200E
UTC quote
i just cringe at the 8 inch wheels and 2 port engine. but i don't see it being a bad starter bike.

a sprint (or better yet, sprint veloce) might be a bit more bang for the buck.
⬆️    About 4 years elapsed    ⬇️
@the_scooterist avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Super 150 // Vespa P200E

Hooked
@the_scooterist avatar
Vespa Super 150 // Vespa P200E
UTC quote
Oop, read many bad words about Vietnam. Yes, i confirm that. most vespa, sold from internet (from Vietnam), are faked. They only made to export. We all know it's bad, and no one buy. Becareful when you decide to buy anything from here.
But vespa here is good. We have a lot of nice vespa, good quality.
UTC

Banned
'80 p200 '63 li190

Banned
'80 p200 '63 li190
UTC quote
ive seen supers pretty commonly for around a grand in great condition. 2k's pushin it
@bar_italia_classics avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200, 1977 Rally 200, 1958 LD125 Mk III, 1965 S.S. 180 and on and on

Molto Verboso
@bar_italia_classics avatar
1974 Rally 200, 1977 Rally 200, 1958 LD125 Mk III, 1965 S.S. 180 and on and on
UTC quote
Sarbe wrote:
Should I spend the extra $500 to get the 1969 Vespa Sprint that the shop also has? Do any of you know any classic looking newer models?
There are a ton of Sprints and "Sprints" coming out of Vietnam too. And I would recommend steering well clear of anything that is sold by a shop that is also willing to deal in Vietnam bikes.

The best thing to do is post pics of any potential purchases. Plenty of people on this forum with even a moderately trained eye can spot these Asian b-o-d-g-e jobs a mile away. They look nothing like they are supposed to.
UTC

Hooked
64 177

Hooked
64 177
UTC quote
Hello, I don't know what scooter is good for you, but I am new to the scooter scene.

Somehow I thought it would be really rad to get a vintage scooter. And so far it's super fun.... But,

yes the but, u kind of have to maintain it, things break, dont work.... It's not rad pushing your scooter home.

So, be ready to work on your bike:) and have fun!
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GT200, Vespa 150 Sprint

Enthusiast
Vespa GT200, Vespa 150 Sprint
UTC quote
In all fairness, can we call it a "Viet bodge" and not "Asian bodge"? Razz emoticon
@hp avatar
UTC

Addicted
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125

Addicted
@hp avatar
'60 VS5, '63 Li 150 Special, '07 PX125
UTC quote
Old thread is hella old.

Hope he figured out what bike to get by now.
UTC

1966 vbc 150

1966 vbc 150
UTC quote
super 150
I got one my man and NO do not get one unless you love a challange and like working on things like I do ,I had a honda Aero 80 and it got boring because it NEVER broke down what fun is that??? Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0289s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0194s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]