Mp3 500
UTC quote
Around here, I notice that I get much less attention
riding the 500 than I did back in the spring,-its still a novelty,
but I think most people seem to have read about them
by now and aren't as shocked. I can get gasoline without
inquiries, and people no longer hang out the windows of their
cars taking photos with the cell phone.
Crowds no longer gather round everywhere I go.
Thats fine by me, but wondered if the rest of you have
noticed a lessening of public curiosity?
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I never got that level of attention, just some curious questions and subtle looks. Maybe L.A. people are just too "cool" to be obvious about it, or maybe there are a lot more unique-looking vehicles of all types around these parts.

BTW, where I used to see Hummers on the way to work, now I see Smart cars.
UTC

Hooked
Puch SRA150, MP3 400, Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada, BMW K75S

Hooked
Puch SRA150, MP3 400, Moto Guzzi 750 Nevada, BMW K75S
UTC quote
Re: Are MP3s not the curiosities they once were?
Rob In Denver wrote:
Crowds no longer gather round everywhere I go.
Have you checked your deodorant lately?

Talk to bmsbike:
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic37696

He's about to sell his because of all the attention it garners...

Cheers and all the best

Trevor G

PS Rob, time to get a Can-Am, methinks.
@wanderlust avatar
UTC

MP3 500

@wanderlust avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: Are MP3s not the curiosities they once were?
I would have to agree. Even in a smaller town (Terre Haute, IN) Im not getting that much attention on it. Still fun however!
UTC

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3

Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
UTC quote
I get more attention than I ever expected. It's cool for now but look forward to it slowing down too.

Sometimes I park in front of our Wal-Mart. I came out to my MP3 and a woman in a motorized wheelchair wanted to know all about it. I told her and said a new 1 would be about $8,000 OTD. She then informed me that was cheaper than her wheelchair !!
@jacq avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288

Molto Verboso
@jacq avatar
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
UTC quote
I get a few looks, a couple of inquiries, but really, it's hard to stand out in Austin...
OP
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
Ok Trevor, I had to laugh about the deodorant!!
The 500 is not totally devoid of attention yet, however. The other day I was waiting to turn left, and a car came from that direction, passing in front of me. A guy in the car totally hung out the passenger
window and screamed-"That is ####ing AWESOME!!!".

I thank him for his enthusiasm, but I am just fine with the
attention deficit that I am perceiving as normal now.
Or maybe it IS my deodorant!
@smrf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit

Molto Verboso
@smrf avatar
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit
UTC quote
I'd prefer less attention... I've never been one to enjoy being stared at.

Plus, it kills me when people are going through intersections slowly to stare at the scoot, when all I can think of is "drive and get out of my way!"
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
UTC quote
I think its just a saturation affect Rob. I've noticed a lot less attention in my little town, but every now and then, I run into someone who hasn't seen me. However, when I travel to a new town...the craziness returns in full force! Razz emoticon
UTC

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black
UTC quote
I still get a fair bit of attention here in Brisbane. Mostly just longing looks (that's how I'm interpreting them anyhow). The good thing is that I'm seeing more and more MP3s on the road now.

I had some unusual attention the other day. We went to the local farmers markets and as we were parking, this guy approaches us and said in a rather embarrased/reverent tone "I just had to come and have a look at it".

He watched us drive slowly in and his curiosity got the better of him. After talking to him I found out that he has a Piaggio aircraft which is being rebuilt and he was aware of the MP3 but just hadn't had a chance to look at one. He knew a bit about it as well which is nice for a change

I had one group of guys 'comment' on the scoot as I was waiting to turn. They waited until they were just out of my vision range and yelled "It looks gay". I just turned to face them and shook my head. Some people are brainless.
@awdnut avatar
UTC

MP3-500

@awdnut avatar
MP3-500
UTC quote
jaredmorgs wrote:
I had one group of guys 'comment' on the scoot as I was waiting to turn. They waited until they were just out of my vision range and yelled "It looks gay". I just turned to face them and shook my head. Some people are brainless.
Muahahaa . . . Laughing emoticon
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I live in a big town (Dallas). What surprises me is that I'm on the road almost every day on my bike and I've only seen 2 other MP3s in a little over 3 mos. since I got mine. But the attention is dying down a little and I'm glad. Most of the attention comes on the weekends when people stuck in offices get a chance to get out.
@gilk51 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
wife has the MP3 500 (red&black)

Enthusiast
@gilk51 avatar
wife has the MP3 500 (red&black)
UTC quote
jerryw wrote:
I live in a big town (Dallas). What surprises me is that I'm on the road almost every day on my bike and I've only seen 2 other MP3s in a little over 3 mos. since I got mine. But the attention is dying down a little and I'm glad. Most of the attention comes on the weekends when people stuck in offices get a chance to get out.
Yeah, I have yet to see another one on the west side besides the wife's. A friend who lives in Rendon said he saw a red & black 500 on 1187 - that one might be Serendipity...

We were out running errands Saturday and had folks at two places walk up and ask questions. There was a car that was following us that was obviously checking it out, too.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
I am still getting lots of looks and questions when ever I stop at any store or gas station. 8)
@wizerd avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@wizerd avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
I get MUCH less attention now than I did when I first began riding it last summer. I still notice the occasional stare from a passing car, but pedestrians don't stop and point anymore. I wonder why. I still haven't seen another local MP3 on the road, so that can't be it.
@schlagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500, Buddy 125

Addicted
@schlagle avatar
MP3 500, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Hmm, I still get the same amount of attention. Especially from that cop that nabbed me doing 80 in a 65.... but that's another story.

Just the other day I notice the car next to me was pacing me. I look over and it's another idiot trying to drive and use his cell phone camera on me at 70mph in traffic. Damn idiots out there I swear.
@soulsurfer avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 400

Enthusiast
@soulsurfer avatar
MP3 400
UTC quote
turning heads
still big here in Florida, as there are no dealers in my local area, plus thousands of tourists who may not get out much. There are several scooter rentals out here, so maybe they are thinking "where did he rent that one from?" I am glad to hear the popularity is waning, as it has made for some dangerous scenarios on the road.
@chillicrab avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 398.9

Hooked
@chillicrab avatar
MP3 398.9
UTC quote
i get the same reaction here as does mpfrank. people here are just too damn proud to admit they've not seen such an unusual machine before. except for one elderly man on an old beat-up vespa who literally back-pedalled at the lights to ask me what it was, and a taxi driver at a petrol station who asked how does it stay upright on its own, people on the road just turn away as soon as you turn to look at them. honestly i'll be glad to talk to them if they'd just wind down their windows or flip up their visors to ask me about it.
UTC

Enthusiast
150 + mp3(in shop)

Enthusiast
150 + mp3(in shop)
UTC quote
had the same thing happen as schlagle about a month ago. - the car with the camera phone - not the cop pulling me over...

however more recently:
I was listening to the trucks engine straining to get up along the side of me for a closer look (this morning on the way into work).
Yesterday, or maybe it was the day before, somebody was tailgating me to try and get a better look, so i changed lanes and they pulled up alongside of me and starting drifting into my space to get an even closer look.
I wish that i had a sign that would point them in the direction of the dealer so they could take a close look at it without forgetting that they are driving down the freeway at 65 miles an hour.

Wizerd - i believe that the stares are tied into gas prices. if you are paying 8 bucks to go 20 miles in your huge vehicle then you would be on the lookout for something different, and seeing lots of motorcycles regularly out there (people saving money on gas) adding a third wheel in the mix is something new and strange. *maybe anyway*
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
You can beat your sweet bippy..I rode today with him 4 the first time since he got his big wind shield..Positive reactions.. Laughing emoticon We stopped at Pep Boy's today and were surrounded by the employees..One asked why not 2 wheels in the rear also..Little do they know..
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rille avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3 250

Enthusiast
@rille avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
ufo wrote:
You can beat your sweet bippy..I rode today with him 4 the first time since he got his big wind shield..Positive reactions.. Laughing emoticon We stopped at Pep Boy's today and were surrounded by the employees..One asked why not 2 wheels in the rear also..Little do they know..
The pic below, are they the emloyees ?
@dingo avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Gilera Fuoco 500

Enthusiast
@dingo avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500
UTC quote
A couple of "negative remarks" that have stuck in my mind on 2 separate occasions include something to do with "training wheels" and the other suggesting that the next time I go riding, I'll be on 2 wheels!...some guys can be sooo nasty
UTC

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco

Hooked
Gilera Fuoco
UTC quote
When I have had comments saying "you've got to front wheels" I would love to say "no sh#@ Sherlock" but they might take offence so my reply is " just in case I get a puncture in one I have a spare " what makes me laugh is they always walk away asking no more questions looking very confussed always works hehe
@glow_guy avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 400-THMP3R

Hooked
@glow_guy avatar
MP3 400-THMP3R
UTC quote
It's not "training wheels" it is a "performance enhancing front-end for the optimization of cornering and safety vectors".

i.e. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit Razz emoticon
@ginger_phil avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Vespa GTS 250

Hooked
@ginger_phil avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
Still loads of interest here on the east coast of England although round here people still look up at the sky when they hear an aeroplane flying overhead. Laughing emoticon

I went to pay a check/cheque (depending on where you live) into my bank account on Saturday, I parked the scoot and before I could even remove my crash helmet two guys had stopped to ask me about the bike.

I came back to the bike, put my helmet back on and another guy came over to ask me about the bike, I then demonstrated how it leans and can stay upright etc etc.

It's always funny to park the bike up in a busy area and stand well away and see how many people point the bike out to other people they're with.
@georgiagirl avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@georgiagirl avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
I live in a rural area and I think I'm the first MP3 'round here. Day before yesterday some old guy and his wife followed me about 30 minutes up Lookout Mountain until I pulled over at a gas station to let them by (I'm new and still slow for a local in the twisties) and turns out they had been following me for 30 minutes to ask what it was. I guess it was their version of a Sunday ride. Gas either has no one ask, or we are there for thirty minutes, because once one person come up, four others do. I figure it will settle down once everyone in town has seen it - it is a LITTLE town, it won't take long.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0181s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]