OP
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
UTC quote
I bought a Vespa for something 9 months out of the year then have a gas hog run me the other 3. But some things came up and I need to ride my scooter a bit longer than expected. The problem -- It's 23 F outside today and I'm going to freeze myself to death. I was wondering if you guys knew of some clothes that could help me stay warm through similar weather?

I was thinking a "wind breaker" type of material but I wore a poncho one time when it rained and it was ripped to shreds. And I don't even know what are some good "wind breaker" clothes anymore... Any other ideas on what to wear? Or any experiences on this?

Thanks!
Will
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Layer yourself. Outer layer of a nylon or vinyl wind blocking rain suit is a big help.

Al
@sallad avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS

Molto Verboso
@sallad avatar
GTS
UTC quote
Layers.
"Windstopper" type jackets (NorthFace, Helly Hanson, etc).

I wear a pair of flannel lined canvas work pants from LL Bean which are great.

Rain pants/jackets are quick and easy ways to add a layer.

A nice parka, maybe.

Good gloves too, gotta keep those hands warm
UTC

Hooked
PX150

Hooked
PX150
UTC quote
Best thing for a scooter that I've found is a military parka.

I'm an old motorcyclist, and I found riding a scooter in the winter way easier than a bike. Especially if you have a windshield. Get a medium high one, it helps alot. Layer yur stuyff over a bagy fiting parka. Real wool sweaters like the Brit military ones are good. Long underwear is going to be your friend. Buy the parka big enough to fit over two sweaters and a thin windbreaker, and still be a comfortable fit.

Mittens are way warmer than gloves. Get some mits with thick thinssulate insulation, and put on a pair of thin poly-pro gloves under them

Of course for that cold, you may want to check out snowmobile wear. Same kind of windchill factor.
@harvey avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),

Ossessionato
@harvey avatar
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
UTC quote
I've had good results with a windproof jacket liner & Polar fleece under my riding jacket . I also wear long underwear, ski gloves and Balaclava when it gets cold. At the temps you're riding at make sure the roads are dry before you start out!

Regards
Harvey
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
Try here for some good info.
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic8145
@varaflame avatar
UTC

Hooked
S125

Hooked
@varaflame avatar
S125
UTC quote
I've got one of those northface jackets and a fleece sweater which zips into the jacket on cold days, I wear it over my hoody and it's quite warm. Then I wear leather gloves and long underwear. It works for me.
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
Really hardcore riders sometimes opt for snowmobile suits.

Living in CA, that's just hearsay from me - I wouldn't even know where to buy one, but it sounds reasonable.
@vinny72758 avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 250, MP3500

Hooked
@vinny72758 avatar
GTS 250, MP3500
UTC quote
Carhart coevralls
I persoanlly wear Carhart coveralls ($100), a balaclava and thick gloves, down to about 9 degrees farenheit. Cooler than that i also throw on an additional coat and some cycling leg warmers for my knees.

I rode 262 miles one-way beginning at 3:30am yesterday, at 25 degrees with that, a lightweight pullover shirt, some smartwool socks and boots, and was plenty warm for 3.5 hours.

Then on the return trip (when it was 55 degrees), ditched the Carharts and wore my midweight riding jacket home.

Vinny
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I just bought a Widder electric vest. It is very thin, and packs small. I expect it to take the place of some of the bulkier layers I have. Now I have to buy the plug and set it up (and lose 5 pounds).

Last night I rode home and it was about 59 degrees (I'm in Florida) on a stretch in the country. I had a leather vest on underneath a fleece jacket, and I was comfortable except that the fleece cuffs allowed air to blow up the sleeves, and I could feel that. They were standard elastic cuffs. I would think that any jacket sould have to have velcro cuffs that you can tighten down.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
I never found it necessary to buy "big ticket" items to ride in sub-freezing weather. I taught at a high school 12 miles from my home, most of which was on 45 to 50 mph roads, and the most practical way to show up clothed "ready to teach" was to simply wear a military surplus parka, loose vinyl rain pants over my corduroy trousers, a pair of good gloves and a face mask.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

When I got to the school, I pulled off the rain pants, and I was ready to go.

There are some great fleece lined denim jeans at Sportsmansguide.com. The only thing is I found them a bit warm indoors.

It's really not hard to ride warm at reasonable prices.

Al
@feb31st avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech

Addicted
@feb31st avatar
GTS 250, Sprint 150 & HPE Tech
UTC quote
I tapped out on the cold and broke down and bought some riding gear three weeks ago. I ride to work daily here in Pennsylvania.

I put my dress socks on, boxers and wear the riding pants. When I get to work, slip on my work pants. Reverse end of the day.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-devil-jacket

and

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-factor-pants

They were alittle pricey but they keep me really warm. Extremely comfortable. I wish I had bought them sooner.

The jacket came with a rain liner and a winter down type liner. Same with the pants. Be sure to order a size up - the sizing guide on the site is European. I almost missed that.

@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
UTC quote
A tall windscreen to cover hands and torso, and a scooter blanket or an apron to cover your legs. Warm gloves will help too
@percival_marsh avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET2 "Josephine"

Enthusiast
@percival_marsh avatar
2004 ET2 "Josephine"
UTC quote
I tend to favour the layering approach. Currently, I wear military long-johns underneath my work trousers, sometimes topped up with waterproof leggings for added warmth. As for the top half: t-shirt, shirt, fleece. a Royal Navy extreme weather jacket and a cheeky little "buff" headscarf. Certainly keeps me warm. I am also still braving the open-face helmet. [shakes head]

For overall warmth and style, you can't beat a parka. Although this comes with the added stigma of a stereotypical mod scooterist and that may not be your thang.
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Aviator47 wrote:
I never found it necessary to buy "big ticket" items to ride in sub-freezing weather.
An alternative to a face mask is a gaiter. I know they sell one (1) kind at Walmart. A little small for me at first, but it has stretched and works perfectly. Only one color, about $4. I've had and used it for about 3 weeks and it hasn't shown any signs of being a "you get what you pay for" item.

I also like to wear tall socks, rather than a pair of special pants. Of course, I have a Fly, and I hear that the foot shield is a bit more efficient/wide. And a windshield is always great; blocks most rain from your front (your head still gets hit).
@christos_x avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
No Scooter no more...

Molto Verboso
@christos_x avatar
No Scooter no more...
UTC quote
Yep, i'm all for the layers and military surplus thang meself.

I normaly wear my normal clothes under various military items depending on the weather.

I found these to be great in the cold but sadly they dont quite fit over my normal clothes - german mountain trousers
Cost approx £20

so because the mountain trousers dont quite fit as over trousers i decided to buy a British army cold weather tank suit.

Its like a big comfy sleeping bag with arms and legs. its really nice and warm and i wear a waterproof riding jacket over the top and a pair of waterproof Gortex army cammo tousers on the bottom (if its chucking it down). Cost £16

gloves wise ive just bought a pier of these - Spada enforcers

they are the best waterproof gloves i've owned, and they really do keep my hands toasty warm for far longer than any other glove i've had. Cost £44

on my feet i wear 2 pairs of socks (thin thermal inner and thick hicking outer) and a pair of army surplus leather boots. Cost £10

up top its a Roof boxer V and a silk scarf for my neck.

Thats it, it takes me no time at all to put this stuff on in the morning and even less time to take it off when I get to work.

P.S I now love riding in the rain and I really cant wait for it to get colder.
@got_mine avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 LX190 RIP 1980 Honda CM400T SOLD 2013 Shadow 750 RIP

Molto Verboso
@got_mine avatar
2007 LX190 RIP 1980 Honda CM400T SOLD 2013 Shadow 750 RIP
UTC quote
The best thing I found for cold/rainy weather is a 1995 toyota 4runner.
Sorry guys, but after frostbite a few years ago I am a wimp now...
UTC

Hooked
'01 ET4

Hooked
'01 ET4
UTC quote
i rode to work yesterday & it was 26°F. but, fleece-lined jeans, sheepskin bomber jacket & northern outfitters gloves (w/ liners)... i was very well suited. 8)
@dutch avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@dutch avatar
LXV 150 GTV 250
UTC quote
20 F this morning. I wear a fleece jacket under my rain jacket. Rain jacket keeps the wind out, fleece keeps me warm. Sheepskin gloves. 3/4 helmet. Fleece jacket zips up "tall" enough to keep the wind off my neck.
@dee avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4 "Bucky"; Midnight Blue MP3 400 "Zucchero"

Hooked
@dee avatar
ET4 "Bucky"; Midnight Blue MP3 400 "Zucchero"
UTC quote
I keep seeing the comments about parkas and heavy jackets. No armor in the winter, or are all of the comments from folk who don't like armor at any time? I have decided to try wearing my ski rain wear over my armored jacket tomorrow and see if it is any warmer than the windbreaker liner that came with it, worn underneath. My XC ski rain pants work really well over my jeans, and I love the long zippers on the side for getting them on and off over boots.

One of the biggest messes we ever had to clean up in the ER was a MC rider who went down wearing a down jacket...you simply CANNOT sweep up down or feathers. We were finding down floating in the ER for weeks afterwards.

Dee
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Dee wrote:
I keep seeing the comments about parkas and heavy jackets. No armor in the winter, or are all of the comments from folk who don't like armor at any time? I have decided to try wearing my ski rain wear over my armored jacket tomorrow and see if it is any warmer than the windbreaker liner that came with it, worn underneath. My XC ski rain pants work really well over my jeans, and I love the long zippers on the side for getting them on and off over boots.

One of the biggest messes we ever had to clean up in the ER was a MC rider who went down wearing a down jacket...you simply CANNOT sweep up down or feathers. We were finding down floating in the ER for weeks afterwards.

Dee
Funny how things change once you live on or near the left coast...you forgot what winter was....LOL

Streets are iced, no scooter this week....

Tom in Winona
@nigelthefish avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
ET2, PX150

Ossessionato
@nigelthefish avatar
ET2, PX150
UTC quote
In the winter I mostly wear a seat belt....just to damn cold, icy and sandy not to.

This winter has been mild so far. Been enjoying it
@ratstar avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 Super

Addicted
@ratstar avatar
GTS250 Super
UTC quote
so far it's a tshirt and hoodie under my thinly insulated leather riding jacket, with ski gloves and a windresistant balaclava. I recently added cheapo long underwear under my jeans (I think I need to buy a better pair for it to really help). I'm ok for the first half hour, after that I get pretty cold.
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 White LX150-S; 2005 Vino 125 - SOLD

Enthusiast
2009 White LX150-S; 2005 Vino 125 - SOLD
UTC quote
Dee wrote:
I keep seeing the comments about parkas and heavy jackets. No armor in the winter, or are all of the comments from folk who don't like armor at any time?
I've been wondering the same thing? Is armor a seasonal thing for some people??

Bonnie
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
ibonnie wrote:
Dee wrote:
I keep seeing the comments about parkas and heavy jackets. No armor in the winter, or are all of the comments from folk who don't like armor at any time?
I've been wondering the same thing? Is armor a seasonal thing for some people??

Bonnie
All my armored jackets have liners, mesh the lightest liner, cordura next heaviest, and armored leather has a very heavy quilted liner. But nothing to help with todays icy streets. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
In the winter I have been wearing a dense fleece under my Corazzo 5.0. This has been fine except when I have to go out at lunch to pick up my lunch. This year I'm thinking about wearing my better fitting Corazzo speedway mesh with armour of course underneath my Parka. That way I still have my armour on when riding but have my warm parka for my walk at lunch.
UTC

Lurker
S 150

Lurker
S 150
UTC quote
DOWN
⚠️ Last edited by jobo1977 on UTC; edited 1 time
@kcphoto2008 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Piaggio BV250

Hooked
@kcphoto2008 avatar
2009 Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
I bought a set of Olymia riding jacket and pants when I bought my Vespa. The liners are removeable so if it is warm they are comfortable. Also they are still large enough to add another layer under the liners. So my winter gear is basically that plus Olympia Wind-Tex gloves (gauntlet style with thinslulate liner), on days below 40 and so far down into the 20's I also wear a balaclava to keep the wind off my face at the bottom of my faceshield. My scooter also has a midsize windscreen and it helps a lot to deflect some of the wind. I also wear heavy hiking socks and thinsulate lined boots.

I think that about covers it. So far the coldest day I have ridden was in the mid 20's and I made it 30 miles each way without getting too cold. It pays to know your route though so you can plan a hot chocolate stop on the way. Put your gloves under your jacked to warm them up some while you are inside, that makes a world of difference.
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
I am installing a Powerlet $45.95 in the left knee area and will be running a heated jacket and gloves. Link If you get a Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest for $161.95 it will come with everything you need including the controller. The thought of a compete setup for around $200 put this mod at the top of my list.

@whaley avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa gt 200

Hooked
@whaley avatar
vespa gt 200
UTC quote
I have a "never used" Vespa Scooter Apron for sale for $100.00 plus shipping. It was made for cold weather riding. It's made for the GT200
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0245s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0097s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]