@lauri avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX150

Hooked
@lauri avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
I'm having an issue with my '06 150LX. It started to have trouble turning on, I would turn the key, press the ignition and it would sputter like there was no power from the battery. I'd try again and it would start and run fine for the rest of the day. The next day it would take longer and eventually it just didn't start.

I took it to Vespa of Austin where it languished while they told me that yeah, they will look at it, they have looked at it, they are waiting on a phone call from California about it. After 5 weeks, I went over there and said that I wanted it back, they charged the battery and I took it down to another scooter repair shop where for 5 days, they couldn't duplicate the initial problem. Neither place asked me to pay (which makes me think Vespa of Austin didn't even look at it).

After a couple of weeks, it started doing the same thing. Now, it's been dead, in my garage for 2 weeks.

Does anyone have any advise and if it includes replacing the battery can you tell me where it is and how to access it?

Lauri
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
The battery is under the seat, the long bump next to the gas cap. One screw holds the cover on, I believe. It is pretty snug in there. There is a drain hose connected at the bottom.

A good replacement battery is the Yuasa YTX14-BS. It is sealed and doesn't use the drain.

A Battery Tender JR is a good investment to keep the battery charged, although your battery may be just getting old and needs a replacement.

EDIT: If you switch to that Yuasa battery, you need to replace the battery tray, also. I believe the part # is 573128.
⚠️ Last edited by NightWing on UTC; edited 1 time
@scooter_west avatar
UTC

Sponsor

Sponsor
@scooter_west avatar
UTC quote
The 2006 models always had charging/battery issues due to having a 9 amp battery. The 150cc models always had 12 amp batteries, but they tried to cut costs on the 2006 models with a 9 amp battery. They realized it didn't work, and installed a 12 amp on all future models. You can switch over to a 12 amp battery if you swap out the battery tray for one designed to take a 12 amp. That has been a good fix for a lot of 2006 LX 150 models with charging/battery issues. You could also have a starting relay going out. They usually reside next to the battery, and respond well to some light tapping with a screwdriver or such. They are squarish with wires coming out the bottom, and are on the right side of the battery if you are standing behind the bike.
@greg531 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200

Molto Verboso
@greg531 avatar
63 GL 150, 05 Typhoon, 09 Beo 200
UTC quote
Quote:
I took it to Vespa of Austin where it languished while they told me that yeah, they will look at it, they have looked at it, they are waiting on a phone call from California about it. After 5 weeks
I cannot fathom these dealers that keep scooters that long without working on them....Even if they did not charge you....
Would an auto dealer do that to you?
OP
@lauri avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX150

Hooked
@lauri avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Thanks everyone. The 9amp-to-12amp sounds like advice I got the other evening from someone who has no problem taking his motorcycle apart blindfolded and thinks I can do the same. I'm not that mechanically inclined and will take it back to the second shop and ask that they do this.

As for the 5 weeks...when my DH takes his motorcycle to the repair shop, 2-3 weeks is standard. I think even Vespa Austin realized how ludicrous it sounded though when I called and said that 5 weeks for a diagnosis was long enough.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
"While you wait" at an appointed time here, or a loan bike. Sounds like some dealers need a reality check, especially now times are a leetle more competitive due to the lack of cash-flow...
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
In constant state of flux...
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
"While you wait" at an appointed time here, or a loan bike. Sounds like some dealers need a reality check, especially now times are a leetle more competitive due to the lack of cash-flow...
As much as I'd love as many bikes rolling around our cities here compared to the UK, the fact is little to no dealers have the ability to compete for service like they do in Europe because there aren't enough bikes on the road to have a constant volume of repair work to rely on.

I wish it were so.
OP
@lauri avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX150

Hooked
@lauri avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
For scooter repair here, we are limited. The dealers only service what they sell and the one I will be using services anyone; suffice it to say they are packed. Even knowing what I want and if I show up with the parts, it'll still probably be several days to a week.

Motorcycle repair is even worse. That 2 week wait? That's for an oil change. I wish there were loner bikes. I almost wish I hadn't bought this scooter. After this problem gets solved, it maybe featured on craigslist or ebay.

Lauri
@servicejeff avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman

Hooked
@servicejeff avatar
2007 GT200 1962 VBB Cushman
UTC quote
Yes selling your scooter sounds like its your best choice! Now when you start your scooter are you just pushing the start button???Does your battery say Yuasa YB9?? You may want to try and give it gas while you press the start button anf get a battery that says YUASA YTX-12BS If those don;t work it could be a bad stator???? Good Luck-
UTC

Enthusiast
Piaggio Fly 125

Enthusiast
Piaggio Fly 125
UTC quote
I have 3 garages around my local area.
1 of which has a waiting list and turnaround time of about 2 weeks.
Rediculous i think.
The other one has a waiting list and turn around time of about 3 days (however it is a motorcycle garage - and they seem to put less and less screws in each time it's taken apart)
The 3rd one, which i am a regular visiter has a turn around time of about 5 hours.

Scooters are supposed to me easy riding as far as i'm concerned.
Mine takes me to school everyday, i need a same day turnaround.

People that have to wait a very long time should seriously re-consider thier garages, even if it means you have to travel a bit more to get to the garage.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]