@gregt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500

Molto Verboso
@gregt avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
I've started to notice a "quirk" on my year old LX150. When it has not been driven for about two days, I turn the key in the morning, press the starter once and nothing happens. The second (and sometimes third time) the starter is pressed, it cranks right up. I've driven it year round and put it on a battery tender once a week over night just to keep the battery in good shape. After it's been driven all day, there's no problem starting right up.

Any suggestions as to what's causing this?
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
I don't have any thoughts on what's causing it, specifically, but I can say that mine has done the same thing - though not to as drastic a degree. On some mornings (no real pattern to it), I will hit the starter, and it will crank what sounds like 1/2 a rotation of the crankshaft - then stop. Occasionally, continuing to hold the start button will get it to kick over. More often than not, though, I have to let off and try again. It never fails to work properly on the 2nd go-round...
@msauter avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
LX 150

Enthusiast
@msauter avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Mine does the "whirring" thing on the first start attempt of the day ... the starter motor runs but does not engage. After a few attempts it will finally engage and no problems for the rest of the day. I have read of others having this same issue. I have come to think of it as a "feature" to remind me that it is an Italian bike. I had a Fiat convertible that leaked oil from the distributor shaft onto the hot exhaust manifold, the wisp of smoke from under the hood would remind me daily of it's quirkiness ...
OP
@gregt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500

Molto Verboso
@gregt avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
msauter wrote:
Mine does the "whirring" thing on the first start attempt of the day ... the starter motor runs but does not engage.
That describes it completely! I can get used to a "quirk". I just wanted to make sure something's not going terribly awry.
@dannyh avatar
UTC

Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold

Resident Gentleman
@dannyh avatar
--------2008 LX150-------- Sold
UTC quote
msauter wrote:
Mine does the "whirring" thing on the first start attempt of the day ... the starter motor runs but does not engage.
I've had the same issue on cold mornings. I'm wondering if there might be some kind of lubricant on the bendix shaft that thickens up when cold. It hasn't been a real problem (yet). I just hit the starter button a few times until it "catches".
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
I've noticed that the switch in my rear brake lever that enables the starter is getting finicky and I have to crunch down all the way on the lever to get it to work. Probably an easy adjustment.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Well, I was having the same problem but now I think the starter motor is dead. Whirrs for a bit, then nada. Battery is charged, but I'm going to try swapping it just to see...
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
Well, I was having the same problem but now I think the starter motor is dead. Whirrs for a bit, then nada. Battery is charged, but I'm going to try swapping it just to see...
Hm, put the battery from the Buddy in there and it started up. Battery in Vespa is a one-year-old Yuasa YTX12-BS that I keep on a tender. Weird. Guess I'll replace it. I'm going through a battery a year at this point for some reason.
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
I too had been having the "whirring thing" on cold mornings on the very low mileage 2007 LX150 that I acquired in October as well. When the temps got into the 40-degree F. range, it would often take up to a half dozen hits of the starter button before the bendix gear would engage the starter motor, despite bring left on a battery tender. I replaced the battery, and things got slightly better... maybe 3 - 4 hits before it would engage.

I thought about the "cold lubricant on the bendix" possibility as well, but I researched it and found out the bendix (pinion) gear is not supposed to be lubricated.

Well... I've been riding the scoot nearly every day all winter (until the super-cold snap the past couple of days), and the situation had been steadily improving! Now the starter always engages on the first or second hit, even when the temperature is down around freezing.

As an ultimate test -- although I had no intention of riding -- I went out and started it up this morning at 10 degrees F. It fired right up on the first hit!

I've come to the conclusion that the bendix gear is initially tight and stiff when cold, but it loosens up gradually if the scoot is ridden every day.

A good excuse to ride more!
@lanny avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Daring Plum LX150 2009 Midnight Blue LX150

Hooked
@lanny avatar
2007 Daring Plum LX150 2009 Midnight Blue LX150
UTC quote
My LX also had all these symptoms at one time. I bought a new battery and not another problem....infact over the holidays I didn't start it up for weeks and it fired right up. I think the factory batteries are just not very good. Mine started making all the whirling sounds soon after I purchased the scooter and until I replaced the battery a year later....It's been over a year and half with no noise, no battery tender, nothing!
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
UTC quote
Ahh, Dude... yeah... but you live in Sonoma County, California. You don't really have winter there. Your mean daily temperature in January is, like, 50 degrees, and the mean daily low temperature is 40.

Even when my LX was acting up, it was only at temps of about 40 and below.
OP
@gregt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500

Molto Verboso
@gregt avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
Silver Streak wrote:
Well... I've been riding the scoot nearly every day all winter (until the super-cold snap the past couple of days), and the situation had been steadily improving! Now the starter always engages on the first or second hit, even when the temperature is down around freezing.

I've come to the conclusion that the bendix gear is initially tight and stiff when cold, but it loosens up gradually if the scoot is ridden every day.

A good excuse to ride more!
This has been my experience as well.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
A couple other LX owners have told me they're averaging about a battery per year. Sigh... cost of ownership.
@beergeek avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black '07 LX 150

Hooked
@beergeek avatar
Black '07 LX 150
UTC quote
I'm approaching 2 yrs. on mine and still starts first time every time. (Knocks on wood...)
@juniorswa avatar
UTC

Hooked
'08 LX150, '86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe (sold)

Hooked
@juniorswa avatar
'08 LX150, '86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe (sold)
UTC quote
I replaced my original battery after IT was about 1 year old. I had owned the scooter for 10 months. The original battery in mine was pretty crappy, if not defective. My new battery works so much better and sounds so much stronger, I highly recommend you do the same. Even if I have to replace one battery a year, I guess that isn't too bad, but i really think the batteries vary greatly in quality and durability. You should buy a new battery ASAP!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0214s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0113s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]