@fattymcgee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
@fattymcgee avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
I've been waiting on this to finally hit the shelves in the US and I got notice that mine ships out today. I know it has cropped up in a few threads, but I thought I'd let everyone know it is actually available now.

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/motorcyclekits/parrotsk4000

I'll post on it after I receive it and get it installed.

Fatty
@fuoconoob avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@fuoconoob avatar
UTC quote
mic
it looks like the microphone attaches outside the fullface helmet!! Lemme know how your speed and wind noise affect talking with that interface, was unaware of solutions for a fullface that use an outside microphone while wearing a full-face helmet....appears to be a different mike solution for a fullface helmet than Scala or IMC Motorcom anyways...

thanks! 8)
UTC

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black

Hooked
Had a Piaggio MP3 250ie Graphite Black
UTC quote
What a fantastic looking product. FM built into the unit!

The only thing I can see is that the unit is for single person communication and would not be suitable for those people wanting to communicate with their pillion rider, for example.

Is this correct?
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
I'm very interested in this product and look forward to your report.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250
UTC quote
Any update on this? I like the handlebar control, but I'm considering the Scala Rider FM so that I can get one for my wife's helmet too.

That way I can hear her panic on a turn rather than just feel the clenching of her hands....
OP
@fattymcgee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
@fattymcgee avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
Well I've had it installed now for about 2 weeks and, aside from a few small issues, I think it is worth the money.

My first issue has nothing to do with the Parrot, but with my iphone. It has bluetooth built in, but does not stream A2DP so I can't use the bluetooth music function. I hear that may change later with a software update on the iphone, but right now I just work around it with an fm tuner. It is not
ideal but it does work. I assume with other phones/gps it would work fine.

My other issue is related to the install on my modular Symax II. The control unit was hard to mount securely because of the modular action, but once in place it held fine. It took about 20 minutes to install the control unit and run the speaker wires under the padding. I do have a hard time sliding the control unit on and off to charge so I have just started leaving it attached to the helmet and charging it while installed on the helmet.

I paired my iphone with it and installed the handle bar control in about 2 minutes while sitting on the scooter. After that I initiated a call via the handlebar controls. I simply spoke my dad's name and the voice responded with home/cell/office. I said cell and it completed the call. I chatted with him and began my ride home from work. He had no idea that I was on the scooter and could not tell the difference when I was cruising at 45 or stopped at a stop sign. The sound quality in the helmet was really good and the auto volume adjusted accordingly. I don't intend to use the phone, but welcome the ability to if it is needed in a special situation.

As for the radio it has worked really well for me. I tend to only listen to NPR or talk radio so sometimes at higher speeds, above 50 mph, it was faded. So I decided to pull the speakers out and rework the install. I added some foam padding behind the ear holes to push the speakers out a little further and now I can ride with ear plugs and hear everything crystal clear while blocking most of the wind noise. I am still able to hear sirens/horns etc, albeit a little more muted with the ear plugs and the radio is just a soft subtle background noise. Voice conversations are also a little louder and I can hear and be understood without fail on a call.

The handle bar control allows you to cycle through your audio source and change the station/volume etc without looking at the handlebars. It does take a while to adjust to the longer thumb reach for the horn/blinker but after a few days even that is 2nd nature. The radio will cycle through stations and give you the call letters and the station number when it finds a signal. It does tend to pick up faint signals so it can be cumbersome seeking up or down if you have to go to one end of the dial or the other. My two stations are 90.3 and 104.5 and it allows me to go down until it picks back up at 107, so I get around it that way.

I plugged my FM transmitter onto the iphone and it picked up the signal fine if i kept the phone in my breast pocket, however when mounted on the Ram suction mount to the fabbri, it had a tendency to pick up a little static when I was in traffic or around power lines. I use the iphone as a speedo most of the time, so I just tend to listen to the radio.

The directions actually said to mount the microphone on the outside of the helmet, and while this worked fine, I looked like a moron. So I took the foam windscreen off of it and routed it up about an inch to the left of my mouth. I've found that this hides the mic well from the wind and provides great sound if on a call.

Sorry if this seems to ramble on, but in short I would give it a thumbs up. I assume that ymmv if your helmet is set up different and/or you don't have a windscreen installed.
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX

Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
UTC quote
Thanks for the report.
@jlb avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie

Molto Verboso
@jlb avatar
2007 Vespa GTS 250ie
UTC quote
How much?
OP
@fattymcgee avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500

Enthusiast
@fattymcgee avatar
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
It was $205. Plus shipping.
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
fattymcgee wrote:
Well I've had it installed now for about 2 weeks and, aside from a few small issues, I think it is worth the money.

My first issue has nothing to do with the Parrot, but with my iphone. It has bluetooth built in, but does not stream A2DP so I can't use the bluetooth music function. I hear that may change later with a software update on the iphone, but right now I just work around it with an fm tuner. It is not
ideal but it does work. I assume with other phones/gps it would work fine.

Hi, I'm wondering if you updated your iPhone software to 3.1 and whether the Parrot works for streaming music now. I'm also curious whether it responds to the voice commands.

Thanks for any info.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
I bought one 2 months ago. Like it but the handle bar control quit communicating this week. Replaced battery but that was not the problem. Looked at the messages on their site and this has been a common problem.

Many of the functions and settings can only be done from the remote so I can't listen to music without the remote. Hopefully they will replace.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I have had the SK4000 since last winter and just love it. I can't imagine long trips without it any more or any ride for that matter.

Wayne B
@rob_in_denver avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Mp3 500

Ossessionato
@rob_in_denver avatar
Mp3 500
UTC quote
No mention of rider to rider talk capabilities unless I am missing something?
With the interphones we use seemingly discontinued we keep our eyes out for new possibilities. Not this one apparently.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Rob,

You are correct, no ride to ride communications.

Wayne B
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0170s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]