OP
UTC

Piaggio BV 500

Piaggio BV 500
UTC quote
I've got a new (to me) BV 500 - I've had it a few weeks. I've fueled it
two or thee times now, and each time I've noticed that the fuel gauge reads about 3/4 full either right after filling or very soon after (within 10 miles).

I'm wondering if this is a fuel gauge issue, or if I'm actually not getting a full tank. Does anyone else have this problem with a BV 500? Is there a trick to getting the tank full?

I'm in California, where the gas pump nozzles have the big vapor recovery boots on them, and they won't pump if the boot isn't sealed to the tank, so maybe that's an issue?

Thanks,

Chris
@ummgood avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 BV500

Ossessionato
@ummgood avatar
2009 BV500
UTC quote
Re: Question about fueling a BV 500
cmoore wrote:
I've got a new (to me) BV 500 - I've had it a few weeks. I've fueled it
two or thee times now, and each time I've noticed that the fuel gauge reads about 3/4 full either right after filling or very soon after (within 10 miles).

I'm wondering if this is a fuel gauge issue, or if I'm actually not getting a full tank. Does anyone else have this problem with a BV 500? Is there a trick to getting the tank full?

I'm in California, where the gas pump nozzles have the big vapor recovery boots on them, and they won't pump if the boot isn't sealed to the tank, so maybe that's an issue?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris,

I have the same problem with mine. Even if I fill mine up to the point where the gas is at the top of the tank it only will show full for a few miles. I don't think the gauges are that accurate on scooters and it is probably a good idea to get used to your mileage and how far you can go mileage wise on a tank before a fill up. I get about 150 miles on mine before I fill it. (There is probably around .75 gallons left at that point)
@boxerdad avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV 500

Hooked
@boxerdad avatar
BV 500
UTC quote
The boot on the pump doesn't have to seal on anything but it does have to be pulled back a ways to get the pump to work. The fact that the filler is so low to the ground makes it more difficult than other bikes for me. I go about 160 miles and put in about 2.2 gal and the gauge shows close to empty. It is at least consistent.
@ummgood avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 BV500

Ossessionato
@ummgood avatar
2009 BV500
UTC quote
Wow you are getting amazing mileage on your BV500. I calculated mine and I get 52 and you are getting 71???

Are you stating imperial gallons?
@boxerdad avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV 500

Hooked
@boxerdad avatar
BV 500
UTC quote
I get about 68-70 mpg. My commute is 40 miles one way with stop and go only the last 6-8 miles. Constant speeds help mileage. Maybe I'm a bit lighter on the gas, who knows?
UTC

Lurker
many

Lurker
many
UTC quote
We have replaced or adjusted some fuel Gauge senders on the BV ( and Flys and Vespas too). There is a screw on the bottom that sometimes can be turned to properly calibrate the Gauge. Then there are the senders which flat out die, which we replace. To adjust you need to remove the fuel sender, really not a hard thing to do.
@pdxscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV500 - GTS250

Addicted
@pdxscoot avatar
BV500 - GTS250
UTC quote
My BV acts exactly the same as you report. I've gotten over it. I know that I can safely ride 140 miles per tank and I get 60+MPG
UTC

Hooked
BV 500

Hooked
BV 500
UTC quote
fuel gauge...
Same here on the fuel gauge dropping to 3/4 soon after filling. My mileage seems to hover around 55 with 60mpg a thing of the past.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
fuel sending unit??
I have a similar problem with my fuel gauge. Sometimes it goes all the way to empty and the out of gas light comes on even when I have a full tank of gas. If I turn the bike off and on, sometimes that clears this problem. Other times the gauge seems to be moving around a lot and it looks like the gauge is a little inaccurate. It looks like maybe the fuel sending unit is on its way out. I have downloaded the parts manual for my BV500 and do not see a fuel sending unit . I see the fuel pump and other parts, do I need to replace the fuel pump or just the sending unit? Where do I find the part number and given my description does the fuel sending unit sound like the problem?

Thanks for all your help.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Is there any feedback on the subject of the fuel sending unit?
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
While I've got the BV riders discussing refueling, DO NOT USE A MCCUFF WHEN REFUELING! I had a horrible fuel geyser experience when trying to refuel our shop BV500 with a mccuff. Fuel spewed out for a few seconds, ending with about a half gallon on the ground.

You can, however, pull the nozzle out a bit so that you can see the level in the tank (holding the vapor sleeve for those in CA) and fill it all the way to the top of the filler neck. I have had no issues doing this, and the fuel gauge goes the whole way up!
@catskill avatar
UTC

Addicted
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200

Addicted
@catskill avatar
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200
UTC quote
I've often wondered the same thing with the BV. I overfilled it once trying to get it as full as possible and the gage still read not full.

I only get about 50 miles to the gallon on my BV. Which, I think, totally sucks. I ride about 65 mph for 37 miles to and then from work...any suggestions?
@psyxonova avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio Beverly Cruiser 250ie

Hooked
@psyxonova avatar
Piaggio Beverly Cruiser 250ie
UTC quote
I can confirm that with a 2009 Beverly 250 model. The gauge shows full for a few kilometers and then it sticks to the middle for LOTS of kilometers. After that it goes down in a seemingly normal rate...
@bv avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio BV500

Hooked
@bv avatar
Piaggio BV500
UTC quote
My BV500 has the same problem with fuel gauge. The needle down to 3/4 after 10 miles with full tank. I see fuel gauge for BV500 is bad reading compare to my previous BV200 with very stable reading. I get 55 mpg for local street and 60 mpg for freeway riding. Very good scooter, still fall in love with it. Happy New Year to all of you and ride safety.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0190s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0108s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]