@snow_dog avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@snow_dog avatar
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
So yeah... I'm going to be going away to college next year, and I need something a little more powerful.

I konw this has probably been adressed like 42 times on here, but what are people's opinions on powerful scooters?

I need something that can maintain highway speeds with some ease. I am torn:

MP3 500:
-Stable.
-Cool.
-Expensive.

Scarabeo 500:
-Classic.
-Higher top speed.
-Cheaper.
-Not as stable, but those big wheels must count for something...

So even if someone could point me at another thread, that'd be great.
@awdnut avatar
UTC

MP3-500

@awdnut avatar
MP3-500
UTC quote
Re: MP3 500 vs. Scarabeo 500
Snow Dog wrote:
So yeah... I'm going to be going away to college next year, and I need something a little more powerful.

I konw this has probably been adressed like 42 times on here, but what are people's opinions on powerful scooters?

I need something that can maintain highway speeds with some ease. I am torn:

MP3 500:
-Stable.
-Cool.
-Expensive.

Scarabeo 500:
-Classic.
-Higher top speed.
-Cheaper.
-Not as stable, but those big wheels must count for something...

So even if someone could point me at another thread, that'd be great.
In winter/sloppy weather, I'll take the MP3 over any two wheeler.
@boxerdad avatar
UTC

Hooked
BV 500

Hooked
@boxerdad avatar
BV 500
UTC quote
While the 500's have plenty of power you can maintain highway speeds on a 250. Also the Beo doesn't have a lot of space under the seat compared to many other scooters. You may end up needing a top box. The MP3 400 has a lot.
OP
@snow_dog avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@snow_dog avatar
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Coming from Pittsburgh, the fact that an MP3 has three wheels will make it more of a year-round vehicle (which is what I intend on using it as).

How fast will a 250, 400, or 500 go:
-Uphill (for instance, my Fly 150 has a rated top speed of 60, can do 75+ downhill, but struggles to reach 40 up most hills on the interstate)?
-On a highway in Texas, where not only are other drivers maniacs, but the speed limit is 75?

And about storage, a top box is basically a requirement for me anyway, what with the books and everything else that I will be carrying back and forth.
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Ducati Supersport S, 2014 Kawasaki Concours

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
Snow Dog wrote:
Coming from Pittsburgh, the fact that an MP3 has three wheels will make it more of a year-round vehicle (which is what I intend on using it as).

How fast will a 250, 400, or 500 go:
-Uphill (for instance, my Fly 150 has a rated top speed of 60, can do 75+ downhill, but struggles to reach 40 up most hills on the interstate)?
-On a highway in Texas, where not only are other drivers maniacs, but the speed limit is 75?

And about storage, a top box is basically a requirement for me anyway, what with the books and everything else that I will be carrying back and forth.
Hi Snow Dog,

I have an MP3 250 and have been able to get it up to 75 mph on I-5 (major highway in California). Can keep up with traffic and pass cagers when they are driving too slow (I do have to ensure that I have enough room to get around them). As for storage...the 250/400 have lots of underseat/rear space (moreso than the 500)...I would suggest that you take the things you'd carry back and forth to school and see if it fits, then decide is you need a top case.
@quig avatar
UTC

Hooked
black GTS250 and Suzuki V-Strom

Hooked
@quig avatar
UTC quote
boxerdad wrote:
While the 500's have plenty of power you can maintain highway speeds on a 250. Also the Beo doesn't have a lot of space under the seat compared to many other scooters. You may end up needing a top box. The MP3 400 has a lot.
NOT true. It is the Piaggio BV500 that doesn't have under-seat storage. My Scarabeo 500 has room for a full-sized helmet under the seat.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
I have an MP3 400. When I enter the freeway I am up to 70 mph before I realize it. Going up the 405 over the Sepulveda Pass (7 percent grade) I can more than keep up with traffic - 65+ mph with power for passing. It's very stable, and will be more so when I get my Fabbri windscreen installed.
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper

Addicted
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper
UTC quote
I think either would be sweet. but seems like the snowbound peeps say the MP 3 . Makes sense that it would be more stable.
@edinbtr avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio MP3-500, Aprilia Mana 850, Aprilia SR 50 Factory

Addicted
@edinbtr avatar
Piaggio MP3-500, Aprilia Mana 850, Aprilia SR 50 Factory
UTC quote
I, like a number of other peeps on here, upgraded from the MP3-250 to the MP3-500 this past summer and, let me tell ya, there is no comparison! The MP3-500 is an entirely different animal. Initially, I was concerned with the smaller under seat storage space but added the 52 liter Givi top box and the Givi tunnel bag and can now carry all the junk from the 250 with room to spare. Last evening I went to Wal-Mart and brought home $106 worth of groceries on the 500 and that did not include any liquor, meat or pharmaceuticals. On the highway the MP3-500 is an absolute delight. I often ride with a large group of motorcyclists and all are amazed at the performance of the 500. As others have said, the MP3 platform is unsurpassed for stability, especially on less than ideal surfaces and weather. Plus, the styling of the MP3-500 just screams "What do you think of my scooter now, bitch!".

To take this one step further, I also own a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40 and a 2002 Honda Silver Wing. I haven't been on the Honda since mid-August. I rode the Suzuki a couple of weeks ago to take a "Ride Like A Pro" safety class, which is what I bought it for. If I drop it, the cost is WAAAAY less than if I were to drop the MP3. Other than that, the MP3 gets ALL of the action! I love that bike!

One final comment. My experience with the 500cc Piaggio engine was that, when new, the performance was less than stellar, when compared to the Honda Silver Wing. Having said that, the MP3-500 begins to wake up at around 1000 miles on the clock and seems to continue to get better up to around 3,000 miles, as reported by other owners. I am at 2500 miles on mine and loving each and every one of them.
@kermit avatar
UTC

Addicted
2007 Scarabeo 500ie

Addicted
@kermit avatar
2007 Scarabeo 500ie
UTC quote
Love, love, love, my Scarabeo 500! Lots of underseat storage, lots of power. If you haven't checked it out yet, go to the Aprilia forum for information on the Beo 500: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
bash
MP3 Accept no substitutes. The other one likes like a bicycle with an engine. Horrid in so many areas.
Billy-no-scoot
@apziskin avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET4

Hooked
@apziskin avatar
ET4
UTC quote
EdInBTR wrote:
. Last evening I went to Wal-Mart and brought home $106 worth of groceries on the 500 and that did not include any liquor, meat or pharmaceuticals.
Sounds like a wasted trip to me . . . Razz emoticon
OP
@snow_dog avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@snow_dog avatar
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
So what is the real power difference between a 400 and a 500? For a few hundred more, I kind of like the styling, and especially the extra power of, the 500, but the 400 has more storage, right?

Or should I just wait for this or another exotic MP3 iteration? Does anyone know the expected cost and top speed of this baby yet?

How is the gas mileage on everything? An MP3 is probably gonna burn more gas than a Scarabeo, but how much more? I'll be riding about half on the highway and half in town (by mileage), if it matters much.

One last thing. How can I justify the difference in cost, since I would be leaning toward the MP3?
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@spartan1984 avatar
UTC quote
Snow Dog wrote:
So what is the real power difference between a 400 and a 500? For a few hundred more, I kind of like the styling, and especially the extra power of, the 500, but the 400 has more storage, right?

Or should I just wait for this or another exotic MP3 iteration? Does anyone know the expected cost and top speed of this baby yet?

How is the gas mileage on everything? An MP3 is probably gonna burn more gas than a Scarabeo, but how much more? I'll be riding about half on the highway and half in town (by mileage), if it matters much.

One last thing. How can I justify the difference in cost, since I would be leaning toward the MP3?
Snow Dog,

I'm averaging 61 mpg on my MP3 250...yes the MP3 400 (and 250) have more storage space than the MP3 500, but you are correct, the styling is so sleek and devilish. I think it will come down to what purpose you'll use the bike for on your daily commute.
OP
@snow_dog avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@snow_dog avatar
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Hate to keep bumping this thread, but research is making my head spin with options, and I really don't want to clutter the forum with another thread.

Another concern I may have is wind. I figure that trucks will be passing me, no matter how fast I'm going. What with the wind, is there anything I can do to avoid being sucked under them and looking like a scooter pizza?

Doing more research, I came across the Mana 850. It's like a automatic/manual motorcycle, so I'd figure it's not too rude to mention it around here. The gas mileage is okay (around 45 miles to the gallon). It would definately be fast enough for me, and would maintain a lot of the simplicity of a scooter, while allowing me to also experiment with gears and things (of which I have always wanted to play with ever since the MSF course).

What would be best for daily in-town riding, but frequent (probably twice a month or so) rides out of town?

So basically, I am asking:

What to do about wind from passing motorists on the highway.
What bike should I look at more/what are people's experiences in my position with each?

Thanks for helping out...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Trucks won't pass you riding on a 500, no way. Anyway the wind of a truck passing you is no worse than the wind when you pass a truck...

The Mana is fine for anyone who is happy with a foot-brake as the rear brake. I chose the GP800, which has the rear-brake in the 'proper' place for an automatic bike. A lot comfier too!
OP
@snow_dog avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 Piaggio Fly 150

Enthusiast
@snow_dog avatar
2009 Piaggio Fly 150
UTC quote
Quote:
The Mana is fine for anyone who is happy with a foot-brake as the rear brake. I chose the GP800, which has the rear-brake in the 'proper' place for an automatic bike. A lot comfier too!
I wish we had the GP800s over here in the States .
@richie_c avatar
UTC

Hooked
vespa gt200, Aprilia Scarabeo 500 ABS

Hooked
@richie_c avatar
vespa gt200, Aprilia Scarabeo 500 ABS
UTC quote
That is a tough call. If you are into touring, comfort and riding long distances, go with the Scarabeo especially the classic 500GT. It has hard bags a top case and ABS.

If you want to be trendy and high tech then go with the MP3 500. The 3 wheels also count for something. And that is STABILITY.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
No extra stability, honest. Loads of extra grip at the front though.
@sethwas avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo

Hooked
@sethwas avatar
Aprilia Scarabeo
UTC quote
I'd like to think its more stable on rough roads, cobblestone, railroad tracks, and that extra grip is handy in gravel, slick roads, concrete, painted lines, etc.

Best bet is to ride them both. The mp3 lets you drive a little sloppier and that can be for better or worse.

I have a Scarabeo 250 and test rode the MP3 250 with intent to buy. The MP3 is a blast and has a smidge more storage if you include a top case. However the 100% price jump made the question moot.

Seth
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@quig avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@quig avatar
UTC quote
boxerdad wrote:
You are thinking of the 500GT Scarabeo, which they stopped making in 2006. I have a 2007 'Beo 500ie, which holds a lot more than a Vespa GTS does under the seat. My full-face large Shoie helmet fits, with room to spare.
@karmann avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Avio Grey GTV

Hooked
@karmann avatar
2007 Avio Grey GTV
UTC quote
Snow Dog wrote:
The difference in price between a 400 and 500 is only a few hundred like you said, but the difference between a 250 and 400 is significant. Ride the 250 - I think you'll like it. Either of the three is a significant leap from your Fly. You won't have a problem climbing hills on any of them.

You seem concerned with highway riding - are you going to be riding between Pittsburgh and Texas or just around campus with the occasional trips on the freeway?
@ummgood avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 BV500

Ossessionato
@ummgood avatar
2009 BV500
UTC quote
I have a BV500 which is similar to the Beo. My mileage is in my signature. Anyway I love my BV500. I think for me it came to was the 3rd wheel worth 3k to me? I said know but that is a decision you'll need to make on your own. I have no trouble getting up to 90 or 95 when I need to on the BV.

Another thing you need to think about over top speed is how fast you can get out of some cars way when they are trying to come into your lane. Sometimes the option is to brake which any bike can do efficiently. When braking isn't an option you might need to accelerate. A bike with a top speed of 75 is going to have a slower progression from 60 to 75 than a bike that has a top speed of 98.

I don't know but I would think the two wheel scoots would be slightly faster than the MP3 bikes because of the decreased weight. Can someone verify?
@ummgood avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 BV500

Ossessionato
@ummgood avatar
2009 BV500
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Trucks won't pass you riding on a 500, no way. Anyway the wind of a truck passing you is no worse than the wind when you pass a truck...
haha you have never been to Texas I take it?

It is common for them to do 80mph on major interstates.
@alexbv200 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.

Ossessionato
@alexbv200 avatar
2015 Sprint 150 ABS Yellow. 1974 Vespa Rally 200 White, non battery model.
UTC quote
ummgood wrote:
jimc wrote:
haha you have never been to Texas I take it?

It is common for them to do 80mph on major interstates.
I second that...
Crazy @$$ drivers...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0199s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0125s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]