@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Curious how indie mom and pop stores across the u.s are doing with the economic downturn as of late?

Seeing big stores like Mervyns, Circuit City, and others close/file chapter 11 makes me wonder.

And so...all the more reason to try and support your local fav. eatery, clothing shop, scooter store.

Ride your scoot (enjoy the lower gas prices for now), and hang tough...
@paperino avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 250 "Audrey"

Ossessionato
@paperino avatar
GTS 250 "Audrey"
UTC quote
My wife and I have a "Mom & Pop." We've been seeing 20 - 30% growth each month these 3 years in operation (part of the newbie curve, but good just the same). Our one "bad" month was this past Oct., same as last year's Oct. November is off to a good start. We have a home/pet (dog) mix. We are just coming into season, so it will be interesting to see how it works out. Snowbirds are returning and tourists will be here soon too. We're also lucky to be in a, dare I say, recession resistant area. Mom & Pops' best defense is service. We know our customers by name, fair pricing, extra personal touches. It's a cliche, but service with a smile. Old fashioned in a good way.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
i think restaurant are doing horribly. i can name 3 within 10 miles of me that have closed since september, and 1 more that is for sale. these were all places that have been around 10+ years.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
In constant state of flux...

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
It's a lot more complicated an issue than I'm willing to explore, but I'd bet most of these businesses shutting doors are doing so in part to any one or both of the following:

1. Over-saturation in the market (how does a Circuit city survive among the Best Buys, Walmarts, Targets and Costcos selling TVs, DVDs, cameras etc.? How many boutique/chain clothing stores like Forever 21, GAP, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, GUESS, Diesel, Banana Republic can survive an economic downturn sitting next to each other on the same high-rent block?)

2. Changing market/consumer habits (both the Ford and Hummer dealerships in my city have shut their doors)

I wish there was Vespa dealership less than 20 miles from my door, but I can understand why dealers are sensitive about other dealerships encroaching on their territory, good or bad customer service not withstanding. Putting Vespa dealerships in the category of "mom & pop" organizations, I hope they fare well.
@topskanker avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT200

Hooked
@topskanker avatar
GT200
UTC quote
When I heard Mother's Cookies shut down I just about had a conniption. No more frosted animal cookies! No more Taffy cookies! No more of those little chocolate sandwich cookies in the big mixed bag!...
@smrf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit

Molto Verboso
@smrf avatar
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit
UTC quote
WHAT???!! Now that's news to me, really...Mother's Cookies??

And scooter related...I do think with times like these customer service will keep customers... I'm considering whether to continue using my local dealer (they sell motorcycles and Vespa/Piaggios) where I bought my scoot or driving 30 miles over the hill to go to a Vespa only dealership for service. Knowledgable, friendly staff speaks volumes.
Topskanker wrote:
When I heard Mother's Cookies shut down I just about had a conniption. No more frosted animal cookies! No more Taffy cookies! No more of those little chocolate sandwich cookies in the big mixed bag!...
@lauri avatar
UTC

Hooked
2006 LX150

Hooked
@lauri avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Topskanker wrote:
NOOOOOOoooooooo!!!!!!! My dd loves those frosted animal cookies Crying or Very sad emoticon And she's 17.
OP
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Good insights robotribe.

Brings back memories of econ classes in business school.

Other factors:
* threat of new entrants. (e.g competitive analysis)
* bargaining power of suppliers.
* substitute goods. (e.g scooter/bus for cars).
* price elasticity ( i forget this one, and will have to look up).

How's biz with your t-shirts? Is fullfillment primarily through the web?

Best, Charles
robotribe wrote:
It's a lot more complicated an issue than I'm willing to explore, but I'd bet most of these businesses shutting doors are doing so in part to any one or both of the following:

1. Over-saturation in the market (how does a Circuit city survive among the Best Buys, Walmarts, Targets and Costcos selling TVs, DVDs, cameras etc.? How many boutique/chain clothing stores like Forever 21, GAP, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, GUESS, Diesel, Banana Republic can survive an economic downturn sitting next to each other on the same high-rent block?)

2. Changing market/consumer habits (both the Ford and Hummer dealerships in my city have shut their doors)

I wish there was Vespa dealership less than 20 miles from my door, but I can understand why dealers are sensitive about other dealerships encroaching on their territory, good or bad customer service not withstanding. Putting Vespa dealerships in the category of "mom & pop" organizations, I hope they fare well.
OP
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Indeed, that and oreo's would suck!

But for sure..the animal cookies rocked.

Reminds me to go and try to buy some if there are any left on the shelves
Topskanker wrote:
@sjberg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 2007 Daring Plum LX 150

Hooked
@sjberg avatar
2007 Sky Blue LX150, 2007 Daring Plum LX 150
UTC quote
I try to buy local and support our mom & pop's. When they are gone we will be at the mercy of the big box retailers (that survive) with no personal service, no "make it right" attitude and have unemployed neighbors and friends. That said, I recently had to buy a part that I could install. $150 + tax at local dealer or $100 online, free shipping and no tax. Whatya do? If the local guy could have given some and not tried to BS me about why his same part was better, I would have bought local.
People are hunkering down and foregoing/postponing buying things they don't need, some even those they do. That will dry up markets dependent on discretionary spending. The kicker is that the downward spiral is driven by non-consumption just the same as the upward spiral was propelled by spending that was fueled, in part, by escalating and artificial home "values" and easy credit.
We will get through this but it will be a rough ride. Support your local mom & pop's (who are reasonable) as much as you can.
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper

Addicted
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper
UTC quote
I believe that one thing that hurts the big stores, except Target and Wal-Mart, is over-building. Too many stores not enough cash to go around.
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
trowel and cuffs wrote:
I believe that one thing that hurts the big stores, except Target and Wal-Mart, is over-building. Too many stores not enough cash to go around.
Never liked Circuit City myself. Prices were not so great, plus they had this screwy strict return policy... Too many other big electronics stores operate more customer friendly, AFAIC...
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I work at a small toy store owned by a local couple (they also own one in another town). It's still going fairly slow for being November, but we do have an advantage of being one of the very few toy stores in town. We also try to carry a lot of stuff the big box stores don't... classic wooden toys, things without big company logos, etc.

The store has good days and bad days, but is overall pretty good. People may cut back a bit, but they're always going to buy toys for their kids (especially with the upcoming holidays). It also helps that we're right next door to a kid-friendly haircut place. Frequently, if little Billy or Suzie behaves for their haircut, they get to come next door to our store to pick out a reward toy. Usually nothing expensive, but you get a dozen or more of those kind of customers a day, and it does add up.

On the flip side, the owners' other store is in a touristy town up in the mountains. That store pretty much supports the other one in the summer. But once it starts getting cold, they don't do much business at all up there, even for Christmas.
OP
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Well said.

and to add re: the downward spiral. For as long as folks continue to loose their homes/foreclose, all the ancillary markets (e.g furnishings, tv, etc) are going to suffer. No house= no need to buy stuff for it.

Also, what really got us into this mess on top of people buying houses who couldn't afford their mortgage, was using their house's value (e.g equity) as an ATV machine to live beyond their means and buy all kinds of stuff for that lavish house.

Ugh...downward spiral for sure. It's a tangled mess for sure.
SJBerg wrote:
I try to buy local and support our mom & pop's. When they are gone we will be at the mercy of the big box retailers (that survive) with no personal service, no "make it right" attitude and have unemployed neighbors and friends. That said, I recently had to buy a part that I could install. $150 + tax at local dealer or $100 online, free shipping and no tax. Whatya do? If the local guy could have given some and not tried to BS me about why his same part was better, I would have bought local.
People are hunkering down and foregoing/postponing buying things they don't need, some even those they do. That will dry up markets dependent on discretionary spending. The kicker is that the downward spiral is driven by non-consumption just the same as the upward spiral was propelled by spending that was fueled, in part, by escalating and artificial home "values" and easy credit.
We will get through this but it will be a rough ride. Support your local mom & pop's (who are reasonable) as much as you can.
OP
@bluebuddha avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Kitted ET4.

Molto Verboso
@bluebuddha avatar
Kitted ET4.
UTC quote
Nice one witch.

You're on the money. Find the niche market, and people will continue to support ya. And yes, location is key.

Hang tough, and hope the holidays are good.

Snow season will be fun!
Witch wrote:
I work at a small toy store owned by a local couple (they also own one in another town). It's still going fairly slow for being November, but we do have an advantage of being one of the very few toy stores in town. We also try to carry a lot of stuff the big box stores don't... classic wooden toys, things without big company logos, etc.

The store has good days and bad days, but is overall pretty good. People may cut back a bit, but they're always going to buy toys for their kids (especially with the upcoming holidays). It also helps that we're right next door to a kid-friendly haircut place. Frequently, if little Billy or Suzie behaves for their haircut, they get to come next door to our store to pick out a reward toy. Usually nothing expensive, but you get a dozen or more of those kind of customers a day, and it does add up.

On the flip side, the owners' other store is in a touristy town up in the mountains. That store pretty much supports the other one in the summer. But once it starts getting cold, they don't do much business at all up there, even for Christmas.
@aggieknit avatar
UTC

Hooked
GT 200

Hooked
@aggieknit avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
I'm so sorry to hear about Mother's Cookies. I grew up on them. I loved the taffy ones, and the oatmeal ones which had no resemblence to any other oatmeal cookies, but still. Our mom would limit us to 3 cookies, so we naturally wanted big ones. We'd dunk them in milk. I don't think we ever had Oreos growing up.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
bluebuddha wrote:
How's biz with your t-shirts? Is fullfillment primarily through the web?
Good. Brick and mortar rule over internet, which was to be expected.
UTC

Hooked
2007 px200 1968 rally 180 1960 Li150 s2

Hooked
2007 px200 1968 rally 180 1960 Li150 s2
UTC quote
recessions stop people from spending money on crap they dont need such as huge lcd tv`s gas guzzling cars gambling etc weeds out unnecessary spending back to the essentials my generation have had it so good for so long now they arent used to having to scrimp save and do it "tough" so many young people live way beyond their means, racking up huge credit card debts and applying for loans they cant afford....if you dont have the money dont buy it.....its that simple. this entire economic crises was caused by banks loaning money to anybody with a pulse regardless of their ability to pay the money back.
@dillinger-63 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Had 2 2006 GTS 250ie's

Ossessionato
@dillinger-63 avatar
Had 2 2006 GTS 250ie's
UTC quote
chad wrote:
i think restaurant are doing horribly. i can name 3 within 10 miles of me that have closed since september, and 1 more that is for sale. these were all places that have been around 10+ years.
My wife and I went to Olive Garden last Thursday around 5:30 pm. We had a 30 minute wait, on a Thursday which is supposed to be one of the slowest nights. When the manager walked around all the tables to check in on the food and service I asked him how business was and he said " Crazy busy, want a job?" On a side note I see where McDonald's is considering increasing their dollar menu.
@volosong avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500

Molto Verboso
@volosong avatar
2010 GTS 300, 2008 MP3 500
UTC quote
Was listening to a podcast on the way to work this morning put out by Clark Howard, (consumer advocate and financial guru). He was talking about Circuit City and the idiotic actions of the previous CEO. Clark said that the CEO fired all of the long-time, experienced employees and managers in an attempt to cut expenses. Basically, he fired all the knowledgeable, loyal employees that are the heart and soul of any company. Of course, customers now obtaining substandard service, they took their business elsewhere.

Treat your employees honorably and your customers as your boss and your company will thrive and succeed. The dealership where I purchased my Vespa runs his business this way, and he is one of the most successful Vespa dealerships in the nation.
@boondocks avatar
UTC

Hooked
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)

Hooked
@boondocks avatar
black 09 GTS 250 Super "Miranda", 05 Stella (sold)
UTC quote
I'm showing my age, but I remember a candy store on nearly every corner (this is before I moved to the Boondocks, then living in east coast mid-size towns). For a nickel to a quarter you could get stuff like wax things that looked like old coke bottles about three, four inches long- you bit into them and they were filled with syrup. Or balsa wood planes, or rubber band planes, kites, etc. One place sold milkshakes like in the fifties soda-jerk style, except it was now the early-mid sixties. There was a butcher shop with sawdust dumped on the floor which I liked to push around while my mother haggled prices. The hardware stores were small dark places with creaking wood floors and many isles of buckets and trays filled, in endless rows with bolts and nails.

These days I try to support local business but this means going to Ace Hardware instead of Home Depot, and a smaller scoot shop that is 25 miles away instead of one that is 60 miles away but much larger. My wife has things better put together. She is head of and runs a local food co-op. She buys bulk food like grain and veggies, sometimes beef and bison that is grown within 100 miles by small farmers. Sometimes she has to stretch the distance a bit, but the food is the best I've ever eaten.

So there are ways to fight back. Her blog is http://www.lovelandlocal.blogspot.com
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
i support local mom and pops as much as i can (bought eggs from a farmer yesterday), but 9 times out of 10, everything they sell is made in china as well. i've never been in the local guy hardware store that had plastic tubs made in indiana or lightbulbs made in des moines.
@coprock avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS, 2006 Kymco 150, '53 Blue Sparkle Gretsch, '66 Rogers Red/Black Onyx

Hooked
@coprock avatar
UTC quote
Unfortunately, there is still a Hummer dealer in Pasadena.

I will miss those frosted animal cookies...my waistline will not.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
coprock wrote:
Unfortunately, there is still a Hummer dealer in Pasadena.
If you're talking about the one next to Target on Colorado near Madre Ave., maybe it's been a while since you've been by there. Two weekends ago I saw a whole lot of asphalt on a very empty dealer lot.
@coprock avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@coprock avatar
UTC quote
Team Hummer? I always thought that was an interesting name. Looked in business last night while I was enjoying a mai tai at Fu Shing across the street, however I could be wrong.

I do frequently find myself racing hummers from stop light to stop light.
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
Topskanker wrote:
+1 (only i liked the coconut and the oatmeal cookies.)
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@vespa_auntie avatar
UTC quote
trowel and cuffs wrote:
lots of walmart commercials on tv lately.
@robotribe avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@robotribe avatar
UTC quote
coprock wrote:
Team Hummer? I always thought that was an interesting name. Looked in business last night while I was enjoying a mai tai at Fu Shing across the street, however I could be wrong.

I do frequently find myself racing hummers from stop light to stop light.
Maybe they were moving their inventory around two weekends ago, but I did notice it enough to announce it to my wife when I got home ("Guess what, honey...HUMMER has left the building!").

There was a lone, white Hummer H3 sitting there all lonely-like. Seemed like the Hyundai part of the dealership was still going though.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Heh! you wipper snappers don't know nothin about hard times.. Now the recession of '81, how THAT was a recession! ('pounds cane on the ground twice for emphasis)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0353s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0137s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]