OP
UTC

Hooked
ET2, ET4, in Mexico GTS-250 in Ca

Hooked
UTC quote
My ET4 electrical system just gave up. When I turn the key on the oil light will come on and that is all. When I put the brake on to try and start the motor the oil light dims and almost goes out. This is before I touch the starter button. It is like there is a short in the system. None of the dash lights come on when I turn the key on and the security light never comes on with the ignition switch on or off. The headlights do not come on with the ignition on. I removed the starter relay out to see if that was the problem and nothing changes. The oil light is on then dims, etc. I need help trying to trouble shoot this since I am in Mexico and the closest dealer is a long distance away. The whole system crashed when I was trying to start the engine. One other thing, the battery is new.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'm assuming you've checked all fuses, and checked the battery negative has a good solid connection to the frame. I'm also assuming you've just charged the battery.

You say the battery is new - how new, and was it given a good forming charge before being first used to start the scooter? If a couple of months, and not given that forming charge, it may now be duff. I learnt the hard way too, some years ago.

Try jump-starting from a car battery, if that works then you have a bad battery.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ET4Electrical Problem
The battery is less than a year old and it was given a good forming charge. I am just starting to check the fuses, problem is I don't know where they all are located. The one in the battery compartment is good. I guess it could be a bad battery and I will swap on out of my Yamaha Zuma and try that. Could you please tell me where and how many fuses I need to check? Are all the fuses accessible without removing the glove box? Also want to tell you that the starter relay was the problem on the ET2. Thanks for your help.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
ET4 Electrical Problem
Jim, your were right on again. When I took the battery out and hooked jumper cables directly to the ET4, it started right up. The battery is going back to the place where I bought it less than a year ago first thing tomorrow. I charged it twice and never though it could be the problem. If you ever get to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico you get a choice to ride an ET4, ET2, or Yamaha Zuma for as long as you are here.

One other thing, did you here about the jumper cable that went into a bar and ordered a drink. The bartender gave him a drink but told him not to try and start anything.........
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Well found - if the battery is less than a year old it should have factory warranty (via the dealer).

However, do check the charging system - if the regulator has a fault that can knacker batteries too, so do check with the new battery that it doesn't get over-charged (not a common problem on the 125's, I admit!).
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0039s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]