@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2008 Teal LX125 ... 2007 Red LX150 ... 2010 Yellow LX125ie

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
From the main highway, the road to my house is very rough, broken concrete, mud and rocks and it's all uphill for about half a mile.

For the past week, I have been posing as a tourist and riding a 2007 Yamaha Nouvo I rented from our local scooter rental company http://www.bviscooters.com/ in order to gain experience before I take my scooter test. (I already passed the MSF course in Florida but it means nothing here.)

This little scoot handles the terrain well, but I am a little worried about my LX with the much smaller but far more stable wheels/tires. I imagine I will likely go through tires fairly quickly as a result of the poor quality roads. Are there any specific tires you might recommend which will handle the punishment from these roads?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by TrafficJammer on UTC; edited 1 time
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Heidenau K58's. I've ridden on similar roads with them and Sava's....a HUGE difference! Knowing your terrain I think you'd be pleased. I just got a new rear for the spring 140/70-12's. Not cheap and as usual you'll get whacked on the shipping!
Crying or Very sad emoticon

edit: I just noticed you have an LX I'm not sure of the size or availability...

email John he is good about responding!

John Bettencourt
448 E. Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113
Tuesday-Friday, 10-6pm PST
Saturday, 10-4pm PST
1-408-295-3004

www.moto-amore.com
motoamore@hotmail.com
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Thanks louisq ... does anyone else have any other recommendations?
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
Thanks louisq ... does anyone else have any other recommendations?
You're welcome....likely no other opinions since you already have the definitive answer.... Razz emoticon Laughing emoticon
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
e:mail has been sent to John asking for recommendations! Once again, thanks!
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Nope I'd say K58 too
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Hmmmm ... I looked at my scoot and see it was shipped with 120/70-10 tires. On the Heidenau web site http://www.reifenwerk-heidenau.de/ I found what I think are the right tires but as I don't speak German (at all) I am not positive I have the right one. Does anyone speak German?

Is this it? Part # 11120066 110/70 - 11 45M TL K58

Since I have no idea how tires are sized, I have no clue if this is the item I need to order or not. Does anyone know for sure?
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Front tyre dimensions: K58 110/70-11 - $51.00
Rear tyre dimensions: K62 120/70-10 - $55.00

looks like, from John's product pages and confirming with http://www.Reifenwerk-Heidenau.de/index.html, the above combination is what is available. That would work for me....I'm certain you'll hear from John soon....

from German site:

Vespa LX 50/125
110/70 - 11 45M TL K58
110/70 - 11 45M TL K61
120/70 - 10 54M Rf. TL K61
120/70 - 10 54M Rf. TL K62
@oscillator avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@oscillator avatar
1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
That road doesn't look so bad.

Only 1/2 mile? Uphill???

Tire won't make much difference -- just lay off the rear brake and you'll be fine.

\osc
⬆️    About 7 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Well it didn't take long to trash my Pirellis on our roads! 2,500 miles and I have just sent off an order to John for a few Heidenau K62's for the rear and a couple K58's for the front ... as John recommended back in November!

Had the rear tire plugged this morning. Hopefully, the plug will last as long as it takes to get the new tires! Shipping will be a bit pricey ... but what can you do? The price of living in paradise! Sigh emoticon
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
You probably need to look at ya shocks as well . Its not just the bounce on your arse but the weight of the scoot on your tyres........ Boing bang boing
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

K58s pale in light of THIS! Razz emoticon
⚠️ Last edited by windbreaker on UTC; edited 1 time
@bvbob avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan

Molto Verboso
@bvbob avatar
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
In my neck of the woods that would be considered a "recently paved" road. My street, according to my older neighbors, hasn't been paved in over 30 years... and it snows here!
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
T5bitsa69 wrote:
You probably need to look at ya shocks as well . Its not just the bounce on your arse but the weight of the scoot on your tyres........ Boing bang boing
Yeah well, the shocks are just nicely broken in! I think they can wait a little while before needing to be replaced. I'll have Wink take a look at them when he changes the tire.
OP
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@trafficjammer avatar
UTC quote
Vic Mackey wrote:
In my neck of the woods that would be considered a "recently paved" road. My street, according to my older neighbors, hasn't been paved in over 30 years... and it snows here!
Our road was paved in 1982. Hasn't been touched since ... and we get hurricanes and tropical storms with torrents of water ... as well as earthquakes here! Laughing emoticon

I want to thank LouisQ for putting me on to John at Moto Amore. Very nice, helpful fellow! I asked him if the tire pressures should be the same as that recommended in the owner's manual and he said he personally uses just over 30 psi (31 to 33 psi) in the rear tire and up to 30 psi in the front. He mentioned that it drives him crazy that people follow the owner's manual blindly, instead of tailoring the tire pressure to their personal preferences and their road conditions.

He said that tires are manufactured to take far more PSI than that recommended in the owner's manual and that it will not hurt the tire in the least to increase the PSI if you feel like it. The only thing that will really hurt the tire is under inflating it.

I was really happy to hear that because I felt that 29/23 in my Pirellis was too low but was one of those who blindly followed the owner's manual. Yesterday, after speaking with John, I pulled out my portable pump (that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter) and increased the pressure in the rear to 31 and the front to 28. I LOVE the way the scooter handles. It's much, much easier to "flick" now!

Just thought I would pass that bit of info along as I had no idea that it was OK to increase the PSI if you wanted to. I'm looking forward to getting the Heidenau's to see what (if any) difference the tires make to the way the scooter rides and handles.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
I want to thank LouisQ for putting me on to John at Moto Amore. Very nice, helpful fellow!
You're welcome! It wil be interesting to read your reports. You are one intrepid rider....there were moments when I was terrified on your roads in a cage! Wha? emoticon Please keep us in the loop on your tire experiences!

John is one helpful guy. I've only gotten three tires from him, and his support was peerless. I only wish he were close enough to use for servicing all my scooter needs!

Regards,

Tom
@windbreaker avatar
UTC

Banned

Banned
@windbreaker avatar
UTC quote
TrafficJammer wrote:
Vic Mackey wrote:
Our road was paved in 1982. Hasn't been touched since ... and we get hurricanes and tropical storms with torrents of water ... as well as earthquakes here! Laughing emoticon

I want to thank LouisQ for putting me on to John at Moto Amore. Very nice, helpful fellow! I asked him if the tire pressures should be the same as that recommended in the owner's manual and he said he personally uses just over 30 psi (31 to 33 psi) in the rear tire and up to 30 psi in the front. He mentioned that it drives him crazy that people follow the owner's manual blindly, instead of tailoring the tire pressure to their personal preferences and their road conditions.

He said that tires are manufactured to take far more PSI than that recommended in the owner's manual and that it will not hurt the tire in the least to increase the PSI if you feel like it. The only thing that will really hurt the tire is under inflating it.

I was really happy to hear that because I felt that 29/23 in my Pirellis was too low but was one of those who blindly followed the owner's manual. Yesterday, after speaking with John, I pulled out my portable pump (that plugs into my car's cigarette lighter) and increased the pressure in the rear to 31 and the front to 28. I LOVE the way the scooter handles. It's much, much easier to "flick" now!

Just thought I would pass that bit of info along as I had no idea that it was OK to increase the PSI if you wanted to. I'm looking forward to getting the Heidenau's to see what (if any) difference the tires make to the way the scooter rides and handles.
I fully agree with John on that higher tire pressure is not harmful in general. One needs to put it in perspective, though, and I would not say that in general for a car tire. For a modern scooter tire, it will wear the tire on an even smaller band than if driven at standard pressure, so you may want to keep that in mind.

Also, increased pressure may make the tire last longer on your specifically rough roads, but you will also bounce more and have less of road contact as a result, which means your road holding deteriorates. For best road contact on your roads (and in sand), it is advisable to under inflate your tire--within reason, of course! This is not practical, as you would have to re-inflate once back on a normal road, but it demonstrates the possible effects of over vs. under inflation there.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0191s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]