@ro22 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 vespa gts 250ie, 2005 BMW R1200GS

Enthusiast
@ro22 avatar
UTC quote
I've now had my GTS for a year, logged nearly 3000 miles, taken it to the shop at 600 miles for the initial service and a second time for a new rear tire.
Modifications are limited to LV exhaust, vespa flyscreen, jettin 15oz barends with CRG hindsight mirrors and Line EX applied to the floorboards.
My question to other GTS owners is. How many trouble free miles have you ridden?
Had any major problems? if so what was it?
Can I expect many more miles without issues? provided I follow the recommended maintenance.
I'm trying to decide if I should keep my Vespa or sell it and get a new honda or kawasaki 230/250 super motard for my city riding that I can get serviced locally if/when needed.
I'd hate to get rid of the vespa but if/when service is required it's 100 miles away.
your experience is?
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Learn to do your own maintenance if you are at all mechanically inclined.

With the exception of the first 600 mile service, I've done all the scheduled maintenance (according to the workshop manual) myself, with the purchase of less than $350 worth of tools. The only job I cannot do is mount tires on my rims. I've got ~20,000 miles on an 18 month old GTS.
@michaelsvespa avatar
UTC

Hooked
gts 250

Hooked
@michaelsvespa avatar
gts 250
UTC quote
i have over 41K miles, the water pump went, thats about it.still on original variator and clutch. lots of rear tires,lol
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper

Addicted
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper
UTC quote
Re: GTS250ie mileage, longevity, problems?
ro22 wrote:
I've now had my GTS for a year, logged nearly 3000 miles, taken it to the shop at 600 miles for the initial service and a second time for a new rear tire.
Modifications are limited to LV exhaust, vespa flyscreen, jettin 15oz barends with CRG hindsight mirrors and Line EX applied to the floorboards.
My question to other GTS owners is. How many trouble free miles have you ridden?
Had any major problems? if so what was it?
Can I expect many more miles without issues? provided I follow the recommended maintenance.
I'm trying to decide if I should keep my Vespa or sell it and get a new honda or kawasaki 230/250 super motard for my city riding that I can get serviced locally if/when needed.
I'd hate to get rid of the vespa but if/when service is required it's 100 miles away.
your experience is?
Hey! do you have to come up to Tuscaloosa for service? My GTS made it 349 miles before it had problems. I have heard that some tires wear really quickly. maybe check around for a better tire. But with exception of the thermostat problem mine runs great, and I have read others who have had many ,many problem free miles.

check this out:
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic37742
OP
@ro22 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@ro22 avatar
UTC quote
trowel and cuffs
I was not aware of vespa service in T-Town I've used Bogarts in B'Ham.
My intent is to do my own service as per the service manual but if I get into something I can't handle it's nice to have professional help nearby.
I'm counting on loads of trouble free miles like my BMW.
@cincinnati_john avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone

Ossessionato
@cincinnati_john avatar
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone
UTC quote
I've had my GTS 15 months, put 4200 miles on it so far. Apart from scheduled maintenance, I've had the tail light assembly come apart at 200 miles, the water temp sensor go bad at 1000 miles, the spark plug wire work loose from the plug boot at 2050 miles, the immobilizer antenna go bad at 3600 miles, and the spark plug foul at 4100 miles. I'd like to think all the "infant mortalities" are behind me. I've grown attached to that little machine, and I intend to keep it. Apart from mounting tires, I do my own work.
@hawgklr avatar
UTC

Hooked
Excalibur!

Hooked
@hawgklr avatar
Excalibur!
UTC quote
Here's a couple of things to consider...IMHO, no 4-stroke 250cc on the market outperforms or gets better mileage than the GTS. Unfortunately, right now isn't the time to consider selling...Depressed gas prices and the gastrointestinal rumblings of a U.S.-spec 300ie have beaten up the GTS's resale value.
Hang on for awhile...they are mostly reliable...the market will come back.

Good Luck!
@halvorv avatar
UTC

Vespa 250 GTS

@halvorv avatar
Vespa 250 GTS
@witch avatar
UTC

Moderatrice Strega

Moderatrice Strega
@witch avatar
UTC quote
I just got my GTV, so I can't honestly speak for Vespa's 244cc engine, but I haven't heard of any frequent major breakdowns from anyone yet.

The longest I've had a scoot was for 16,000 miles. That was a heavily engine-modified 50cc 2-stroke. It had plenty of life left in it, and I did minimal maintanence. I can imagine the GTS engine would beat the pants off of it as far as longevity. I'll have to wait and see for myself.
UTC

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.
UTC quote
Dont know
How long your commute is, but at 3000 miles in a year, your GTS should last decades.
The autos do need more servicing than say a PX but they go faster too in standard trim. If you want stone age maintenance requirements PX's rule!!!!!!
The Kwacka/Suzi motards will be old hat in 2 years max, with respect Vespas ARE pure class and cult vehicles, the others are just transport.
I hope I havent risen to a "flame" post.
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
UTC quote
My experiences with a GTS:

Two belts, one pulley assembly.
Seat latch, covered under warranty.
Wonky seat due to lose rivets, , hopefully warranty replacement soon.
Elevation issue, dealer couldnt figure out why.
Wire harness short due to factory. repaired with blessing from the dealer.
Week charging electrical system.

Just hit 12000 miles, owned the scoot for a little over a year (literally, one year and 10 plus days).
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@michael_moore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)

Molto Verboso
@michael_moore avatar
GTS(me)/GTV(wife)
UTC quote
10K+ miles in 15 months' riding, and other than a small gas tank leak fixed under warranty no issues at all; it runs like a champ.

Of course there are tires and oil changes...
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
these are very tough little machines.....

and are built to last...

Mine still runs as new after 23k miles...just belts rollers and tires...., oh and a fuel sensor.

3k miles....barely broken in....

R

8)
@sfarchie avatar
UTC

Addicted
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter

Addicted
@sfarchie avatar
'08 GTS 250i.e., 1/2 '58 Allstate (RIP), '09 Ducati M1100S (rolly polly'd), '10 Ducati Streetfighter
UTC quote
When I got my Monster, I was thinking I wouldn't need my GTS anymore. Wrong! I'm keeping my GTS for short errands since a motorcycle has zero storage, when I just don't want to shift through stop and go traffic, and when I have gimpy friends who can ride a shifty.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0182s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0088s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]