@bijol avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2003 Alabaster ET4

Enthusiast
@bijol avatar
2003 Alabaster ET4
UTC quote
Well, guys (and gals), after much consideration and thought, and after one spill and countless close calls...I've decided to return to the safety of a car.

I initially bought my scooter to commute to school, but after taking a nasty fall after being hit by a public bus, I have reconsidered heavily staying within the Vespa community.

After the accident, I gave myself a couple of "dealing with the fear" rides, and each one turned out to be worse than the other. I just got off the ET4, and 2 different drivers tried to run me off the road, and another ran a stop sign in front of me. The funny part is that I was taking the scoot to the body shop to get it re-painted. Enough thrills for me...

Maybe Puerto Rico isn't the best place to scoot around. Millions of cars in a 100mi by 35mi island, the largest cell phone density in the western hemisphere, and a recent boom in scoot sales all add up to scooter hating cagers. Whenever I see a scooterist now, I think that the "shiny side up" is up just on pure luck.

Yes, I feel like a wuss for quitting on something I've grown to love, and I learned A LOT along the way, especially on MC safety and proper riding gear. None of that helps when you're not enjoying the ride because you get flashbacks of pulling your girl's sleeve from under a bus.

So, my ET4 goes on sale after it's painted. I'll be posting pics of the all the chrome, goodies, and custom paint I've planned for it. I enjoy tinkering with it a lot, but as for riding it, I seem to be hating it more after each ride. I aske myself the one question Lomunchi posted the other day: "If it keeps me up at night, don't do it", and the answer is "Yes, it keeps me up every night.."

I still plan to keep my Stella. It's 2 stroke, shifting and look, plus the fact that it's a Fireball (#32 of 150), make scooting a lot more fun. As for commuting, running around town doing errands, and taking an occasional ride on Sundays with my g'friend...I don't think I'll be riding for a looooong while.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, it's truly an honor being part of such a large and diverse community of people with one thing in common, but for the meanwhile, or until I move to somewhere with fewer cars, count me out...
@nukie avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club

Addicted
@nukie avatar
GTS250 "Atomic Blast", GT200 Blue and White "Alfie", SQREAM Scooter Club
UTC quote
Sorry to hear the scooter did not work out for you. Thanks for sharing your experiences on this board!
@jrsjr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Nazgul

Molto Verboso
@jrsjr avatar
Nazgul
UTC quote
Re: Back to being a cager...
Bijol wrote:
After the accident, I gave myself a couple of "dealing with the fear" rides, and each one turned out to be worse than the other. I just got off the ET4, and 2 different drivers tried to run me off the road, and another ran a stop sign in front of me. The funny part is that I was taking the scoot to the body shop to get it re-painted. Enough thrills for me...
Yep, it sounds like time to go back to driving a car for a while. I once had an extemely realistic dream in which I found out that I died in a motorcycle crash. In the stupid dream, I even found out the date of the accident. I said to heck with it and parked the bike until after that date. My message? Obey your intuition! And your intuition is talking to you loud and clear. Nobody here thinks any the less of you for it.
@elvis avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX150

@elvis avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
I'm stepping it up...
Instead of dragging along full throttle and getting passed up I'm ditching my Vespa and going to get a "real" motorbike...looking at new Triumph Bonneville all black. Cars suck I'm selling my car too if someone is interested in a 99 VW Passat let me know
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Good to hear you are being reasonable. I think you gave it every chance you could.

My partner lived in PR for 2 years for school and he said the traffic (he was in in San Juan) was insane. He said he'd never drive there, much less ride a scooter or bicycle. He said the people are really friendly but that crazy driving is the norm. Be careful on that Fireball!
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
Thanks for your honesty and sharing your experiences.
Farewell, good luck.
@zippityjacks avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Thank you Christina -- 2005 ET4 with Flames

Molto Verboso
@zippityjacks avatar
Thank you Christina -- 2005 ET4 with Flames
UTC quote
Re: Back to being a cager...
jrsjr wrote:
Bijol wrote:
Yep, it sounds like time to go back to driving a car for a while. I once had an extemely realistic dream in which I found out that I died in a motorcycle crash. In the stupid dream, I even found out the date of the accident. I said to heck with it and parked the bike until after that date. My message? Obey your intuition! And your intuition is talking to you loud and clear. Nobody here thinks any the less of you for it.
Scarry, I thought I was the only one who had dreams like that "with dates included"
@mjb2448 avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@mjb2448 avatar
LX150
UTC quote
Maybe you'd have better luck if you scraped off that JETS decal and replace it with the SHARKS.....
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0162s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]