OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
My fingers were still hurting today, from the struggle of changing out the six grommets, to install my Fabbri, last weekend. I paid a visit to my Piaggio Dealer. Just thought I would check into the cost of ordering six more, so I would not have to change them back and forth.
I was surprised to see that they were only $1.00 each, and that, included shipping. They will have them for me in a few days. In case anyone else needs six extra ones my dealer is :
American Biker of Charleston.
Their phone number is (843) 573-0600
The Part number is : PG576565
The Description is "Grommet for Windscreen".
I also noted that they have (2) 2009 MP-3 500's (one Red and one black) and a Blue 2008 MP-3 400, in stock.
@jacq avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1093
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Molto Verboso
@jacq avatar
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1093
Location: Austin, Texas
UTC quote
Oh honey, I used needle plyers to push the grommets into place. My tiny little delicate digits couldn't possibly persuade those big ole honkin grommets to pop into place...I have to use the plyers to persuade'em in there.

Good news on the locating those buggers...Be nice to you fingers, honey....
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
Jacq wrote:
Oh honey, I used needle plyers to push the grommets into place. My tiny little delicate digits couldn't possibly persuade those big ole honkin grommets to pop into place...I have to use the plyers to persuade'em in there.

Good news on the locating those buggers...Be nice to you fingers, honey....
Two Questions:
1. Are you as big a Longhorn Fan as I am?
2. Have you ridden your MP-3 thru the curves of 2222 going west to the lake?
@jacq avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1093
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Molto Verboso
@jacq avatar
Willow Rouge: Excaliber Silver MP3 250 VIN 3288
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1093
Location: Austin, Texas
UTC quote
If you like 2222, then you'd love the shady lanes in Westlake Dr, Toro Canyon, Travis Cook Rd....... The hills are beautiful, curvy, ups and downs with twists.
You gotta come home, man....

Longhorns,,,,,well, let's just say that if you live in Austin, you better like Burnt Orange, because it is literally Everywhere....Cars, Businesses, 18 wheeler cabs, house, horses, scooters....Everywhere...
The team is pretty good this year, fun games to watch....
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
Jacq wrote:
If you like 2222, then you'd love the shady lanes in Westlake Dr, Toro Canyon, Travis Cook Rd....... The hills are beautiful, curvy, ups and downs with twists.
You gotta come home, man....

Longhorns,,,,,well, let's just say that if you live in Austin, you better like Burnt Orange, because it is literally Everywhere....Cars, Businesses, 18 wheeler cabs, house, horses, scooters....Everywhere...
The team is pretty good this year, fun games to watch....
The only thing better than winning the National Championship, this year, would be to see the Heisman Trophy Winning "Colt McCoy" to play quarterback in that billion dollar stadium, in Arlington, in a couple of years.
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
This thread started out with the pain of my wimpy fingers, absent brain which overlooks needle nose and the pursuit of cheap grommets. Somehow, homesickness led to football...sorry.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1328
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1328
Location: Louisville, KY
UTC quote
Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
I ordered an extra set of grommetts and spacers as well when I put on a GIVI windscreen. In the spring I will be going back to the stock screen. Just a word of caution though, be certain to order the spacers that go inside the grommetts. and be aware that there are two differnet lengths for them. The 2 short sleeves go into the bottom grommetts and the 4 longer sleeves go into the side grommetts. Failure to properly place the spacers may cause the screen to crack and will make screw insertion a bit more difficult.
@ponydrvr avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Honda CTX 700D
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1328
Location: Louisville, KY
 
Molto Verboso
@ponydrvr avatar
Honda CTX 700D
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1328
Location: Louisville, KY
UTC quote
Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
I ordered an extra set of grommetts and spacers as well when I put on a GIVI windscreen. In the spring I will be going back to the stock screen. Just a word of caution though, be certain to order the spacers that go inside the grommetts. and be aware that there are two differnet lengths for them. The 2 short sleeves go into the bottom grommetts and the 4 longer sleeves go into the side grommetts. Failure to properly place the spacers may cause the screen to crack and will make screw insertion a bit more difficult.
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1123
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1123
Location: Dallas, TX
UTC quote
If I am understanding what you are talking about (the bolts that hold the Piaggio diverter) you can go to a good hardware store (Elliott's in Dallas) and find ones that fit with washers, spacers, etc., in all lengths. The cost is about 30 cents each at most, you don't have to wait for shipping. The only difference is head size. The Piaggio ones take a 4mm wrench. The ones in the store require a 6mm. The wrench costs about $1.50. Just be sure to check the threads. Take one into the store with you.

And I am as big a UT fan as anyone. I went to law school there - long ago.
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
ponydrvr wrote:
I ordered an extra set of grommetts and spacers as well when I put on a GIVI windscreen. In the spring I will be going back to the stock screen. Just a word of caution though, be certain to order the spacers that go inside the grommetts. and be aware that there are two differnet lengths for them. The 2 short sleeves go into the bottom grommetts and the 4 longer sleeves go into the side grommetts. Failure to properly place the spacers may cause the screen to crack and will make screw insertion a bit more difficult.
on my mp3 400 (2008) there are no spacers in the grommets. that is the way it came from the factory. maybe that is why my fabbri windshield cracked. all the grommets are exactly the same size. two bottom are not different.
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
jerryw wrote:
If I am understanding what you are talking about (the bolts that hold the Piaggio diverter) you can go to a good hardware store (Elliott's in Dallas) and find ones that fit with washers, spacers, etc., in all lengths. The cost is about 30 cents each at most, you don't have to wait for shipping. The only difference is head size. The Piaggio ones take a 4mm wrench. The ones in the store require a 6mm. The wrench costs about $1.50. Just be sure to check the threads. Take one into the store with you.

And I am as big a UT fan as anyone. I went to law school there - long ago.
My hometown is Lampasas. We are responsible for Johnny (Lam) Jones, going to UT. When the Oklahoma' Scouts, came to see him play Belton, the coach had him sit the game out. It was Friday Night Lights "out", for Barry. We are also famous for the Storm's Hamburger. I have to get off this subject or my wife will get a call from me in Austin, in about 8 hours.
@ramblerdan avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2008
Location: Saratoga, N.Y.
 
Ossessionato
@ramblerdan avatar
2009 MP3 400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 2008
Location: Saratoga, N.Y.
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
Papa Bear wrote:
on my mp3 400 (2008) there are no spacers in the grommets. that is the way it came from the factory. maybe that is why my fabbri windshield cracked.
Oh, no! Yes, that is very likely the reason for the crack.
Papa Bear wrote:
all the grommets are exactly the same size. two bottom are not different.
The grommets are identical; the two lower spacers are different from the rest.
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1062
Location: Zwaag
 
Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1062
Location: Zwaag
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
ramblerdan wrote:
Papa Bear wrote:
on my mp3 400 (2008) there are no spacers in the grommets. that is the way it came from the factory. maybe that is why my fabbri windshield cracked.
Oh, no! Yes, that is very likely the reason for the crack.
Papa Bear wrote:
all the grommets are exactly the same size. two bottom are not different.
The grommets are identical; the two lower spacers are different from the rest.
I looked at the pictures in the topic about the cracked screen and I am almost sure it happend because the spacers are missing.
Without te spacers you can turn the screws to thight and you get to much tension on the screen, a little bump in the road can make it split.

Are you sure your dealer did not forget to put them back in after exchanging the shields?
If they forgot, they have to replace the screen and not Givi
@digart avatar
UTC

Member
Piaggio MP3-400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Member
@digart avatar
Piaggio MP3-400
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14
Location: Sacramento, CA
UTC quote
My MP3 400 also came from the factory (build Nov 2007) without any spacers in the windshield grommets. Maybe I was lucky that I did not crack my Fabri windshield upon installation.
@jerryw avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1123
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Molto Verboso
@jerryw avatar
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1123
Location: Dallas, TX
UTC quote
Papa Bear, my son gave me Lam Jones picture of the tower lit #1 signed by Lam for my birthday. It's hanging in my office.

Sorry about the cracked windshield. The F1 uses rubber washers between the Piaggio wind deflector and the F1 shield -- no cracks. Some don't like the F1 but it works well for me. Two things I like are it is thicker Plexiglas and no hardware is required.
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
Dutchman wrote:
ramblerdan wrote:
Papa Bear wrote:
on my mp3 400 (2008) there are no spacers in the grommets. that is the way it came from the factory. maybe that is why my fabbri windshield cracked.
Oh, no! Yes, that is very likely the reason for the crack.
Papa Bear wrote:
all the grommets are exactly the same size. two bottom are not different.
The grommets are identical; the two lower spacers are different from the rest.
I looked at the pictures in the topic about the cracked screen and I am almost sure it happend because the spacers are missing.

Without te spacers you can turn the screws to thight and you get to much tension on the screen, a little bump in the road can make it split.

Are you sure your dealer did not forget to put them back in after exchanging the shields?
I changed out the windshield, myself. Dealer is giving me the missing spacers and hopefully the crack won't spread for awhile.
If they forgot, they have to replace the screen and not Givi
OP
@papa_bear avatar
UTC

Hooked
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
 
Hooked
@papa_bear avatar
2016 MP-3 500
Joined: UTC
Posts: 459
Location: Austin, TX
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
Dutchman wrote:
ramblerdan wrote:
Papa Bear wrote:
on my mp3 400 (2008) there are no spacers in the grommets. that is the way it came from the factory. maybe that is why my fabbri windshield cracked.
Oh, no! Yes, that is very likely the reason for the crack.
Papa Bear wrote:
all the grommets are exactly the same size. two bottom are not different.
The grommets are identical; the two lower spacers are different from the rest.
I looked at the pictures in the topic about the cracked screen and I am almost sure it happend because the spacers are missing.
Without te spacers you can turn the screws to thight and you get to much tension on the screen, a little bump in the road can make it split.

Are you sure your dealer did not forget to put them back in after exchanging the shields?
If they forgot, they have to replace the screen and not Givi
@skymizer avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scoot Sold
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3084
Location: NYS
 
Ossessionato
@skymizer avatar
Scoot Sold
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3084
Location: NYS
UTC quote
Re: Screen Grommetts for the 125-250-400
ponydrvr wrote:
I ordered an extra set of grommetts and spacers as well when I put on a GIVI windscreen. In the spring I will be going back to the stock screen. Just a word of caution though, be certain to order the spacers that go inside the grommetts. and be aware that there are two differnet lengths for them. The 2 short sleeves go into the bottom grommetts and the 4 longer sleeves go into the side grommetts. Failure to properly place the spacers may cause the screen to crack and will make screw insertion a bit more difficult.
I have 3 screens for my 250, the stock screen, a fabbri medium screen and givi tall screen (not the curvey-over-the-head one! YIKES!) Anyway, when I initially removed my stock screen, I also found the same two shorter sleeves "at the bottom" (ALL the grommets themselves, ARE the SAME). SO I agree with you ponydrvr....my findings were the same.....only 2 ARE different.
When/if you remove the grommets and spacers, DO set them aside in the same order you took them out (left, left...right, right...bottom, bottom), and reuse them in same order on your new screen. better yet, if you own other screen(s)...why not order seperate sets for them (from your dealer or ?)...makes the change-out so-much easier, these parts ARE cheap and you'll know you set em in correctly and most of all safely!!
It's SO important that we ALWAYS be mindful of what we are removing/replacing/installing/reinstalling/or creating/improvising at all times. Shoot....If I EVER had a "screen running a crack".....I'd crack! Would def scare the ba-geez-ziz outta me! (ya know, kinda like poop!) Laughing emoticon
Ride safe....See safe.....no crackin' here! Clap emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0214s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0084s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]