@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
You can now have accounts doing all your banking on the internet, and once you have a debit card linked to your account, where the account is becomes somewhat irrelevant.
@pseudonym avatar
UTC

GTS 250ie

@pseudonym avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Witch wrote:
You MUST take a good camera with you!! We'll all want pictures, I'm sure!
This, after the scooter & paperwork, might be the most important thing!
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
Jim-

We've been away a long time, but there was, a while back a 6 month tourist visa. The 90 day period is for visa free travel. But, as Andrea said, simply call the embassy.

Our experience in traveling outside our home contry is that ATM card is the best way to handle cash needs. As for banks, Jim, see which UK banks have reasonable ATM policies and fees (or lack thereof) for overseas use. US banks tend to charge a percentage over the actual exchange rate, and some also charge a per transaction fee. Also check the US banks with a presence in the UK (Citi, Bank of America, etc) for competitive offers. Note that US ATM machines often charge $2 to $3 to issue money to a card from another bank, so factor this into your equation. For an extreme example, Bank of America's US branches charge $5 every time you use their US based ATM card outside the US, along with a 2 or 3% "foreign exchange fee". As someone noted, it might be difficult opening a US account without a Social Security number, and you would have to find a way to put money into that account, which involves transfer fees, etc. A low fee ATM card on a UK bank would work best. PM me and we can discuss this ad nauseam, if you like.

If you are the type that likes to pinch pennies, sales tax (varies from state to state) is worth considering, as it is added on to the "sale" price of the scoot, and is not recouped in the resale value, as the next buyer pays sales tax as well, and is not going to "reimburse" you for the taxes you paid.

You have lots of time to war game the best approaches, and with VOIP service like SKYPE, it's almost free to call the States and get info, as well as bargain with dealers. You can find the dealers on PiaggioUSA's web site. A good dealer, for a sale, might very well help you set up an address (see next paragraph) and should it be better for your itinerary, coordinate a sale with the dealer at your final destination.

It would not hurt to use a mail forwarding service as your US address. Not only does it establish a mailing address, but if you need something mailed to you while on the road, it can be sent there and then forwarded to where ever you are once it arrives. Thus, you only have to coordinate your receiving location when your letter/parcel is in the hands of the forwarding service, who can then ship to you with a fairly precise delivery date.

All in all, the planning part should be as much fun as the trip itself!

Al
@pdxscoot avatar
UTC

Addicted
BV500 - GTS250

Addicted
@pdxscoot avatar
BV500 - GTS250
UTC quote
Jim,

I agree with the prior post on a Social Security Number (man...that is some kind of oxymoron these days) to open a US bank account.

-Arjen
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
OK, one less thing to bother about then.
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300

El Macho
@dougl avatar
UTC quote
Nationwide Building Society is one of the cheapest ways to use your money in the US. No loaded exchange rates or fees on either their Credit Card or their debit card on their flex account. Worked wonderfully for me in the US five years ago.
OP
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That looks like very good advice, thanks.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#topcards

So that's a new bank account to sort out, but this end, so no problem.
@dougl avatar
UTC

El Macho

El Macho
@dougl avatar
UTC quote
The Flexaccount from Nationwide has consistently scored really high in Which surveys. It is VERY easy to manage online and there is even a high interest savings account linked to the current account which you can instantly use to transfer money back and forward.

Works well for me! The Visa Debit Card works really well with no charges in the USA.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
JimC,

You always have a bedroom just 35 miles outside Washington DC, 4 bedroom house with just the wife and myself. Have 2 car garage to park scooter or work on it, have lots of tools.

British Pub 15 minutes away.

Wayne B
Ashburn, Va.
@nettie avatar
UTC

Vespa GT 200 - Platinum White

@nettie avatar
Vespa GT 200 - Platinum White
UTC quote
Quote:
that and wonderful coors light. it's the "cats ass"

BTW! I read the phrase "cats ass" in Scoot magazine a few weeks after the cannonball - article was written by someone from Pennsylvania. ha
That was for our fantastic TMISC 2007 Meltdown Rally. You have to come in 2009! (our 2008 rally write up won't make it until the spring issue)
www.tmisc.org
www.myspace.com/tmisc
@sallad avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS

Molto Verboso
@sallad avatar
GTS
UTC quote
I can offer no insights better than those already in this thread...

... but I can offer an open door at my house here in Brooklyn if you need it (might be able to find you a spot in the garage too).

Give a shout when you're here.
@aviator47 avatar
UTC

@aviator47 avatar
UTC quote
And, if you travel via Greece------- Spare room is available

A&A
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0152s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0051s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]