OP
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Looking for any insights, tips, etc. for a potential noob...and yes, I know tobacco is bad, mkay, so we can check that off the list.
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
I like the blue note that comes in a can from my local dealer. I am not a big smoker but this stuff seems nice. I'd put a link up here for ya but the government blocks all tobacco related websites. Scream emoticon
UTC

My two damn feet

My two damn feet
UTC quote
Yeah, I am a pipe smoker.

First question do you have a pipe? if not get a corn cob.

Next thing if your local smoke shop has a crap selection (for some reason most do these days) you can always turn to the interwebs (which you have already done, redundancy is great!)

next thing, I would recommend an aromatic for a first timer (or someone who lives with persnickety people)

My first tobacco was this weird danish stuff that I had to let sit for two months. but then I discovered Ashton: Smooth Sailing and it was smooth indeed (chicks dig the smell too! I am leaving the misogyny in the parentheses). I would recommend that blend to anyone new to pipe smoking.

Just be mindful of a few things

1) you have to let your bowl carbonize or you will incinerate your pipe so start off with half bowls and when you finish let the ash and dottle sit in the bowl. Then the next day when you are going to have a smoke clean out your bowl run a pipe cleaner through the shank, and knock out the debris.

2) only smoke a pipe once a day, you can crack your pipe if you constantly heat and cool it. so let it sit for 24 hours before smoking it again.

3) be careful what you smoke in your pipes (some tobaccos will leave reminders that they were there for a very long time)

4) don't get caught up on what style/brand pipe to get look around and try to find something that suits you.

5) Pipe tobacco is much stronger than the average cigarette and too much nicotine can have the same effects as too much caffeine. So find out your limits or you could be one sad disoriented panda.

Check this site out

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Pipe smoking advice from a 19 year old, what's this world coming to!

Review page of Smooth Sailing ( I stumbled upon the blend before the page)
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2593
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Tobacco?? I thought they only had those signs up so that the cops wouldn't hassle them!
UTC

Hooked
PX150

Hooked
PX150
UTC quote
I've been a pipe smoker for almost 50 years. I may have a few insights for you.

First, look up on the web to see if there are any pipe clubs in your area. Also get a copy of Pipes magazine, it will have a listing of pipe and tobacco shows, some of which may be in your area. All this will give you acsess to people who also enjoy the pipe. Going to a pipe club meeting is invaluble for a noob, for all the help and pointers you will get from new friends who share the love for a good slow pipe smoke. Also don't be afraid of finding a pipe shop in your area, and hanging out and asking for advise.

Be very careful of what kind of tobacco you try. As a beginer you'll get "toungue bite" very easy. This happens when you smoke too fast, and the pipe gets too hot. While smoking, the pipe should never get so hot that you can't hold it to your cheek. It should be very warm, never hot.

GO SLOW!

Arromatic tobacco burns a bit hotter than non arromatic. Also a strait burley can be a bit harsh. A 50% mix of Golden Virginia and dark burley makes a good smooth smoke. For store bought stuff, try Half and Half brand. Not harsh, not to bad a room note on the nose. Burns clean.

Beware corncobs; they are not a long term pipe and tend to burn out. A good brier pipe will last you a lifetime, and is more durable than most will believe. Petersons, Nording, and other good brands can be picked up at pipe shows used for a small fraction of the cost new, and if well treated can last you the rest of your life. I've picked up 317 and 314 series Petersons for 15 to 25 dollars. They go new for 75 dollars or so. Expecive pipes are usally smoked by a person who appreciates them so they are not too badly carboned up. A little clean up and they're good to go.

Meershams are very overrated. They smoke a little dry, but are very fagile, and if dropped on a hard surface, like a sidewalk, you'll have some nice pieces of a meersham piple. I know, because I had one drop out of a shirt pocket, and that was the end of my meersham pipe.

You do need to rotate your pipes. But you can smoke them more than once a day. I usually start with a fresh pipe off the rack in the morning, and durring the day I may smake that pipe 3 to 4 times. That evening it gets cleaned out well with pipe cleaners, and put back on the rack for at least a few days. I have about a dozen pipes in rotation. If you do want to smoke your pipe more than once a day, just make sure its had time to cool off, dry out, and have a pipe cleaner run through it.

Do not try to smoke a pipe while on the go. Its not a ciggerette. A pipe needs to be smoked when you have the time to sit down, take your time and enjoy it slowly. Like while watching TV in the evening, or reading a good book.

You will need three pipes eventually to rotate, pipe cleaners, a tamper tool, and wood matches.

DO NOT USE A ZIPPO LIGHTER! It will taste like lighter fluid, scorch your piple as well.

Hope this was a help. If you have any questions, give me a shout.
@santiago avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS

Ossessionato
@santiago avatar
Vespa GTS
UTC quote
When I smoked a pipe I always tamped it down with a pipe tool or a nail with a flat head like a shingle nail, otherwise it would just go out.

Was that a good idea or is there a better way?
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
@79p200e avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@79p200e avatar
LX150
UTC quote
I just recently started somking pipe tobacco and love it. I started out with an aromatic, black midnight or blackbeards delight or some name like that. It's only like $2.99 for two ounces which is a hell of a deal. I just bought some new stuff which had no name that was a mix of a few tobaccos and enjoyed that as well. It's relaxing as hell to sit on the back patio with the dog and a beer and just smoke your pipe. You should give it a shot!

-Nick
UTC

Hooked
PX150

Hooked
PX150
UTC quote
Santiago wrote:
When I smoked a pipe I always tamped it down with a pipe tool or a nail with a flat head like a shingle nail, otherwise it would just go out.

Was that a good idea or is there a better way?
A pipe tool is made for that use. But be very carefull about tamping, too much or too tight and you will get a hot smoke. Be very gentle, tamping with only enough pressure to tamp down the ash on top without futher compressing the tobacco underneath. Too much tamping and you have to draw too hard.

As far as tamping, I've used a pipe tool, nail, empty .223 shell case. It all works.

But please, don't take a pocket knife blade and start reaming the bowl like some of the old timers did. Not unless your planning to through the pipe out soon. They make a special tool for shaping the cake. "Cake" is the layer of carbon inside the bowl, and it has to be kept shaped. Too much or uneven cake, and the bowl can crack. Most pipes you see with a cracked bowl, are from ill treatment by a moron, not the fault of the pipe.
OP
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Great info from everyone! Thanks!
@osteopath avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up

Molto Verboso
@osteopath avatar
'07 GTS 250ie, '09 MP3 500, '06 Harley Sportster '14 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
I like the long stemmed church wardens. I don't like the smoke too close to my face. Church Wardens remind me of Bilbo Baggins and the rest of the Hobbits.
@dademoss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250

Hooked
@dademoss avatar
GTS250
UTC quote
Might be a pipe or 20 in racks by my desk Laughing emoticon
@nightwing avatar
UTC

Contributor
2007 LX 150 (memories)

Contributor
@nightwing avatar
2007 LX 150 (memories)
UTC quote
Want pipe?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@eric avatar
UTC

Addicted
Avio Grey '07 GTV250

Addicted
@eric avatar
Avio Grey '07 GTV250
UTC quote
I smoke pipes and cigars on occasion. I also like collecting nicely carved briar pipes. Here are a few forum type sites where you can find out more than you ever wanted to know and chat with others.

http://forum.pipes.org

http://www.smokersforums.co.uk

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.pipes?lnk=
UTC

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.

Addicted
PX200 for aeons, Lambrettas in "60's",My wife's GTS250 when I'm good.
UTC quote
Serious stuff-at last!!!!
Good posts well written lots of pointers to fast track you.Took me back to the Shire.
Pay attention to the comments re "too hot" and dry/hot to the tongue.
The smell of a good pipe tobacco wafting off a porch on a summers evening is comparable to the smell of newly mown grass -ABSOLUTE MAGIC!!!
Amongst the very best things in life, I kid you not.
My compliments gentlemen.
@cortnie avatar
UTC

Hooked
Black GTS 250 SUPER

Hooked
@cortnie avatar
Black GTS 250 SUPER
UTC quote
I dont smoke from a pipe... but I know a few people who do, but they also like to roll their own stuff. We may be talking about completely different types of smoke here... Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0171s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]