@scooter_bug avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 LX 150 & 1969 Sprint Veloce

Molto Verboso
@scooter_bug avatar
UTC quote
I just called my insurance company and I was able to lower the premium on my car insurance because I no longer need rental coverage (why keep it, I have a 2nd vehicle) and I no longer drive the car to work. They put me in the leisure driving category (3-4,000 miles/year).
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
Honda Shadow VLX (Fly 150 sold)

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
Re: Owning a Vespa can save you money on your car insurance
Scooter Bug wrote:
I just called my insurance company and I was able to lower the premium on my car insurance because I no longer need rental coverage (why keep it, I have a 2nd vehicle) and I no longer drive the car to work. They put me in the leisure driving category (3-4,000 miles/year).
GEICO says leisure class is < 5000 miles/year, and even so, my auto insurance continues to escalate despite no claims in the past 25 years, and I have special discounts for certain government affiliations.
@redxluckyxcharms avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 Siena Ivory GTV 250ie "Sasha"

Hooked
@redxluckyxcharms avatar
UTC quote
uhmm I have heard horrible stuff about geico. I have progressive and I think it's great. My Vespa which has full coverage and the works is only 32 bucks a month(is that good?) and because I had my car with them my car insurance went down 10 bucks from 52 to 42! Again, I have only been with one company so I am not sure all that is good. but hey alot of my friends are paying hundreds it seems like. My car is also a 96 acura and is payed off and whatnot and I have like maybe one traffic violation for not getting new plates on time..soooo...

hmm maybe all that was to much information. Take it as you will.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
Well I see you live in Indiana, and where you live has a lot to do with insurance costs.

We pay a premium for living in LA where we have more than our share of DUIs.
@jdsski avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 Super

Hooked
@jdsski avatar
GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
redxluckyxcharms wrote:
uhmm I have heard horrible stuff about geico. .
I will say I've heard horrible things about GEICO but for motorcycle coverages only. Only hear of positive things about GEICO's auto coverages.
OP
@scooter_bug avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@scooter_bug avatar
UTC quote
JDSski wrote:
redxluckyxcharms wrote:
I will say I've heard horrible things about GEICO but for motorcycle coverages only. Only hear of positive things about GEICO's auto coverages.
I have GEICO for both the car and scooter. When it came time to actually bind the coverage for the scooter, it was higher than the quote I was given when shopping around but lower or equal to the other quotes I got. I haven't had any problems with them.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
JDSski wrote:
redxluckyxcharms wrote:
I've been with GEICO since 1962; compared rates a few times, but nobody could beat them. No claims in the past 16 years.
@menhir avatar
UTC

@menhir avatar
UTC quote
What horrible stuff have you heard about Geico?

I haven't made the switch yet, but I have a great quote in hand and my finger is on the button.

So if there is a problem with Geico motorcycle insurance, it would be nice if someone could lay it out on the table.
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@louisiana_geezer avatar
UTC quote
I didn't bother to check any competitive rates since GEICO has always proven to offer me the most affordable rates on my cars. As I said above, GEICO has been my carrier for more than 46 years.

Based on another thread in which another MVer said his carrier (not GEICO) would not pay a hit and run claim, I contacted GEICO for clarification on this. In order to be covered in a hit and run incident, you need to have full coverage.
@irishtim avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v

Ossessionato
@irishtim avatar
2005 Genuine Stella 150, 2008 Genuine Buddy, 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150 3v
UTC quote
My agent rides a scoot so State Farm gets our MV's. They are second to none on our vintage bikes too.
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 GTV, 2007 Ninja 250

Enthusiast
2009 GTV, 2007 Ninja 250
UTC quote
I have Allstate, they are fantastic, full coverage for $112/annually.
@fly_boy avatar
UTC

Hooked
PIAGGIO FLY 150

Hooked
@fly_boy avatar
PIAGGIO FLY 150
UTC quote
If you are going to compare ins you really need more info.
Like state, city, coverage types, coverage amounts, duductables.
Is theft covered? CSAA does not cover theft in calif bay area.
ETC....
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
scooder wrote:
I have Allstate, they are fantastic, full coverage for $112/annually.
There are so many negative rumors about auto/bike insurance, they just can't all possibly be true! For instance I heard that AllState is great, but only right up to the point where you have to collect from them on a claim, then it's a different story! (However the man who told me this was a slimeball insurance salesman who was promoting his own companies..!)

Geico has been great for me and has inexpensive premiums in sky-high expensive-insurance NJ too. -But only for my scooters! Their policy on my car is just so-so (but not bad), but for my wife to switch over to them with her car would've been way too much extra expense! Go figure....???
@redxluckyxcharms avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@redxluckyxcharms avatar
UTC quote
Louisiana_Geezer wrote:
Well I see you live in Indiana, and where you live has a lot to do with insurance costs.
Yea, dude I lived in so cali for 20 years, but my parents paid for insurence, and they were always like saying how expensive it was! so I am probably gonna be in for a rude awakening soon if/when I move back.

My friend alex has geico and he just explained to me that they didn't tell him everything about his insurance policy and I guess they messed up his make and model of his scooter. bah.

I was just overall very pleased with the knowledge of progressive and knowing that they give you discounts for not having tickets or for being with them for so long. But that may standard with other insurence companies too.
@scoot_in_va avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio Fly 50: "L'Escargot Rouge" (the red snail)

Addicted
@scoot_in_va avatar
Piaggio Fly 50: "L'Escargot Rouge" (the red snail)
UTC quote
I have 3 cars insured with Geico for over 10 years and they have always given me first-class service the few times I have had to make a claim, but my scooter is insured with Progressive.

The quote Geico gave me for the scooter was insanely high, but Progressive gave me all the coverage I wanted for <$100. Doesn't make any sense does it?
UTC

Aurora Blue LX50

Aurora Blue LX50
UTC quote
It was easy!
I have Geico on my cars, so I went with them for the scoot. The policy is only $110 for the year, but the coverage amounts are very low. Only about $5000 for damages to another vehicle and $10,000 for injury.
I plan on not having to use it!
@tubajim avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
06 GT200

Enthusiast
@tubajim avatar
06 GT200
UTC quote
Insurance
This string will never be able to close!!
Insurance companies are basically all full of$!#$ depending on your situation. I had Progressive for a while...until they reversed a claim!!!
Small claims court made them pay up. I have Geico right now...they were great when my Stella was crashed in my Deer collision a few years ago, and then again when its replacement Stella was stolen. In my case, I have had trouble with them with auto insurance...never at fault, but they sure made me think so.
The fact is, all insurance will try to get away with what they can, now and then. Hopefully you won't be their target! As the saying goes, ' Sometimes you're the Statue, sometimes you're the Pigeon!
BTW...I pay $242 per year for 3 scoots...full coverage.
TubaJim
@hawgklr avatar
UTC

Hooked
Excalibur!

Hooked
@hawgklr avatar
Excalibur!
UTC quote
TubaJim's got it mostly right...But since everyone has a story to tell, allow me...
A friend of the family had Allstate coverage for everything they owned-for years with nary a claim. Seems Allstate does periodic checks on their account holders and Allstate canceled him for no good reason. Thats too much Big Brother for my taste.
About 25 years ago a drunken sailor rear ended my wife and I, totaling my absolutely cherry Pontiac...(he fled the scene on foot). I had GEICO (Gov't Employee Insurance CO) at the time BUT so did the sailor. GEICO screwed us so bad on the claim I'd NEVER go back.

Stick with "little" insurers when you can...Is my best advise. More importantly,your credit rating, where you live and what you drive are the fundamental differences in your premium charges.
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
UTC

Addicted
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper

Addicted
@trowel_and_cuffs avatar
2009 Vespa GTS Super duper pooper scooper
UTC quote
I don't know if this is true but I think they check your area (zip code) for things like motorcycle related accidents, thefts, and any other 2 wheeled claim and base it on that estimation. Same with the auto insurance.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0182s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]