@bdwelle avatar
UTC

Lurker
2002 ET4 - custom painted Lamborghini orange

Lurker
@bdwelle avatar
UTC quote
I've had my ET4 for 5+ years now and overall it's super solid.

Last night I jumped on and immediately sensed that something wasn't quite right with the handlebars. Sighting down from the bars to the front wheel, it seems that the bars are now about 1-2 degrees off from "straight" with respect to the direction of the front wheel. This happens all the time on bicycles when you loosen the headset...

I've attempted to capture what I'm referring to in the attached pic. You can see that the wheel is pointed straight ahead, and the bars are 1-2 degrees to the left...

I'm not familiar with how the handlebars are attached on the ET4 - is it possible that something similar has happened?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@woodenhead avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GT60

Molto Verboso
@woodenhead avatar
GT60
UTC quote
Handlebar alignment was recently discussed here :

handlebar realignment question

cheers
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'
UTC quote
the bars are kept in place by means of a big nut at the top of the fork, where it joins to the headset. it can be accessed by removing the handlebar fairings. it's usually deliberately not tightened completely, so that the bars will 'give' in a crash and not impale the rider.

the headset can get knocked out of alignment for a number of reasons - for example when the scooter is dropped, or even going over a large pothole. the 'proper' way to realign the bars is to take of the headset cover, loosen the nut, realign the bars, and re-tighten it, but that is a pain. unless they're seriously out of alignment or the nut is very loose and in need of tightening, you can usually muscle the bars back into alignment by bracing the front wheel against something and pulling the handlebars sharply.
OP
@bdwelle avatar
UTC

Lurker

Lurker
@bdwelle avatar
UTC quote
thanks for the quick replies! I was able to straighten it out by banging the bars against the steering stops.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0088s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0019s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]