OP
@offthemap avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
 
Enthusiast
@offthemap avatar
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
UTC quote
Ok guys, after reading numerous threads about how much most of you hate these tires, I find myself afraid of them. The tires on my scoot have 1500 miles on them and they still look new. They had 1200 on them when I bought the bike. I am fairly new to scootering so I ride very conservatively, don't go on freeways, do not plan on riding in the rain, don't scream around corners...do I need to be afraid of my tires? I hate the idea of throwing away what looks like a perfectly good tire...but like I said, reading about them here has planted fear and loathing in my head.
@coprock avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 GTS, 2006 Kymco 150, '53 Blue Sparkle Gretsch, '66 Rogers Red/Black Onyx
Joined: UTC
Posts: 492
Location: Ciudad de la Reina de los Angeles
 
Hooked
@coprock avatar
2007 GTS, 2006 Kymco 150, '53 Blue Sparkle Gretsch, '66 Rogers Red/Black Onyx
Joined: UTC
Posts: 492
Location: Ciudad de la Reina de los Angeles
UTC quote
While i would not purchase them, I think it is fine to ride them for their expected life span. I would probably change them out at 3000 miles, when the rear would most likely be ready for replacement.
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 669
 
Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 669
UTC quote
^^^^^^^^
+1

IMHO You should never ever, ever fear your bike, scoot, moped or anything. Respect it yes. Are Savas bad? I say yes but they're not dangerous. If so you'd hear a ton of blow out stories on here about how many people crashed due to their shity Savas and I have yet to see that here. Order a new pair. They don't have to be top of the line ( *cough* heidenau) but really anything is better than Savas. Remember you are in control of your ride. Do a visual and check the pressure every time you get on to help ease anxiety but don't fear. Once fear kicks in you should stop riding because you have lost the ability to properly handle situations and have become a hazard to you and your peers. How is that for a run on sentence?
Scoot well brotha,
~El Josh AKA Ruby

Remember this passage from dune

" I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."

God Damn if Frank Herbert wasn't a genius
@hulking_war_machine avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS250 Black!!!
Joined: UTC
Posts: 569
Location: Splitting the rumps of the wicked!
 
Addicted
@hulking_war_machine avatar
GTS250 Black!!!
Joined: UTC
Posts: 569
Location: Splitting the rumps of the wicked!
UTC quote
Go with a set of Kendas they can be had at a very nice price and they are twice the tire Savas are. I had savas on mine and they just never felt stable while cornering, I picked up a rear kenda when I got a flat and immediately knew I had to get a front one also the feel was so much better. Just my opinion.
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
 
WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
UTC quote
not trying to offend my brotha, but as you stated above if your going to take it easy and ride like an old lady, you'll be fine.

If you decide to ride hard and fast, and on the freeways, then change them.

Ride safe

Manny
OP
@offthemap avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
 
Enthusiast
@offthemap avatar
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
UTC quote
Thanks guys...I feel better...love the poem and advice about fear. Truly. I am trying to prioritize gear I want to get and given that, for the time being, I will be riding "like an old lady" - I will get the replacement tires later. Oh and by the way....I may ride like an old lady and actually BE an older lady, but I am out there riding!!! Razz emoticon

Thanks again! Happy trails to you all!
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
 
WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6695
Location: Los Angeles Kings, Stanley Cup Champions X2
UTC quote
Offthemap wrote:
Thanks guys...I feel better...love the poem and advice about fear. Truly. I am trying to prioritize gear I want to get and given that, for the time being, I will be riding "like an old lady" - I will get the replacement tires later. Oh and by the way....I may ride like an old lady and actually BE an older lady, but I am out there riding!!! Razz emoticon

Thanks again! Happy trails to you all!
You'll always be a Lady to me, no offense ment.

Manny
@macchianera avatar
UTC

Member
Gtv 250, DL 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 49
Location: New York/Rome
 
Member
@macchianera avatar
Gtv 250, DL 150
Joined: UTC
Posts: 49
Location: New York/Rome
UTC quote
I think savas are just fine. they are all year around. you can get better/more grippy tires but if you drive in the rain, a slick tire will not be as stable.
they are ok to drive everywhere, pretty much mediocre under any condition.

people can't blame their tires for crashing.
a lot of complains are about cornering... they really sucks, but then again if you corner with a 12 inch wheel, sooner or later you go down.

savas are standard on vespa because are 4 seasons.

I would keep them until is time to change and pick a tire that fits best
i.e.
do you drive solo or 1 up?
what kind of weight/speed
rain/dirt roads?
pot holes?
want to corner like superbikes?

check on the side of the tires, the numbers tell max speed, max charge and other essential info...
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 669
 
Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 669
UTC quote
macchianera wrote:
I think savas are just fine. they are all year around. you can get better/more grippy tires but if you drive in the rain, a slick tire will not be as stable.
they are ok to drive everywhere, pretty much mediocre under any condition.

people can't blame their tires for crashing.
a lot of complains are about cornering... they really sucks, but then again if you corner with a 12 inch wheel, sooner or later you go down.

savas are standard on vespa because are 4 seasons.

I would keep them until is time to change and pick a tire that fits best
i.e.
do you drive solo or 1 up?
what kind of weight/speed
rain/dirt roads?
pot holes?
want to corner like superbikes?

check on the side of the tires, the numbers tell max speed, max charge and other essential info...
What The? emoticon
OP
@offthemap avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
 
Enthusiast
@offthemap avatar
Red GTS 250 ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 65
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA
UTC quote
snapshot05 wrote:
Offthemap wrote:
Thanks guys...I feel better...love the poem and advice about fear. Truly. I am trying to prioritize gear I want to get and given that, for the time being, I will be riding "like an old lady" - I will get the replacement tires later. Oh and by the way....I may ride like an old lady and actually BE an older lady, but I am out there riding!!! Razz emoticon

Thanks again! Happy trails to you all!
You'll always be a Lady to me, no offense ment.

Manny
None taken. Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0138s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0048s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]