@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
So I'd been having problems with my oil light coming on when it was cold outside. As long as I let the scoot warm up everything was fine. If I didn't it would come on. So I went out today and bought some 0W40 and changed the oil. I let the engine cool completely down. Started it out and didn't allow a warm up and she ran great and the oil light never came on.
The oil was changed 2k miles ago but looked pretty bad and seemed more viscous than the new oil I put in. I trust my dealer had something to do with this. God I hate them. Yet another testament to being a do it your selfer.
@papa_smurf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS250ie, ET4

Molto Verboso
@papa_smurf avatar
GTS250ie, ET4
UTC quote
When I was researching oil for my ET4 and GTS I found the only oil I could buy that wasnt a "Scooter Oil" was Mobile1 0w-40. Been using it since 2002 in 2 et4's a BV250 and GTS with no problems. I use that oil for the full riding season
@fogie avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@fogie avatar
UTC quote
This is also good stuff: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx
@cary_alburn avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@cary_alburn avatar
LX150
UTC quote
No doubt that oil that is too thick won't lube properly in the cold. I run pretty thick stuff in my airplane (equivalent of 40 weight) in the winter, thicker in the summer (50 weight), but in the winter, I preheat my airplane so that the oil is almost to within minimum operating temp and the heads are also in the green. It's a little hard to preheat a scooter, so the next best thing is to run a thinner or a multi-weight oil--but it's also important not to get the engine overheated and lose that lubrication to too thin an oil. Darned if you do, darned if you don't, right?

Cary
OP
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
Right on

Don't you have to heat the plane up anyways?
I mean don't you have to get the EGT, carb heater, and Air/Fuel mix all situated pre take off?
@firej avatar
UTC

Hooked
over 60 scooter spanning 75 years

Hooked
@firej avatar
over 60 scooter spanning 75 years
UTC quote
Josh do you keep your scooter outside ???

you can get this little magnet heater that plugs in , also when was the last time you changed you spark plug to an NGK

try using the synblend Castrol 10W40 its a good all around unless you can find the 15w40 for deisel trucks I think shell makes it

the magnet heater is like 40 bucks Kats makes the best they have been around forever since the 40's

FireJ
OP
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250ie

Addicted
@el_josh_aka_ruby avatar
GTS 250ie
UTC quote
FireJ wrote:
Josh do you keep your scooter outside ???

you can get this little magnet heater that plugs in , also when was the last time you changed you spark plug to an NGK

try using the synblend Castrol 10W40 its a good all around unless you can find the 15w40 for deisel trucks I think shell makes it

the magnet heater is like 40 bucks Kats makes the best they have been around forever since the 40's

FireJ
Yes and no, most of the time, I store her in my garage. I work nights at a hospital and the only weather protection I have is a large tree. So there are cold mornings. The problem has been solved though. The issue looks like it was caused by the dealer. This is not surprising. If you look through my posts you'll notice that I've many issues with the in the past. I honestly have no idea what oil they put in it. The oil that was drained looked pretty close to tar and had the viscosity close to honey. It was pretty nasty looking. I bought full synthetic mobil one 0w40. The problem is gone now. I was planning on buying 5w40 or 10w40 but the store that I was at had neither in a full synthetic type. In fact it was 0C in my garage and I just started up and drove off with maybe 45 sec of "warm up." I had been spending about 5 mins at a minimum. Once I was on the highway it was -2C and the motor still haven't moved off of 1 bar yet. Like I said the oil light never came on.
My GTS has only about 4 k miles on it so I haven't messed with the plugs yet.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0153s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]