OP
@steve_mcgarrett avatar
UTC

A Few Vintage Scoot's

@steve_mcgarrett avatar
A Few Vintage Scoot's
UTC quote
I'm looking for some help here about "Mod" lights on a vintage Vespa.

I've checked several photos that I have of old "Mod" style scoots, and it looks to me that some lights are not even connected! I guess this is just for "show". Can anyone provide any input/truth about this?

Just wondering what the output Amp's would be generated from the Scoot (Vespa P200)
As I'm going to be adding a few lights and want to know what the limits would be (4 additional Lights).

I heard that for some application you would parallel several batteries? If this were so, what affect would this have on the scooter?

I know I'm all over the place here, would appreciate any input.

Thanks
@rover_eric avatar
UTC

1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150

@rover_eric avatar
1965 Vespa SS180, 1963 Lambretta LI150
UTC quote
well, you have various options.

A guy in my club ran his NON BATTERY scooter ( a sprint, in this case ) ...and then just stuck a big wet cell battery in the glovebox that he'd turn on the lights with via auxilliary switch. When he was done, he'd put the battery on a trickle charger. Since it's mostly for show, he would only turn on the lights on rare occasions, so this was fine.

You can opt for a bigger capacity battery ... running batteries in parallel, etc.

Also having enough magnetism in your flywheel and stator combo that you get sufficient voltage at the rectifier to continuously recharge the batteries.

Honestly, i don't know how i'd do it.

On my lambretta, i'd probably wire the whole bike non battery, run a voltage rectifier to shunt some DC power to an accessory battery, and run the accessory lights off of that. That way if the lights outran the charging capacity, at least your legal running lights would still be completely functional ( as they are AC powered and unaffected ). I actually drew up a big wiring diagram for my Jet200 because i'm going to put a Stebel horn on it... and i need a battery in there to do it... so i have a plan. Stay tuned.

There's all sorts of ways to do it.
⚠️ Last edited by Rover Eric on UTC; edited 1 time
@oultondave avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
@oultondave avatar
Blue 70th anniversary Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Most " MOD" scooters in the UK that have extra spot lights do not have them wired but just for show, however technically they are breaking the law, because if lights are fitted to any vehicle they must be working, but I've never seen anyone prosecuted for this offense. Mind you when around 50-100 scoots are travelling along to the coast I wouldn't fancy having to fill all the paperwork out either!!!!!!!!!
@oopsclunkthud avatar
UTC

Banned
3:5

Banned
@oopsclunkthud avatar
3:5
UTC quote
Given that it's 2008 you have a few more options. A P200 puts out ~80W so that's your budget.

Always on:
35W Headlight
5W taillight
3W speedo

Sometimes on:
10W brake light
42W turn signal

If you convert everything but the headlight to LED you should be able to run the extra lights sometimes as well. If I was to do it I'd put LEDs in the extra headlights as well.
OP
@steve_mcgarrett avatar
UTC

A Few Vintage Scoot's

@steve_mcgarrett avatar
A Few Vintage Scoot's
UTC quote
Eric

Oultondave

Patrick

Thank you all for your advise and support

I'll report back when I'm done and give you guys an update

Once again Thanks
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
I've got one spot on my px with a lower draw bulb, I can run both lights most of the time but usually don't.
@sussedmod avatar
UTC

Hooked
"Spirit of '63" Vespa VNB & '66 Vespa 125 Smallie

Hooked
@sussedmod avatar
UTC quote
pomansvespa wrote:
I've got one spot on my px with a lower draw bulb, I can run both lights most of the time but usually don't.
Where do you have your single spot wired to?

T.
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
the shop did it, but the spotlight is mounted on a front chrome rack and the wire lead goes under the horn cover and I believe wired to the horn in some way. the spot has a toggle switch mounted to the back of the cover so its easy on or off.
@sussedmod avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@sussedmod avatar
UTC quote
Right on... I've heard about people wiring through the horn.

And it works fine? Doesn't fade in and out or leave you stranded?

I've seen relay kits in the UK, but nothing like it over here.

T.
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
If its left on for several hours while riding the scoot I noticed the electric starter has a bit of a harder time turning the engine over so there is some additional draw that the charging system isn't compensating for, but its really minimal and I don't usually leave it on more then a couple of hours at at time. Besides, its just for show boating
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0313s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0077s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]