Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600
UTC quote
Quote:
Lost tool bag forces changes to planned spacewalks

Nov 19, 6:24 AM (ET)
By MIKE SCHNEIDER

HOUSTON (AP) - Flight controllers were revamping plans Wednesday for the remaining spacewalks planned during space shuttle Endeavour's visit to the international space station, after a crucial tool bag floated out to space during a repair trip.

The briefcase-sized tool bag drifted away from astronaut Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper on Tuesday as she cleaned and lubed a gummed-up joint on a wing of solar panels on the space station. She and fellow astronaut Stephen Bowen were midway through the first of four spacewalks planned for the mission. The tool bag was one of the largest items ever lost by a spacewalker.

As Stefanyshyn-Piper cleaned up a large gob of grease that seeped from a gun used to lubricate the joint, the tool case somehow became untethered from a larger bag and floated away along with a pair of grease guns, wipes and a putty knife attached to it.

"What it boils down to is all it takes is one small mistake for a tether not to be hooked up quite correctly or to slip off, and that's what happened here," said lead spacewalk officer John Ray.

Stefanyshyn-Piper and Bowen finished the spacewalk in almost seven hours by sharing tools from Bowen's bag. Ray noted that Stefanyshyn-Piper showed "real character and great discipline" by continuing on. She was the first woman to be assigned as lead spacewalker for a shuttle flight.

"Despite my little hiccup, or major hiccup, I think we did a good job out there," Stefanyshyn-Piper said after returning to the space station.
More: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081119/D94HVGT00.html

I wonder how many millions ($$$) the space-age tools cost? External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
Bet if there were shoes in that bag instead of tools it would have never been lost....

Just say'n....

R

8)

Razz emoticon
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
the sad part is, that's the end of her career with nasa. she'll be teaching theory after this flight is over.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
OMG "floated away along with a pair of grease vegetable peelers" ROFL emoticon vegetable peelers in space!!! That's the funniest substitution yet!!!
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2020 MP3 500 HPE Sport ABS/ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
UTC quote
"Ray noted that Stefanyshyn-Piper showed "real character and great discipline" by continuing on. She was the first woman to be assigned as lead spacewalker for a shuttle flight."

Wow. That's about as condescendingly sexist a statement as I've heard in a long time! What was she expected to do - break into tears and go lock herself in her sleeping bag? Sheesh! She's an astronaut, for goodness sake.

Next thing you know, NASA will be calling them "astronettes".

OP
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
OMG "floated away along with a pair of grease vegetable peelers" ROFL emoticon vegetable peelers in space!!! That's the funniest substitution yet!!!
I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to notice that!!! External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

1 hour, 9 minutes.
@mpfrank avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mpfrank avatar
UTC quote
Marcster wrote:
louisq wrote:
I was waiting to see how long it took for someone to notice that!!! External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

1 hour, 9 minutes.
Me too.

And of course it's a vegetable peeler! You don't think NASA's going to give that thing that MV changes to "vegetable peeler" to a woman? It just surprises me that they're sending fresh, unpeeled vegetables into space anyway. What ever happened to the good old days when astronaut meals were all squeezed from tubes?

Sheesh, sheesh, and double sheesh!

OP
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
UTC quote
Re: [NSR] NASA learns what we already know: Mind your tools!
Marcster wrote:
I wonder how many millions ($$$) the space-age tools cost? External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
I just heard on Headline News that the toolbag and contents were worth $100K. Not as bad as I would've thought.

Does NASA have insurance?

How about a Craftsmen or Snap-On lifetime warranty?
@cynner avatar
UTC

Addicted
'06 LX150

Addicted
@cynner avatar
'06 LX150
UTC quote
Re: [NSR] NASA learns what we already know: Mind your tools!
Marcster wrote:
I just heard on Headline News that the toolbag and contents were worth $100K. Not as bad as I would've thought.
From what I understand, most of those tools have to be custom-made and they're all titanium. Ouch!

--cindy, closet space geek
@judy avatar
UTC

World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

World Traveler
@judy avatar
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
UTC quote
I'm sitting here wondering when they finally drop out of the sky if it will be like the coke bottle in the movie 'The God's Must Be Crazy" Some group of aliens are gonna go What The? emoticon are these and what do we do with them Laughing emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0146s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]